ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

Geoscience Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Applied for an interview through school website and scheduled the interview within the week. The structure of the interview was just like I had seen on other reviews: I was asked about basically everything on my resume, down to the finest details. I was then asked about my plans for the future including long-term career goals. The interviewer then moved on the run-of-the mill interview questions ("tell me about a time when...."). The interviewer seemed to be going off of a list of questions until their timer went off signaling the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or technical - just think about times when you had to work with a team, in a diverse environment, and had to come up with a novel idea.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied through campus recruiting. The online application was basically just uploading a resume and transcripts, and then filling in a few boxes with info from those documents. The interview was really laid back. The interviewer pretty much went through my resume and clarified a few things, and asked me some conversation-starter type questions. They did most of the talking.

Interview Questions
    • It looks from your resume as though you've set yourself up for a career in academia [as opposed to industry].   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online through school recruiting and then got the first round but never got heard back, It's the first interview I ever had but it's really good experience compared other companies later on.

Interview Questions
    • If you started doing a task but couldn't find more resources in the middle part, what would you do   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Initially applied through a recruiting agency. The woman at the agency did a phone interview that lasted 20 minutes. She was very friendly and helpful in advising what to expect at my interview. I was told to prepare for a 3 hour interview that would be in 2 weeks. When I arrived at the plant, they did not have my name on the list to enter, so I had to call and wait about 30 minutes for the interviewer to arrange for my entrance into the plant. Once I was in, the lady who was suppose to interview me handed me off to the head chemist and said he would interview me instead.

Once in his office, I had about a 30 minute interview, where the chemist told me he had never interviewed anyone before, and made up a bunch of questions to ask me. He did not write my answers down nor have any prepared questions. He then let me know that they were looking for someone with less experience out of fear that I would get bored and leave, and he told me all of the reasons I wouldn't want the job. As he led me out, he said I would not have to meet with anybody else and he would make a decision by the end of the week.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had a problem and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Career Development office asked for resumes from people interested in Exxon who had 3.5 or higher GPA, prior internship experience and leadership experience, and would be willing to relocate. Alumni who were exxon employees selected candidates to interview. Interview lasted about 45-60 minutes and included the typical behavioral questions and questions like "why Exxon?" From there they selected those to refer to any managers with positions to fill. About a week or so later I was contacted via email by my manager and set up a 20 minute phone interview the next day that ended in an offer.

No negotiation

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I spoke with a recruiter on campus and submitted a resume during our campus' career fair. I was contacted a week or so later for an on-campus interview. The interview was entirely behavioral, "tell me about a time when you dealt with x, y, or z." The interview was pretty relaxed and the interviewer did a good job of making it seem rather informal. Be sure to prepare specific examples of projects or teams you have worked on.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked specifically whether I had experience in data analysis and making recommendations for process changes based on that analysis.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I applied online before the recruiter came to my school. Late afternoon (dinner time) on the day before the interview, the recruiter gave us a presentation about the company as well as the recruiting process. My interview with ExxonMobil was on the day after the info session. The recruiter was pretty nice. We basically walked through my resume. She asked questions based on the resume or some clarifications of my resume. I felt relaxed during the whole interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Their was no difficult questions once you know your resume well (of course).   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

The interviewing process was very enjoyable and beneficial. All students invited an info session the night before interviews began that was a mixer of sorts. We were first served dinner while we had a chance to talk to the recruiters, and then were presented with a power point on Exxon's background and the different divisions within the company. I ended up being interviewed by Jessica, who was one of the recruiters I had spoken to during the "mixer". It made me feel more comfortable because she was a familiar face. The interview itself was about an hour long, and all of the questions were behavioral based. Two and half weeks later I was contacted for a phone interview with one of the regional managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were forced to solve a problem under unfamiliar circumstances.   View Answer

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I came on to Exxon straight out of college. The interview process for college grads comes in three steps. The first is the initial screening of the resume. You can have to apply online, but going to the career fairs and knowing someone in the company that's hiring at the time helps so much.The initial interview is purely to see if you would be a good fit in Exxon or not. If you pass this round you get placed in an Exxon hiring database and individual Exxon departments (they call them "companies") can select you for their interview process, which usually consists of flying you out to one of their locations for an in-person interview (I had three interviewers, all behavioral questions). Overall, the process was extremely satisfying. Exxon has a lot of money to throw around, and they really treat you well during the whole interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Again, none of the questions I was given were technical; they were all behavioral. The most unexpected question that I had was "How do you persuade someone to do what you want or agree with your idea". I found the question difficult mostly because it is really easy to come off as manipulative and not a team player when answering this.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I went to see them at the career fair and the recruiters were friendly and easy to talk to. I got a call for an interview the next day and they even hosted a "how to interview" session for everyone who got an interview. The interview itself was easy. It was an hour long. However, a good chunk of it was the recruiter talking about Exxon. The questions they asked were pretty basic behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • There' wasn't one. All pretty straightforward. The last question they asked me was, "Is there anything else you'd like to say that we don't know about that we should?"   Answer Question