ExxonMobil Research Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in July 2009.

Interview

Technical question and soft skill questions; know your resume well and be able to explain things at a higher level

Negotiation

no negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Interview

Interview set up through a campus recruiter. It was about 1 hour long mostly behavioral questions. Mostly about team work and leadership. Interviewer was very nice. I was told I will be hearing a from them in one or two weeks, so I am waiting.

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in March 2009.

Interview

Very friendly process. Every interviewer made me feel very comfortable. Appeared more like a discussion than an interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didnt negotiate!

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2011.

Interview

I am a phd student and I got this interview by applying to the university career center. Was offered an on-campus interview. The interviewer was a chemical engineering phd who now is in charge of a lab at XOM's research center in New Jersey. The interview came straight to the point from the start: random resume questions(10-15min), behavioral questions (15-20min), and a Q&A period(5-10min). The interview questions are reasonable. No odd balls. But this was my first job interview and my lack of experience made me a little ill-prepared(I prepared a lot on the "tell me about yourself" and "why XOM" kind of thing but downplayed the behavioral questions. Turns out the former were never touched upon). Also I'm an international student so my English is not seasoned enough to handle emergency situations smoothly. I could have responded much better. One thing I don't like about the way they organized the interview is that you are not interviewed for a specific position. They just wanted to take a look on the candidates and then go back and see whether some of their departments want people with experiences like yours. I guess it's more efficient for a big company like XOM to do it this way. However, I find it annoying because I don't know what skill sets I need to highlight if I don't know what functions I am expected to contribute( guess I could have asked, but they seems to not care at this point). It's also hard to build a bond between you and the interviewer because the interviewer may work on a complete different research area and have little idea/interest about the significance of your skills( and vice versa). I haven't heard back from them yet and I'd be surprised if I got passed to the second round. The interviewer did mention that the next interview round will be conducted by people from specific departments that matches my background.

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

First applied through campus career fair. They would like to hire students with high GPA and at the same time with social activities and leadership skills. On the career fair day, there was a small conversation between me and one of the hiring group. He invited me to a 1:1 interview next day. The interview was behavioral type. The interviewer makes you feel very comfortable. 3-4 days later I got an email saying that my CV was recommended to the main system. 2 weeks later, I got the phone interview and invited to an on-site interview. The whole interview process was very well organized and pleasant!!! On site interview consisted of many 1:1 interviews and an hour long presentation (for a PhD candidate).

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation that you run out of resources? What did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

A good balance of technical and behavioral questions. Asked about research, challenge, group work. Nothing unexpected. I was nervous before the interview. But the interviewer was nice. After my self introduction, I completely left the nervousness behind. It was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• How did you convince your team members to follow your idea?   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through campus career fair. The interview consists of two parts. The first part is to talk about my research. The second part is behavioral questions. The behavioral questions include: talk about your leadership, teamwork, what's the most creative part of your research, how you deal with argument with others, etc.

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I applied through university and got an on-campus interview. The interview took about 1 hour. Most of questions were behavior questions like how you deal with difficult persons in your group. The interviewer was very nice and informative. She told me if I got accepted to the next round it will be an full day onside interview. And it may take few weeks before I heard back from them. So I am still waiting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Saint Louis, MO) in October 2013.

Interview

I submitted my application on the University's carrer link and then got a campus interview, lasting about 30-40 mins. Based on the resume, asking some behavioral questions, such as the most challenge task, how to work as a team player. The interviewer is nice, but I got no offer after one week.

Interview Questions

• behavioral questions, such as the most challenge task, how to work as a team player.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Clinton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Clinton, NJ) in November 2013.

Interview

Interviews included a 60 min 1:1 campus interview, a 60 min phone interview, and a full day on-site interview. The on-site interview started with an HR interview followed by my 60 minute seminar. I then had 6 45 min 1:1 interviews and a site tour. The campus interviewer seemed distracted and rushed, but my other experiences were positive. Questions were both technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain part of my work that was not the main focus, to determine how fully I understand the overall process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did no negotiating based on comments I saw here and by comparing my offer to a friend's offer who already works there.