ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

Controller Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

It was a very bureaucratic process. I first applied online at Exxon's career website, the other day I received an e-mail, asking me if I'm interested in another position, I said yes. Following to that I've received an online test, Can't say it was too easy, mostly time consuming questions. Later I've got another e-mail asking my availability for the language and accounting phone test. I took the test on the following week. The lady was very polite asking me some basic accounting questions, kinda what is balance sheet, some examples to assets or liabilities, where would I put a debtor (in A/L?) At the and of the conversation she asked my availability to the final HQ interview in case I'd be selected, the thing is I was based in another country and they don't do the final interview online. So I asked for 10 days notice before the interview. They got back to me after 6-7 weeks, maybe more, I almost forget about them. So they invited me to the HQ. I was expecting them to covering my travel/visa expenses, but no, I paid for everything, since I really wanted the job I didn't care. I flew to Budapest, the office environment was looking really professional and safe. At first I got two interviewers (managers or seniors), the interview was totally behavioral and last for 1 hour. They were really nice and made me feel comfortable. They were noting my answers but not the examples I told them, they were noting how I took an action on the case. So after one hour I went to the lobby and waited for my second interview, had like a 10 min break, and then two other interviewers came to take me to the interview room. They were really nice as well, mostly similar behavioral questions, at the end I've been asked some technical questions about accounting, mostly about financial statements in general and the changes on the financial statements when the company make sales. Wasn't too hard. And some logical questions which have no correct answers, just want to see how you think. (how many gas station there are in Budapest-you need to make assumptions based on demographics, using population, public transport usage, car usage etc). So after the interview I told them I'll be in Hungary for until the weekend. I was expecting to hear the result till that time, however I didn't. So once I came back to my country I received an offer, no negotiation on salary. I accepted, the following process was very complicated. As I wasn't based in Hungary, they were asking for documents I can't provide like address card, tax number etc, and I had to go to the HQ again for the drug&health test, and to provide some Hungarian documents like criminal certificate. Exxon also has partnership with company providing services to Expatriates like me. I should say, comparing to other expat companies it wasn't so professional and they've caused me a lot of troubles. Anyway after a long time I get together all my documents and applied for the residence permit at the Hungarian embassy in my home country. Had no problem with the documents.

Interview Questions

• Accounting phone questions: -What is balance sheet, income statement related questions -Where would you put the debtors, assets or liabilities HQ interview: 1st round: behavioral questions, what did you take action in a event ... kinda questions. Where you didn't agree with a team member, where you flex the company rules to achieve a goal(and another way around).... 2nd round: behavioral questions similar to same round and some technical questions such as describe me the changes when exxon sells gas.   1 Answer

Network Infrastrue Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

On campus recruiting. We filled out paperwork both on our campus webpage as well as the exxonmobil web page. We were selected for on campus interview. Made it through round one interviews, and continued onto round two. After that, 3 people were selected out of my entire university for an internship. The year I applied there were 58,809 students.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

CV submission difficult numerical test - SHL Phone interview face-to-face competency-based interview - this is were it all comes down to, all they look for is a confident leader, radiate calmness and confidence

Interview Questions

• What are you most proud of?   1 Answer

GREF Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Standard competency interview but strongly directed towards work experience rather than academic or extra curricular experiences. Frustrating to be told that they didn't want to hear any more of one aspect of my experience which I felt was more relevant to the question asked. I guess looking for a very specific type of candidate

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with being told what to do by authority figures?   Answer Question

Global Real Estate and Facilities (GREF) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Spring, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Several recruiters came to my colleges career fair. I got an in campus interview and got an email 13 days later saying I made it through to the next round and somebody would reach out to me. 19 days later somebody reached out to me scheduling a phone interview. This took place the same day and was really like a phone screening to make sure I didn't get this far by accident. I was told on the phone I made it through to a business line interview and somebody would reach out to me. 3 days later my big phone interview was scheduled. The phone interview was laid back but fairly difficult and lasted an hour. 6 days later I was called down to Houston and was flown down a week from then. They take VERY good care of their candidates, and I don't want to spoil the surprise. The interview in Houston was long and intense, I won't lie, but all of the questions were valid. Everybody was very kind, especially Karen. I got a call 45 minutes after I left the interview telling me I got the job and to expect an email shortly. The compensation is very fair.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No need to negotiate.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

On site interview at college. Consisted of one - on - one interview with recruiter. Standard interview questions focusing for a short time on resume. The interview then focused on school courses and began with the standard set of interview questions. There was a portion of the interview where the recruiter described some of the typical work and offered time to answer any specific questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used engineering skills to solve a difficult technical problem.   Answer Question

Various Positions With Hebron/Hibernia Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in St. John's, NL (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (St. John's, NL (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

Behavioral based questions were asked. wanted to see how your leadership was. previous work experience and experiences through life a must. not easy to get an interview but great people. The interview experience itself was good and I enjoyed working for the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Singapore (Singapore)) in October 2012.

Interview

There is only 1 interview and it tends to be a panel of about 3 people from different department that are likely to accept you as their intern.

Interview Questions

• What are the challenges you face in your part time jobs and how do you go about overcoming those challenges.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil (Dallas, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

I interviewed through college or university. Submitted resume on my college's career website and then got an email from the recruiter. I then scheduled the interview time. The interview took 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• What was your most challenge while working in a group project?   Answer Question

Controller Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

There was one small interview at the agency and they started the application process for me. Then they invited me for the final interview at the company. It was around 2 hours long, with two different teams. It was completely in English, mostly behavioral-based questions and some easy accounting questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation where you had to work with people who were really hard on you and how did you solve this?   Answer Question