ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

Research Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Interview set up through a campus recruiter.

It was about 1 hour long mostly behavioral questions. Mostly about team work and leadership. Interviewer was very nice. I was told I will be hearing a from them in one or two weeks, so I am waiting.

Research Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Got my interview through campus recruiting event. It was a very standard interview process. The interviewer just asked questions based on my resume. I talked through the research that I have been engaged in. After that, a couple of behavioral questions, like "what is your proudest achievement?". In the end, I had some time to ask the interviewer some questions about ExxonMobil.

IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

3 phone interviews with a consultant company. ExxonMobil typically does not hire direct IT support techs. Made it to face to face interview with Team Lead and via conference call the IT Manager on a Friday. Nothing difficult from a technical standpoint. Was offered the job on Monday.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Any interview is dependent on the interviewer and how well they can size up a candidate with a mix of standard HR questions and job related functions of the job.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was with the Consultant company and pay rate and benefits were all predetermined. ExxonMobil pays the contract for talent and its up to you to get the most pay from consultant companys profits on the contract.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Spoke with a lady at the career fair who got me an interview that same week on campus. I was asked mostly behavioral questions. Was told the next step would be a phone interview. Never heard back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you experienced a technical problem and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

ExxonMobil Engineer Interview

I applied online and received an email from the recruiting captain at my school. I also applied on my school's career website. I interviewed in a small cubicle with an engineer. The interviewer mainly looked at my resume, chose a piece of resume, then asked for an example of me doing something during that activity. They'll ask you why their company, and my suggestion is to copy down phrases from the website, from alumni you talk to, and from the company website to use later when asked about the company. I've found it more comfortable to include the things an alumni told me when I answer this.

Watch your body posture even when your mind is preoccupied with the question at hand. If you are moving too stiffly or abruptly you will come off as tense. If you rarely wear your dress clothes, wear them before the interview at least once for a few hours so you don't feel to stiff or confined in them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you motivated your team.

Tell me about how you problem solved in this experience on your resume.

Why ExxonMobil?

Why did you choose your major?
        View Answer

Geoscience Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied for an interview through school website and scheduled the interview within the week. The structure of the interview was just like I had seen on other reviews: I was asked about basically everything on my resume, down to the finest details. I was then asked about my plans for the future including long-term career goals. The interviewer then moved on the run-of-the mill interview questions ("tell me about a time when...."). The interviewer seemed to be going off of a list of questions until their timer went off signaling the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or technical - just think about times when you had to work with a team, in a diverse environment, and had to come up with a novel idea.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied through campus recruiting. The online application was basically just uploading a resume and transcripts, and then filling in a few boxes with info from those documents. The interview was really laid back. The interviewer pretty much went through my resume and clarified a few things, and asked me some conversation-starter type questions. They did most of the talking.

Interview Questions
    • It looks from your resume as though you've set yourself up for a career in academia [as opposed to industry].   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online through school recruiting and then got the first round but never got heard back, It's the first interview I ever had but it's really good experience compared other companies later on.

Interview Questions
    • If you started doing a task but couldn't find more resources in the middle part, what would you do   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Initially applied through a recruiting agency. The woman at the agency did a phone interview that lasted 20 minutes. She was very friendly and helpful in advising what to expect at my interview. I was told to prepare for a 3 hour interview that would be in 2 weeks. When I arrived at the plant, they did not have my name on the list to enter, so I had to call and wait about 30 minutes for the interviewer to arrange for my entrance into the plant. Once I was in, the lady who was suppose to interview me handed me off to the head chemist and said he would interview me instead.

Once in his office, I had about a 30 minute interview, where the chemist told me he had never interviewed anyone before, and made up a bunch of questions to ask me. He did not write my answers down nor have any prepared questions. He then let me know that they were looking for someone with less experience out of fear that I would get bored and leave, and he told me all of the reasons I wouldn't want the job. As he led me out, he said I would not have to meet with anybody else and he would make a decision by the end of the week.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had a problem and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Career Development office asked for resumes from people interested in Exxon who had 3.5 or higher GPA, prior internship experience and leadership experience, and would be willing to relocate. Alumni who were exxon employees selected candidates to interview. Interview lasted about 45-60 minutes and included the typical behavioral questions and questions like "why Exxon?" From there they selected those to refer to any managers with positions to fill. About a week or so later I was contacted via email by my manager and set up a 20 minute phone interview the next day that ended in an offer.

No negotiation