ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

Research Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Got my interview through campus recruiting event. It was a very standard interview process. The interviewer just asked questions based on my resume. I talked through the research that I have been engaged in. After that, a couple of behavioral questions, like "what is your proudest achievement?". In the end, I had some time to ask the interviewer some questions about ExxonMobil.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I requested an interview through my school's career fair and interviewed maybe a week later. It was very straightforward, much like a conversation. My interviewer went through my resume and asked me about various things, asking typical behavioral questions along the way (biggest challenges I faced while doing X, conflict resolution examples, etc.). It was very relaxed and pleasant.

I received an email about a week later saying that I had made it through the first round of interviews. Then I got a call from a site about a week later in which I was mostly asked what kind of work I'm interested in doing as an intern and why I'm interested in working at ExxonMobil. I received an internship offer at this site about a week after that.

Interview Questions
    • What leadership skills have you learned/acquired through extracurricular activities that would be relevant to working at ExxonMobil?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate since the offer was well above what I indicated during the application process.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

On campus interview, standard hour long STAR grilling. Phone interview, then onsite interview at refinery. Night before is informal dinner with engineers who recently started. Next day is for real. At least 4 45 min interviews, 3 technical, one with department head. They thoroughly vet your technical skills, project leadership experience, and overall personality type. More STAR questions thrown in. It seems to me that they are looking for type A, power driven people. Know first of all that it's a manufacturing business, then a business environment, with a little engineering thrown in.
    Honestly, I didn't meet one stereotypical nerd/geek the whole day. Engineers there don't stay engineers for long. Most move on to leadership roles or business roles.

A good tip would be to have your projected career on your mind. Decide if you want technical track, management track, or business track. Stick to that the whole day. The interviewers meet at the end of the day before you go into the boss man final interview and hash you out. Above all, know yourself. If you aren't the kind of person who will fit into an environment of constant competition for your whole career, they will find out, and fast. Employees are constantly ranked versus each other on a tiered scale, with the bottom half of the tier needing remediation. It's not for the faint of heart or those who "just want to be an engineer".

All that being said, the people were pretty great. Top notch guys from MIT and all the big schools. They really get the best of the best. If that's you, and you can also deal with living in the relative crapholes these places are located in, the money is insane for someone right out of school, and the benefits sounded pretty good.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were leading a team on a project with multiple solutions. How did you come up with a strategy and create buy-in in your group?   Answer Question

Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I was first invited to dinner on campus. I had another outstanding offer and they were very accommodating. Quickly did first round phone interview and then they sent me to Houston the next week for 2 more interviews. Interview Process was very structured and thorough. All interviews were very relaxed and conversational.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when your problem-solving technique was not working and how you changed it.
      Talk about a time when you had to use data analysis to solve a problem.
      Know your resume (as always) and have stories for everything.

Answer Question
    Negotiating as an intern is probably not your best bet.

Industrial Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied via the EMEC event. Application was just a CV and then online numerical test before actual EMEC event. Competency based telephone and then face to face interview. Friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • A tinge you have worked as part of a team   View Answer

Instrumentation and Controls Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Applied through careers site for a new grad position. Interview took place on campus and involved two employees who would I would not be working with if I gained the position. This was only the first round of the interviewing process and I was told the second round would take place with someone I would work with and would have more technical information. Questions were all behavioral based.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you had to sacrifice quality to complete a task.   Answer Question

IT College Hire Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied through university after Exxon gave an information session at my school. I was then invited to interview on campus. This initial interview lasted about 45 minutes and consisted entirely of behavioral questions. The normal "tell me about a time when..." STAR type questions. The interviewer had a packet of questions they would read from and then record my responses, with minimal eye contact or other acknowledgement of my answers. You should come prepared with five or more situations that you can discuss for different topics like showing leadership, overcoming sudden challenges, dealing with uncooperative group members, etc. Don't memorize your stories but know what things to hit on for each one.

Within a week of my initial interview I was invited to come to the Houston office for the second round. I was flown there and treated to a dinner the night before the interview. This dinner gives you a chance to meet other candidates and new college hires. The next day we were taken to the campus, where a continental breakfast was provided and we ate alongside the interviewers as well as other ExxonMobil employees. Don't be afraid to speak up here and ask the employees questions or even try to engage in small talk.

After breakfast the interviews began. It was three interviews, back to back, 50 minutes each. Each interview was one-on-one with a different interviewer, but they were all behavioral and consisted of similar questions from the first round. Same type of STAR questions, read from a packet, with your answers being jotted down. It seemed that each interviewer was also able to ask one question of their own. After that there was a lunch and a presentation. It was a very long day, and you should be in "interview mode" for the entire time. Rest easy though, knowing that if you made it to the second round of interviews then you have a VERY good chance of getting an offer. Just be yourself and show them that you're someone they would want to work with.

I received my offer within a week from the second round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when things changed in the middle of a project and you had to start all over.   Answer Question
    I didn't even bother trying to negotiate because the offer was higher than I would have asked for.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Contact them in a career fair on campus in Sep 23, be told to attend the interview next week. The interview is all about behavior question. And also the recruiter wish to know how you will deal with challenge problem and how you cooperate with different people. The interview lasts about 1 hour. I was told that there may be a call for an onsite visit if I pass this round. Last week, I get an email that I have entered the reference system but no further information right now

Project Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

The basic process of a phone interview then a whole day of on-site interviewing with management and peers. the on-sire interview will also include a plant tour. make sure to make it a point that you understand the equipment present in the plant.

Interview Questions
    • None. Be sure to ask numerous questions at the on-site interview this is your time to figure out if you want to work for this company if you are an experienced hire. IF there is any hint of incompetency on any of the hiring managers part then most probably your gut is correct.   Answer Question
    Non- negotiable

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The interview was purely behavorial. There were no technical questions. The interview surprising did not ask "Why Exxon Mobil?" or "Why would you be a good fit in the company?". The toughest question was "What other strengths have you not talked about?"