ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Applied online via my school's career center. The interviewer who was a mid-level engineer informed me at the beginning of the interview that all of the internship positions had already been filled and that my "internship" interview was really just a preface for full time next year. It would have been nice to have been told that beforehand. Exxon really just wants to hire average engineers who aren't too ambitious and are willing to stay with the company their whole life- the interviewer reiterated this point over and over.

Interview Questions
    • What's a good decision and a bad decision you made recently?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

The interview was purely behavorial. There were no technical questions. The interview surprising did not ask "Why Exxon Mobil?" or "Why would you be a good fit in the company?". The toughest question was "What other strengths have you not talked about?"

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Talked to them at engineering career fair and also submitted resume through career center. Got interview notification in the second week after the career fair. The interview was on the third week, and consisted of four behavioral questions, about team leadership and time/task management. The questions were not difficult but I didn't do well. I also asked the interviewer a few questions. The total time length was 50min. The rejection email came in two weeks after the interview.

Research Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Applied through career fair on campus. Got an on-campus interview about three weeks later. The interviewer asked me to talk about my research, emphasizing on the novelty of my projects. He also asked me some basic behavioral questions. For example: What did you do when you encounter problems in your research? What are your strengths? What are your greatest accomplishments?

Interview Questions
    • Describe how did you contribute to your research group   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Interview set up through a campus recruiter.

It was about 1 hour long mostly behavioral questions. Mostly about team work and leadership. Interviewer was very nice. I was told I will be hearing a from them in one or two weeks, so I am waiting.

Research Interview

Got my interview through campus recruiting event. It was a very standard interview process. The interviewer just asked questions based on my resume. I talked through the research that I have been engaged in. After that, a couple of behavioral questions, like "what is your proudest achievement?". In the end, I had some time to ask the interviewer some questions about ExxonMobil.

IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

3 phone interviews with a consultant company. ExxonMobil typically does not hire direct IT support techs. Made it to face to face interview with Team Lead and via conference call the IT Manager on a Friday. Nothing difficult from a technical standpoint. Was offered the job on Monday.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Any interview is dependent on the interviewer and how well they can size up a candidate with a mix of standard HR questions and job related functions of the job.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was with the Consultant company and pay rate and benefits were all predetermined. ExxonMobil pays the contract for talent and its up to you to get the most pay from consultant companys profits on the contract.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Spoke with a lady at the career fair who got me an interview that same week on campus. I was asked mostly behavioral questions. Was told the next step would be a phone interview. Never heard back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you experienced a technical problem and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

ExxonMobil Engineer Interview

I applied online and received an email from the recruiting captain at my school. I also applied on my school's career website. I interviewed in a small cubicle with an engineer. The interviewer mainly looked at my resume, chose a piece of resume, then asked for an example of me doing something during that activity. They'll ask you why their company, and my suggestion is to copy down phrases from the website, from alumni you talk to, and from the company website to use later when asked about the company. I've found it more comfortable to include the things an alumni told me when I answer this.

Watch your body posture even when your mind is preoccupied with the question at hand. If you are moving too stiffly or abruptly you will come off as tense. If you rarely wear your dress clothes, wear them before the interview at least once for a few hours so you don't feel to stiff or confined in them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you motivated your team.

Tell me about how you problem solved in this experience on your resume.

Why ExxonMobil?

Why did you choose your major?

View Answer

Geoscience Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied for an interview through school website and scheduled the interview within the week. The structure of the interview was just like I had seen on other reviews: I was asked about basically everything on my resume, down to the finest details. I was then asked about my plans for the future including long-term career goals. The interviewer then moved on the run-of-the mill interview questions ("tell me about a time when...."). The interviewer seemed to be going off of a list of questions until their timer went off signaling the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or technical - just think about times when you had to work with a team, in a diverse environment, and had to come up with a novel idea.   Answer Question