ExxonMobil

260 candidate interviews

Exploration Analyst Interview

Exploration Analyst
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2008.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of panel interivews. 1st round, interviewed by HR and one of the Controller. Last for 30 minutes. Ask for your background, why exxonmobil, why this role, what is your strengh and weakness, sort of behaviour interview. 2nd round, interviewed by another controller and your future supervisor, get into details of your prev. job experience and receivved some challenging questions.

Interview Question – Tell me a situation when you have conflict with people in your work and how you resolve the conflict.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My job agent negotiate for me, basically, not much space for negotiation as they considered their pay above average in the industry. You could negotiate your start day, that's it.

Engineering Interview

Engineering

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2009.

Interview Details – Selected for interview on Campus Career Fair. on campus Interview for 55 minutes. poeple were smart, friendly, attentive, businesslike. Experienced in the hiring process.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you lacked a resource to complete a task. What did you do? The result?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. None.

Territory Manager Interview

Territory Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of an on-campus interview during the university career fair. After a few weeks I was contacted for a second interview at ExxonMobil headquarters in Fairfax, VA. This interview consisted of an informal dinner and breakfast with a host, then three interviews before having an exit lunch. You get "wined and dined", which is nice. The interviews themselves are straight-to-the-point and don't mess around. Your resume gets picked apart, but I suppose if I was investing the type of money they do on new hires I'd make sure to know EXACTLY the type of person I was hiring.

Interview Question – What do you bring to the table for ExxonMobil?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer ("Contact Engineer") Interview

Chemical Engineer ("Contact Engineer")
Beaumont, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2009.

Interview Details – I was first contacted through my university's career services department. I had applied to be interviewed by ExxonMobil, and they had agreed to interview me during their on-campus interviews (which occur annually). The day prior to the interview, I attended an information session hosted by the company. It was not personalized in any way; there were about 50 future interviewees attending. I did not speak with any ExxonMobil employees at this function.

The next day, I had a 1:1 interview. I arrived early, checked in with the "receptionist" (who was an engineer), and went to the room when called. ExxonMobil uses a STAR system: Situation, Task (I think), Action, Result. My interviewer posed questions to me and wanted answers that touched on each of those four points. Questions included:

"Tell me about a time you had to go above and beyond what was required of you to complete a task."
"Tell me about a time you foresaw a problem no one else did."
"Tell me about a time you took the initiative to get something done."
"Tell me about a time you had a conflict with someone and how you resolved it."

After the interview, I shook hands and left.

Later that evening, around 6 PM, I got a call from the receptionist inviting me out to a group dinner. It was business casual (no one wore a tie). When I arrived at the restaurant, about 11 other interviewees were there, along with the whole recruiting team. It was rather pleasant, but I should have arrived a little earlier so that I had more of a choice where I sat. During the meal, there was absolutely no pressure. The only talk about work that was done was by some of the older ExxonMobil employees, who reminisced together. There was a lot of talk about sports, weather, and life in Texas.

About 3 weeks later, I got a call during lunchtime from an ExxonMobil employee from the Beaumont complex. This man was not on the recruiting team. In fact, no one on the recruiting team was from Beaumont, so my information must have changed hands at least once. The man on the phone asked me a little bit about which of three positions intrigued me the most, spoke to me about what ExxonMobil does, and how great it is, and then asked that we arrange a site visit (per my agreement). Of course I agreed, and we scheduled it for about 2 weeks later.

I traveled to the site without incident. I ate dinner with my host and had the rest of the night to myself at the hotel. The next morning, I met my host in the hotel lobby at about 7 AM for breakfast. We went to the complex at 8 AM, and I started by speaking for 30 min with someone whose self-proclaimed purpose was "to get me excited about working for ExxonMobil," though he only talked about hurricane damage. Then I had a 30 min 1:1 interview with a REALLY friendly lady who worked in accounting (or finance of some sort). She asked me questions such as:

"What project are you most proud of, and why?"
"Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision about an open-ended problem. Walk me through your thought process. How do you feel about the result?"
and some of the questions from the previous interview.

I then had a 30 min 1:1 interview with an engineer who had been with ExxonMobil for 10 years. He was supposed to give me a "technical interview" (no STAR questions). For this interview, he just wanted me to tell him about my toughest assignments (projects) in school, what my role was, which one worked out the best, etc.

I then had a third interview which was almost exactly the same as the first.

I then had lunch with my host and 2 of his coworker friends.

After lunch, we toured the facility.

I then had the last interview of the day with the head of the Facilities Planning Dept, which was the hardest one. She said she was unconvinced that I was driven and unconvinced I was a team player. “Convince me,” she said. It was tough. I still don’t know if she was playing some sort of doubting role or if she was being sincere.

The final interviewer had told me that they would contact me within 7 days. Two and a half weeks later, she called me personally and told me that they would be unable to make me an offer. She said that other candidates had slightly better "organizational experience" (which I assume to mean "work experience"), and that was the only category in which I was "edged out." I thanked her for the opportunity to be considered. I do not know if her reason for not giving me an offer was true. My work experience was known prior to my site interview, so perhaps the real reason is something else. Maybe I was some sort of alternate choice, which is why I had to wait so long to get a final decision.

I never had to take any written test of any kind, nor answer any technical questions, nor take a drug test.

Interview Questions

• Working at ExxonMobil requires teamwork. I'm not convinced you are a team player. Convince me.   Answer Question
  • I'm not convinced you are driven. Convince me.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you were under a strict deadline, and you were forced to re-think your approach to the problem at hand. By changing one aspect of your approach, you were then able to meet your deadline.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Baytown, TX

The process took 1 week - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2008.

Interview Details – I was hired from an on-campus job fair. The interview included a lot of hypothetical "what would you do" type questions. I was given a brief overview of the company and asked whether or not I would rather work in Upstream or Downstream. Even though I said I would rather work in Upstream they were clearly only recruiting for Downstream. If you are looking for a specific position you should VERY EXPLICITLY state it.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you were the on a team and your group members were not contributing. What did you do?   Answer Question
  • How do you deal with problems that seem like there are no solutions at first?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not choose to negotiate.

Internship Interview

Internship
El Paso, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2010.

Interview Details – The interview took place at my University (UTEP) at the student union center. A current employee greeted me and took attendance of other students coming in to interview. While waiting she tried starting conversation with myself and the other students. Most of the questions had to do with her position and her past experiences.
TIP:
I took this first encounter as a pre interview so I was sure not to engage into mundane or complex conversation. I kept my words minimal but very engaging. Example: so how was your senior year (since she was an alumni). This seem to have work well since every time someone else would try to converse with her she would continue on with that conversation with me instead of the person who began it.

When my interviewer was ready we went into a small (very small) room with a very small table with her chair and my chair directly across from one another. ( akward at first but I was slightly prepared since my communications teacher said that situation could happen). After all introductions were made she began to explain how the interview would go and that to expect any type of question at any time. Then disaster struck due to the actions of the university career center since they gave her a very outdated resume.
TIP:
HAVE AN EXTRA RESUME OR ANY INFORMATION DOCUMENT IN HAND I was already prepared and had my current resume with me but be sure to do the Sam as well but let them ask if they want it in my case she needed it.

After I cleared up the confusion we had a laugh (seeing how the old resume had my experience making pizzas) and that mishap was a good icebreaker for the interview to start. She had documents with questions that focused and the kind of person I am and my behavioral tendencies.
TIP:
Know before hand times where you made good decisions bad decisions, how you resolved conflict with others etc be sure to put in details that show how your thought process went and paraphrase technical parts ( as you may not be interviewing with someone in a similar field in my case she was civil engineering and I am electrical) but stress the positive even with the questions that focus on your negative aspects.

The answers I gave were put into three sections, she made it clear that the best section to be categorized in was the star section meaning a very satisfactory response. And the other two were for moderate and not satisfactory. This may help to ease any anxiety you might have when you see them writing things down. After jumping back and forth throuhgh questions she had asked me if I had any questions for her.

TIP 1: if you interview and you reached this point and you had skipped a question they asked this is the time to go back to be sure you earn another star. This happened to me so this is what I did and i threw in a brief explanation of the type of person I am.

TIP 2: if you didn't skip any questions then be sure you have done your homework and know some questions to the job that your interested in depending on the which field your interviewer is in be sure to have technical and non- technical questions in mind if you still draw a blank just ask about the diference between upstream and downstream.

Geoscience Recruit Interview

Geoscience Recruit
North Houston, TX

The process took 1 week - interviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2010.

Interview Details – I had an interview at AGU in San Francisco, in December 2009. That was a screening interview to see whether I would be selected for a short course (5 days) or an internship (summer).

I was selected to attend a short course in downtown Houston in March 2010, which consisted of 5 days, in a hotel, learning about the oil industry and "analyzing" old seismic records. On the final day, all students who attended the short course gave a poster presentation of research they had done.

Following that, I was selected for a third set of interviews, in north Houston, at Greenspoint, in August 2010. I figured, at that point, they were just figuring out where I would fit in and offer me a job following another set of "personality" type interactions with potential skills managers. An oral presentation was made at this point. I was told, from a colleague who works at XOM that the presentation needed to be technical. I used my thesis defense presentation and took some of the excessive detail out, because I figured "This isn't a thesis defense, right?" I was told, later on, that it wasn't detailed enough.

I was told I would hear from the hiring manager within two weeks. Any more than that and to call. I called three weeks later. I received an automated computer rejection. It said, verbatim:

"Dear [candidate],
Thank you for taking the time to apply for a job with ExxonMobil. We have reviewed your background and interests relative to the needs of hiring organizations. Unfortunately, we do not have a suitable opportunity for you at this time. We appreciate your interest in ExxonMobil and the opportunity you have given us to consider you for employment.

Sincerely,
ExxonMobil Recruitment"

Stay classy, ExxonMobil!

Interview Question – Where do you think you would fit in at ExxonMobil?   View Answer

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Senior Systems Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at ExxonMobil in March 2010.

Interview Details – i have got intervews on Feb.18th in my school for intership jo with 5 companies. I hve got one offer. 4 interest. I hve go day visit from P&G, will get phone interview from EXXON, ctigo company asked information fo their background check. so now I have to read another two interview

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you made diffcult decision.   Answer Question
  • Give an example of how you worked effectively with people to accomplish an important goal.   Answer Question

Procurement Associate Interview

Procurement Associate

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in July 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online to the Exxon Mobil BSC website. The procurement associate position online does not require a degree, but everyone has bachelar or above so probably do not apply unless you are a graduate. They took copies of our degrees so it might actually be required en lieu of experience. Also, foreign languages are nearly a must since Prague procurement handles all of Europe, Middle East, and Africa.

You take an analytics test before you are acceptable for an interview. If you do well, they call you and you interview in front of a few managers who ask you questions about how you have solved problems in the past, how have you negotiated things, how did you react when someone was unreasonable. The questions may seem general, but if you understand the job, you will know that these questions are necessary since you will be a contract manager over very important materials for large amounts of money.

The workplace is full of young and active people. The normal age is somewhere in the late 20s. So far it is a great company that will challenge you and give much in return. Highly recommended.

*Dress professionally for the interview or just don't apply*
*Study for the analytics exam*
*Be prepared to handle a lot of responsibility quickly*
*Be a good person to be around, or else I don't want them to hire you either :-) *

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to negotiate for something?   Answer Question
  • When was a time you spotted something that no one else did and what was the effect?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Be happy to be one of the team :-)

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in January 2009.

Interview Details – off site meeting and extensive technical inquiries