ExxonMobil

Updated Nov 18, 2014

Customer Service Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview process was intense so be prepared. Lots of questions such as "give me a time when..." Prepare plenty of situational stories that show your ability to lead others, teach or train, persuade, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were able to influence someone to do something they did not want to do?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied online and received a request for an interview through school job search page. Interviewed on site, was a very straight forward behavioral interview. Interviewer was very nice and informative. He told me about what roles I might be performing on site and a little more about what the internship process would be like.

Interview Questions
    • What was one time you had to convince others that your approach to a problem was the correct approach.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied through university and got an on-campus interview. The interview took about 1 hour. Most of questions were behavior questions like how you deal with difficult persons in your group. The interviewer was very nice and informative. She told me if I got accepted to the next round it will be an full day onside interview. And it may take few weeks before I heard back from them. So I am still waiting.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

college recruitment.and Interview on campus. They only asked 4 or 5 easy behavioral questions total. The ecruiter took notes while I answered them, She smiled a lot and it was a relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • behavioral questions. Really easy questions...tell me about a time when   Answer Question

IT College Hire Interview

Applied through university after Exxon gave an information session at my school. I was then invited to interview on campus. This initial interview lasted about 45 minutes and consisted entirely of behavioral questions. The normal "tell me about a time when..." STAR type questions. The interviewer had a packet of questions they would read from and then record my responses, with minimal eye contact or other acknowledgement of my answers. You should come prepared with five or more situations that you can discuss for different topics like showing leadership, overcoming sudden challenges, dealing with uncooperative group members, etc. Don't memorize your stories but know what things to hit on for each one.

Within a week of my initial interview I was invited to come to the Houston office for the second round. I was flown there and treated to a dinner the night before the interview. This dinner gives you a chance to meet other candidates and new college hires. The next day we were taken to the campus, where a continental breakfast was provided and we ate alongside the interviewers as well as other ExxonMobil employees. Don't be afraid to speak up here and ask the employees questions or even try to engage in small talk.

After breakfast the interviews began. It was three interviews, back to back, 50 minutes each. Each interview was one-on-one with a different interviewer, but they were all behavioral and consisted of similar questions from the first round. Same type of STAR questions, read from a packet, with your answers being jotted down. It seemed that each interviewer was also able to ask one question of their own. After that there was a lunch and a presentation. It was a very long day, and you should be in "interview mode" for the entire time. Rest easy though, knowing that if you made it to the second round of interviews then you have a VERY good chance of getting an offer. Just be yourself and show them that you're someone they would want to work with.

I received my offer within a week from the second round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when things changed in the middle of a project and you had to start all over.   Answer Question
    I didn't even bother trying to negotiate because the offer was higher than I would have asked for.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I requested an interview through my school's career fair and interviewed maybe a week later. It was very straightforward, much like a conversation. My interviewer went through my resume and asked me about various things, asking typical behavioral questions along the way (biggest challenges I faced while doing X, conflict resolution examples, etc.). It was very relaxed and pleasant.

I received an email about a week later saying that I had made it through the first round of interviews. Then I got a call from a site about a week later in which I was mostly asked what kind of work I'm interested in doing as an intern and why I'm interested in working at ExxonMobil. I received an internship offer at this site about a week after that.

Interview Questions
    • What leadership skills have you learned/acquired through extracurricular activities that would be relevant to working at ExxonMobil?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate since the offer was well above what I indicated during the application process.

Global Real Estate and Facilities (GREF) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2014.

Several recruiters came to my colleges career fair. I got an in campus interview and got an email 13 days later saying I made it through to the next round and somebody would reach out to me. 19 days later somebody reached out to me scheduling a phone interview. This took place the same day and was really like a phone screening to make sure I didn't get this far by accident. I was told on the phone I made it through to a business line interview and somebody would reach out to me. 3 days later my big phone interview was scheduled. The phone interview was laid back but fairly difficult and lasted an hour. 6 days later I was called down to Houston and was flown down a week from then. They take VERY good care of their candidates, and I don't want to spoil the surprise.

The interview in Houston was long and intense, I won't lie, but all of the questions were valid. Everybody was very kind, especially Karen.

I got a call 45 minutes after I left the interview telling me I got the job and to expect an email shortly. The compensation is very fair.

No need to negotiate.

Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I was first invited to dinner on campus. I had another outstanding offer and they were very accommodating. Quickly did first round phone interview and then they sent me to Houston the next week for 2 more interviews. Interview Process was very structured and thorough. All interviews were very relaxed and conversational.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when your problem-solving technique was not working and how you changed it.
      Talk about a time when you had to use data analysis to solve a problem.
      Know your resume (as always) and have stories for everything.
        Answer Question
    Negotiating as an intern is probably not your best bet.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Contact them in a career fair on campus in Sep 23, be told to attend the interview next week. The interview is all about behavior question. And also the recruiter wish to know how you will deal with challenge problem and how you cooperate with different people. The interview lasts about 1 hour. I was told that there may be a call for an onsite visit if I pass this round. Last week, I get an email that I have entered the reference system but no further information right now

Project Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

The basic process of a phone interview then a whole day of on-site interviewing with management and peers. the on-sire interview will also include a plant tour. make sure to make it a point that you understand the equipment present in the plant.

Interview Questions
    • None. Be sure to ask numerous questions at the on-site interview this is your time to figure out if you want to work for this company if you are an experienced hire. IF there is any hint of incompetency on any of the hiring managers part then most probably your gut is correct.   Answer Question
    Non- negotiable