ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied online through college's career services website and was given an interview before the annual career fair.

The interview consisted mainly of behavioral questions, 'tell about a time you...' and lasted over an hour. The representative I met with was very professional and a little stuffy, but some of the others seemed to be joking around with their interviewees. Exxon went through many interviews. In the hour-long timeslot there were around 5 interviews being held simultaneously in different rooms, and spread that across 5 days of interviewing.

Most of the questions they asked had to deal with my previous work on projects, so I would recommend having something to talk about on that end. As I applied just entering my sophomore year, I really only had a simple freshman design project to talk about, so I think somebody who has had previous internship/project experience would do well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when didn't have the capital necessary to complete a project. How did you react and what did you do to work around it?   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in July 2009.

Technical question and soft skill questions; know your resume well and be able to explain things at a higher level

no negotiation

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2012.

They were great to work with throughout the whole process. Initially talked at my schools career fair, then had a 1:1 interview the next day. Was given a phone interview from the specific location I was interested in a couple of days later. Flown down for the final site interview the following week and given the offer on the spot during the 3rd and final interview of that day. Note - process was expedited as I had other offers that I was considering.

Interview Questions
    • I had previously worked on a very small project in an SRU unit, but had limited exposure to the actual SRU process. I was asked to draw the entire unit on a marker board and explain how it worked.   View Answer
    I was blown away by how high the offer was and didn't feel I needed to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in February 2013.

I first met with a campus recruiter at the engineering job fair on campus. I went through my resume and talked about my research experience that I did the summer after my Freshman year. I got an on campus interview where I was asked the normal STAR questions about working with others and past experiences. Then, the interviewer asked about my interests and where I see my career going. I told her what I was interested in and she said I would fit well in the **** department and that she would pass my information along to them to see if they could find a spot for me. A few months later, I was contacted by the recruiter for the department who told me I would be flown to headquarters for a second interview with said department. The second interview consisted of three interviews with three different people, including a very senior level executive.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked questions specific to what I was interviewing for, even though it was outside of my topic of study at school.   Answer Question
    The salary is so competitive, I would not advise negotiating for intern positions.

NONE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in July 2010.

1 Interview in 2010 for Baytown, TX site. Questions had a lot to do with Tell me about a time when......I recommend making a list of your own questions and practice answering fast, because you will me sweating bullets so know what comes out of your mouth before it does.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you did something unsafe.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

The hiring process started with attending a college Career Fair and speaking with a representative about my resume. Then, I filled out an application online and received an invitation to an interview. After accepting the interview, I was invited to a company information session.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when halfway through a project, the resources you had were no longer available.   Answer Question

Human Resources Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Campus Interview with behavioral based interview. Interviewers difficult to read; asked many questions and many follow up questions.

Interview Questions
    • They had a large notebook full of questions, so it is difficult to remember what they ask. I had six behavorial based stories, and I went through all of them AND had to give an unrehearsed one on the spot. Be prepared; ultimately, it comes down to fit.   Answer Question
    No Negation.

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2012.

telephone interview with the HR, face to face interview with a manager

Interview Questions
    • to rate myself on different areas mentioning examples from real life   View Answer
    there was no choice for an intern :)

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

online application with CV. Then, face to face interview in their office. Competency based questions, such as my achievement, give example, elaborate it and specifically tell them how I deal with certain situation.They asked according to my resume so be familiar with what you have written.

Interview Questions
    • something like IQ question I guess, "how to do you fill a shopping mall with tennis balls? stated your assumptions"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2013.

applied through school's career website and online, process took 2 weeks, and another 2 weeks to hear back from them

Interview Questions
    • what is the most difficult thing you've ever accomplished so far?   Answer Question