ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Went to our campus career fair and dropped off my resume. Got a call back scheduling an on campus interview. The interview was a pretty standard behavioral interview with an engineer from the company. Basically he read off the sheet about my experiences with teams/making tough decisions/etc. Pretty standard, but at the same time, that made it all the more difficult.

Got a call from them to schedule a second round about a month later. They flew me out to Louisiana for a couple days, the whole "wine and dine" experience. They do it really well! Had a host bring me around for the two days, really nice hotel suite, the works! Furthermore, the interview itself consisted of 5 back-to-back interviews, all with different employees along the food chain. Most questions were personal or about your resume. (With the second round, it's definitely more about getting a feel for who you are and if you'd be a good fit for the company). All in all, I received an offer via phone two weeks later and the offer letter the next day.

For that reason, your first interview is EASILY the most important... Exxon does a huge filtering at this stage and majority of the people who do the second round actually get offers.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think separates ExxonMobil from the other oil companies?   Answer Question
    Great offer, no negotiation

R&D Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2012.

Process began at Job Fair at my University. Was contacted for a 1:1 campus interview, which was easy behavioral style questions (Tell me a time when you...). The interviewer only asked two questions and it lasted for 45 mins, he was very respectable and easy to talk to.

A month later I was contacted for a phone screening, also was pretty easy. Consisted mostly of 'fit' questions and harder behavioral style questions. (Tell me what you want to do and how your experience relates to that...)

Shortly after that I was contacted for an on-site interview which was a full day (6 interviews) with people from the department and higher ups. Slightly intimidating, more exhausting than anything. Some interviews were easy, some were difficult, all of the interviewers were very knowledgeable and respectful. The night before consisted on a top-notch dinner with your host, and a stay in a very nice hotel. Your host is simply a mentor, typically younger with less experience. Easy to relate to, mine had gone through the same process I was and would answer any questions you had.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult project you completed, what you learned, and how that relates to what engineering means to you.   Answer Question
    They out-offer everyone by 25k. Did not negotiate.

Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2012.

2 rounds of interviews, first on campus, second in Houston office
    The on campus interview was very structured and behaviorally based. The interview was almost an hour long. It started off with pretty typical behavior questions like discussing leadership experiences and experiences working in teams. The questions got harder as the interview went on and the last few were pretty specific and challenging.
    The second round was a lot easier. Exxon flew me in to Houston and put me up in a very nice hotel. The night before the interview they take you out to a very nice restaurant for a three course meal. To start the interview day, I had to give a technical presentation about a team project I had worked on to an audience of six managers. The presentation was about an hour long including questions from the audience during and after the presentation. After the presentation, I interviewed with each of the six managers for about 45 minutes each. We mostly talked about my background and career plans and about the division of the company I was interviewing for, ExxonMobil Development Company. These interviews were more of conversations. A couple of the managers did ask one or two behavioral questions or questions about my resume. There was a lot less pressure during these interviews than the on campus interview. It was as much for me to see whether the company was a good fit for me as it was for Exxon to see if I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • On campus interview:
      Name a specific time when you were working on task on a project and you suddenly got switched to another task. How did you adjust and what were the results?

Answer Question
    No negotiation

Cost Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2012.

On Campus Interview
    Phone Interview
    On Site Interview (4 interview)

On campus interviews are relatively easy to get if you have solid resume. (high GPA, work experience etc.) It seems that all the interviews are processed into a large pool, which are accessible by managers of the site. Once the manager sees profile and like it, they will call you. All the interviews are very straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • On campus interview (expected behavioral questions)
      Phone interview and on-site (conversational laid back)

Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Corporate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2008.

The interview process was great from beginning to end. I was picked up at the airport in a black town car with tinted windows and taken to a nice hotel. There was a casual group dinner the evening before, and the food was delicious. Upon arriving for the interview, I was assigned an escort who took me from interview to interview. The interview process was difficult, however it was enjoyable and I was treated with respect throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • There were many questions around strategic thinking. Be prepared to provide multiple examples of your strategic thinking capabilities   Answer Question

Lubricants Marketing and Supply Chain Management (Procurement) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2012.

It was an on-campus interview. Information session was arranged before the interview dates, where students could learn more about the company and meet the interviewer. The interview was pretty detailed, behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most and least favorite class throughout the college career?   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moncton, NB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moncton, NB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2010.

Interview was oriented to find the skills that the perfect candidate would need , I didnt have the skill but I had the background so I was hired

Refinery Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in February 2012.

The interview is quite difficult. First they want to make sure you know how to explain previous experience clearly and concisely.Secondly they as many personality questions. And thirdly they make sure you are fit to their employees by asking you personal questions.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what is the most difficult project you had to finish at your previous job?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I submitted my resume to Exxon at a Career Fair, and shortly afterward was called for an interview in an office in the same building. After this initial interview, which was largely informal, I was set up to do a second interview at the facility of work. I drove up there for a day long interview schedule with 3 or 4 different people, ranging from HR to the plant manager. After that, they were arranging yet a third interview down in Houston when I declined and joined a different company.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you can back up what you wrote on your resume.   Answer Question

Different job

Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied online through college's career services website and was given an interview before the annual career fair.

The interview consisted mainly of behavioral questions, 'tell about a time you...' and lasted over an hour. The representative I met with was very professional and a little stuffy, but some of the others seemed to be joking around with their interviewees. Exxon went through many interviews. In the hour-long timeslot there were around 5 interviews being held simultaneously in different rooms, and spread that across 5 days of interviewing.

Most of the questions they asked had to deal with my previous work on projects, so I would recommend having something to talk about on that end. As I applied just entering my sophomore year, I really only had a simple freshman design project to talk about, so I think somebody who has had previous internship/project experience would do well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when didn't have the capital necessary to complete a project. How did you react and what did you do to work around it?   Answer Question