ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

Cost Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2012.

On Campus Interview
    Phone Interview
    On Site Interview (4 interview)

On campus interviews are relatively easy to get if you have solid resume. (high GPA, work experience etc.) It seems that all the interviews are processed into a large pool, which are accessible by managers of the site. Once the manager sees profile and like it, they will call you. All the interviews are very straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • On campus interview (expected behavioral questions)
      Phone interview and on-site (conversational laid back)
        Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Corporate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2008.

The interview process was great from beginning to end. I was picked up at the airport in a black town car with tinted windows and taken to a nice hotel. There was a casual group dinner the evening before, and the food was delicious. Upon arriving for the interview, I was assigned an escort who took me from interview to interview. The interview process was difficult, however it was enjoyable and I was treated with respect throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • There were many questions around strategic thinking. Be prepared to provide multiple examples of your strategic thinking capabilities   Answer Question

Lubricants Marketing and Supply Chain Management (Procurement) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2012.

It was an on-campus interview. Information session was arranged before the interview dates, where students could learn more about the company and meet the interviewer. The interview was pretty detailed, behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most and least favorite class throughout the college career?   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moncton, NB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moncton, NB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2010.

Interview was oriented to find the skills that the perfect candidate would need , I didnt have the skill but I had the background so I was hired

Refinery Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in February 2012.

The interview is quite difficult. First they want to make sure you know how to explain previous experience clearly and concisely.Secondly they as many personality questions. And thirdly they make sure you are fit to their employees by asking you personal questions.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what is the most difficult project you had to finish at your previous job?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I submitted my resume to Exxon at a Career Fair, and shortly afterward was called for an interview in an office in the same building. After this initial interview, which was largely informal, I was set up to do a second interview at the facility of work. I drove up there for a day long interview schedule with 3 or 4 different people, ranging from HR to the plant manager. After that, they were arranging yet a third interview down in Houston when I declined and joined a different company.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you can back up what you wrote on your resume.   Answer Question

Different job

Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied online through college's career services website and was given an interview before the annual career fair.

The interview consisted mainly of behavioral questions, 'tell about a time you...' and lasted over an hour. The representative I met with was very professional and a little stuffy, but some of the others seemed to be joking around with their interviewees. Exxon went through many interviews. In the hour-long timeslot there were around 5 interviews being held simultaneously in different rooms, and spread that across 5 days of interviewing.

Most of the questions they asked had to deal with my previous work on projects, so I would recommend having something to talk about on that end. As I applied just entering my sophomore year, I really only had a simple freshman design project to talk about, so I think somebody who has had previous internship/project experience would do well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when didn't have the capital necessary to complete a project. How did you react and what did you do to work around it?   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in July 2009.

Technical question and soft skill questions; know your resume well and be able to explain things at a higher level

no negotiation

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

They were great to work with throughout the whole process. Initially talked at my schools career fair, then had a 1:1 interview the next day. Was given a phone interview from the specific location I was interested in a couple of days later. Flown down for the final site interview the following week and given the offer on the spot during the 3rd and final interview of that day. Note - process was expedited as I had other offers that I was considering.

Interview Questions
    • I had previously worked on a very small project in an SRU unit, but had limited exposure to the actual SRU process. I was asked to draw the entire unit on a marker board and explain how it worked.   View Answer
    I was blown away by how high the offer was and didn't feel I needed to negotiate.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in February 2013.

I first met with a campus recruiter at the engineering job fair on campus. I went through my resume and talked about my research experience that I did the summer after my Freshman year. I got an on campus interview where I was asked the normal STAR questions about working with others and past experiences. Then, the interviewer asked about my interests and where I see my career going. I told her what I was interested in and she said I would fit well in the **** department and that she would pass my information along to them to see if they could find a spot for me. A few months later, I was contacted by the recruiter for the department who told me I would be flown to headquarters for a second interview with said department. The second interview consisted of three interviews with three different people, including a very senior level executive.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked questions specific to what I was interviewing for, even though it was outside of my topic of study at school.   Answer Question
    The salary is so competitive, I would not advise negotiating for intern positions.