ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

Applications Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial phone interview followed by onside visit in a couple weeks ... Interview focused my previous experience and my technical skills ... Very few behavior based questions ... Had five individual interviews ... Most of the questions were easy ... Got the impression they were more interested if I was fit for the group as opposed to my capabilities .

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied online through school. Got an on campus interview.

Interview Questions

• Just asked about basic heat and mass transfer and thermodynamics.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Behavioral interview with one round of questions

Intern Interview

Interview

Very kind people there at Exxon Mobil. Interviewing process from my university was greatly appreciated as an opportunity to get into the field of oil and gas. I first interviewed in a general interview and then I had a second interview in which a facility called me and gave me another interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

The interviewer did not ask very technical questions. They were more like: "when was a time you had a challenge and how did you face it?", "describe a time you had to teach someone something", "describe a time you had to communicate with authority so they would accept your proposal/idea." ,etc.

Interview Questions

• He really wanted to know what position I wanted (upstream or downstream) and why. Make sure you know the answer to this question beforehand (do some research).   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

On campus interview. The interviewer was really nice and patient. We talked a lot about the coursework and the research experience I had within the past few years. I have really a lot of diverse and interesting research opportunities. After the interview, I haven't heard from them for the next round.

Interview Questions

• I would say it is pretty technical. The interviewer knows a lot about what he is dealing with, and I tried to sell my research ideas as much as possible.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

One interview with 2 managers

Intern Interview

Interview

I interviewed with Exxon on campus. The recruiters collected resumes at the career fair and then chose a number of candidates for a campus interview. The interview questions were mostly behavioral like tell me about a time when you took the initiative to solve a problem. Another question was tell us about a time that you had a problem with a group member and what did you do.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you run out of resources and what did you do.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I applied for an on-campus interview through the campus career services site during the annual recruitment and interview period. Met recruiter in person during scheduled interview days in student union. Duration was about one half hour, fairly typical one on one interview setup except for the approach the recruiter took.

Interview Questions

• The recruiter essentially just looked at my resume and picked things to ask me about; but focused on more minor extracurricular activities rather than on the relevant experience that I had. Differed from the typical behavioral interview in that I wasn't able to pick the best examples from all my experiences to answer questions, but was forced to discuss the topics that the recruiter chose.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Mostly behavior questions on campus, then technical questions on phone later.

See What ExxonMobil Employees Are Saying

Former Engineering Manager in Houston, TX

Pros: “If you are prepared to work hard, learn all you can, take the job seriously and contribute a lot to the success of your department, your project, your team, then you will be offered a lot...”“If you are prepared to work hard, learn all you can, take the job seriously and contribute a lot to the success of your department, your project, your team, then you will be offered a lot of different opportunities and be paid well. You will have a great career. If you just show up every day, occupy space, go through the motions, and deliver so-so results that are uninspiring, you will be assigned to less critical, less exciting projects, not be moved around very often, and just get paid average money. You will have a career, but maybe not as rewarding as some of the others around you (that put in more effort). So at the end of the day, it all really depends upon you and how hard you are willing to work. People who take the job seriously and understand that they have to demonstrate their willingness "go the extra mile" at times will be well rewarded and satisfied with their time at ExxonMobil. Everything they do is aimed at encouraging you to have a long-term career with them. It is up to you if you do or not.” – Full Review