ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

Procurement Specialist Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Gave some preliminary tests and had a preliminary interview with recruiting agency.Actual interview with departament manager was long of almost 2 hrs, being asked from the typical questions to the more specific regarding certain situations trying to demonstrate skills and knowledge.Second interview with GM, was shorter and based on previous discussion.

Negotations of salary package was held afterwards based on my input on expected pay.

Pricing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

the process is stringent and laborious. I don't think there have to be 4 separate interviews to identify if a candidate is worthy of a job offer. Clearly the need for minorities is represented in the hiring practices.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2013.

I interviewed through college or university. Submitted resume on my college's career website and then got an email from the recruiter. I then scheduled the interview time. The interview took 1 hour.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most challenge while working in a group project?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Very lengthy and extensive interview process. At my school, only a few students received an on-campus interview. This was a 1:1 behavioral interview. About 7 weeks later, I got a call to schedule a 2nd round phone interview. A week after the 2nd round, I was invited to the 3rd round on-site interview at the refinery. The company flew me out, and the first night was an informal dinner with exxonmobil engineers. This is a time for you to get to know the people you'll possibly be working with. And it's also a time to show them that you'd be a great person to be around. The next day was the real deal - I was onsite at the refinery for about 6 hours, where I went through 3 interviews, a refinery tour, and a lunch with a few other engineers. Of the 3 interviews, 1 was technical, 1 was on soft skills, and the last was behavioral. Although the on-site interview was lengthy, it's important to keep your interview hat on the entire time. A week after my onsite, I was offered a position.

Some tips for the application process, know EXACTLY whether you want to work downstream or upstream. And know EXACTLY whether you want to pursue the managerial or technical track. The Exxonmobil reps want to be sure you know exactly what you are interested in, and be sure to stick with it throughout the entire interview process. They don't want someone who's unsure of what they want to do.

Also, be personable. Everyone I met throughout my interviews was very smart but also personable. It helps to be very articulate as well, because they like good communicators.

And be sure to ask as many questions as you can because it'll show a genuine interest. Ask questions that are intelligent and job specific.

Interview Questions
    • An ethical situation that you faced? Managerial or technical? What class did you dislike the most?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in HarbourFront (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in HarbourFront (Singapore)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

2 rounds of interviews, First round with 2 interviewers, Second round with management.
    At the first round interview, questions asked were mostly resume based and on your past experiences, and institutional based questions. Interview lasted about 30-40 mins. At the end of the interview, will be asked on area of interest within the business unit should you be hired, therefore have to be familiar with different areas.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had difficult working with your teammates   Answer Question

Commercial Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Applied online. Invited to career talk. Received interview invitation a month later. The interviewers have worked for more than 10 years in the company, in manager level. Self introduction at first. One or two behavioural questions based on resume. The rest are questions regarding career planning, such as, are you willing to work in plants, what do you see yourself in 5-year time. It was very relaxing conversation. The interviewers also shared their working experience in the company as well as corporate culture.

Controller Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

It was a very bureaucratic process. I first applied online at Exxon's career website, the other day I received an e-mail, asking me if I'm interested in another position, I said yes. Following to that I've received an online test, Can't say it was too easy, mostly time consuming questions. Later I've got another e-mail asking my availability for the language and accounting phone test. I took the test on the following week. The lady was very polite asking me some basic accounting questions, kinda what is balance sheet, some examples to assets or liabilities, where would I put a debtor (in A/L?) At the and of the conversation she asked my availability to the final HQ interview in case I'd be selected, the thing is I was based in another country and they don't do the final interview online. So I asked for 10 days notice before the interview. They got back to me after 6-7 weeks, maybe more, I almost forget about them. So they invited me to the HQ. I was expecting them to covering my travel/visa expenses, but no, I paid for everything, since I really wanted the job I didn't care. I flew to Budapest, the office environment was looking really professional and safe. At first I got two interviewers (managers or seniors), the interview was totally behavioral and last for 1 hour. They were really nice and made me feel comfortable. They were noting my answers but not the examples I told them, they were noting how I took an action on the case. So after one hour I went to the lobby and waited for my second interview, had like a 10 min break, and then two other interviewers came to take me to the interview room. They were really nice as well, mostly similar behavioral questions, at the end I've been asked some technical questions about accounting, mostly about financial statements in general and the changes on the financial statements when the company make sales. Wasn't too hard. And some logical questions which have no correct answers, just want to see how you think. (how many gas station there are in Budapest-you need to make assumptions based on demographics, using population, public transport usage, car usage etc). So after the interview I told them I'll be in Hungary for until the weekend. I was expecting to hear the result till that time, however I didn't. So once I came back to my country I received an offer, no negotiation on salary. I accepted, the following process was very complicated. As I wasn't based in Hungary, they were asking for documents I can't provide like address card, tax number etc, and I had to go to the HQ again for the drug&health test, and to provide some Hungarian documents like criminal certificate. Exxon also has partnership with company providing services to Expatriates like me. I should say, comparing to other expat companies it wasn't so professional and they've caused me a lot of troubles. Anyway after a long time I get together all my documents and applied for the residence permit at the Hungarian embassy in my home country. Had no problem with the documents.

Interview Questions
    • Accounting phone questions:
      -What is balance sheet, income statement related questions
      -Where would you put the debtors, assets or liabilities

HQ interview:
      1st round: behavioral questions, what did you take action in a event ... kinda questions.
      Where you didn't agree with a team member, where you flex the company rules to achieve a goal(and another way around)....

2nd round: behavioral questions similar to same round and some technical questions such as describe me the changes when exxon sells gas.

View Answer

Summer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Applied online (UK summer internship in IT Technology), sent CV, work experience description, etc. After some online practice, passed online psychometric tests, got invited for the telephone interview. The interview was purely behavioral. At the end, there was a quick question about the role, something like 'why do you think you're suitable for this job?'.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about the time when you faced a obstacle while working on a project.

Talk about the time when you applied troubleshooting

View Answer

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I was told to speak with them at the career fair by a recruiter. Immediately was scheduled an on campus interview. This was basic STAR questions. Then received a phone call from a manager to see if I would be interested in her department. I flown down for an on site interview. The first night was dinner with a new engineer. The next day was very long and you had to be on your game at all times. I had two technical interviews. They want you to be crazy smart, personable, but also like the people in the department. It took at least a month for me to hear back.

Controller Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

There was one small interview at the agency and they started the application process for me. Then they invited me for the final interview at the company. It was around 2 hours long, with two different teams. It was completely in English, mostly behavioral-based questions and some easy accounting questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation where you had to work with people who were really hard on you and how did you solve this?   Answer Question