ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I initially spoke with them at a university career fair. They tell you upfront that relocation to Texas is probably required, but I told the recruiters that I was definitely open to travel, so I applied online and was invited to interview a few days later. My first interview was held on campus, and should I be selected for the next round, I would interview with a specific site leading to the final round of all day interviews. The guy who interviewed me was clearly exhausted but still friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell us about a time you worked in a group and your team members were not contributing and how you personally handled that situation?   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

The interview consisted of a thorough background explanation and then a series of behavioral questions. My interviewer had a specific amount of time to interview me and only had about three questions that they had to have answered. There were no technical questions at all. The only technicalities discussed were during my explanation of my experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolla, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolla, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Very friendly interviewer. She told me a lot about what she does at Exxon, and even her involvement in the community. After introducing herself, she asked a variety of questions. Most seemed to be related to teamwork and conflicts. It seemed very easy to talk to her because it was very personal and relaxed.

Senior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clinton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clinton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2014.

Initial communication was through phone interview. Phone interview was quite technical and a team interview. Questions ranged from describing past and current work and examples of technical execution and team work.

I had my on-site visit within a month and was asked to give a 1 hour technical seminar. The hiring manager invited me for dinner the night before and described the company culture and what they were looking for. The technical seminar was followed by 8, 45 minute interviews. I had an opportunity to meet both early-career and experienced researchers and some managers. Everyone was technically sound and the facility had state-of-the-art lab/pilot equipment. Questions ranged from fundamentals discussion to program management, future technology growth areas and my career interests.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were straight forward. One unexpected question was why I didn't pursue a career in academia and why industrial research?   Answer Question
    Since I was applying for an experienced position, I did negotiate. The discussion with the manager was very straight-forward and I was kept at ease. The manager did check about my request but told that the salary was firm. ExxonMobil hires for life and there will be further growth opportunities once one joins.

I would suggest looking at the complete benefits package including base salary, health insurance, 401(K) company match, pension, bonus, stock options and other intangibles like growth opportunities and work environment. Do your research and understand and appreciate what you bring to the table. Have a minimum and maximum salary range in mind.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Career Development office asked for resumes from people interested in Exxon who had 3.5 or higher GPA, prior internship experience and leadership experience, and would be willing to relocate. Alumni who were exxon employees selected candidates to interview. Interview lasted about 45-60 minutes and included the typical behavioral questions and questions like "why Exxon?" From there they selected those to refer to any managers with positions to fill. About a week or so later I was contacted via email by my manager and set up a 20 minute phone interview the next day that ended in an offer.

No negotiation

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Originated at career fair. Was told that if I was chosen for an interview I would receive an email THAT NIGHT in which I would be given further instructions about attending their info sessions the next day. At the end of the info session they gave everyone their interview dates, times, and interviewer name. The interview was on campus. Standard behavioral type questions with a couple 'getting to know you' questions thrown in. If you prepare, it's not difficult. Was told at the end of that interview that I would receive an email in a week or so that let me know I made it to the second round or not. If so, it would be a phone interview. I'm still waiting on the email as of now.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had difficulty getting someone in your group to do as you asked.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Went to a career fair my university hosted and gave them my resume. I applied on the career center website and the ExxonMobil website. I got an interview 2 weeks later. The interview was pleasant but I had an ominous feeling about it as soon as I walked in.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were promised a resource and did not get it. How did you continue the project without the resource?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied online and received a request for an interview through school job search page. Interviewed on site, was a very straight forward behavioral interview. Interviewer was very nice and informative. He told me about what roles I might be performing on site and a little more about what the internship process would be like.

Interview Questions
    • What was one time you had to convince others that your approach to a problem was the correct approach.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Spoke with a lady at the career fair who got me an interview that same week on campus. I was asked mostly behavioral questions. Was told the next step would be a phone interview. Never heard back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you experienced a technical problem and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

ExxonMobil Engineer Interview

I applied online and received an email from the recruiting captain at my school. I also applied on my school's career website. I interviewed in a small cubicle with an engineer. The interviewer mainly looked at my resume, chose a piece of resume, then asked for an example of me doing something during that activity. They'll ask you why their company, and my suggestion is to copy down phrases from the website, from alumni you talk to, and from the company website to use later when asked about the company. I've found it more comfortable to include the things an alumni told me when I answer this.

Watch your body posture even when your mind is preoccupied with the question at hand. If you are moving too stiffly or abruptly you will come off as tense. If you rarely wear your dress clothes, wear them before the interview at least once for a few hours so you don't feel to stiff or confined in them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you motivated your team.

Tell me about how you problem solved in this experience on your resume.

Why ExxonMobil?

Why did you choose your major?
        View Answer