ExxonMobil

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Research Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview Details – Excellent process

Research Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview Details – The process was through campus interview. The interview was pleasant - very little technical questions and mainly about PhD dissertation

Interview Question – Why Exxon   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Research Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ExxonMobil in February 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted resume to campus career center. Given a chance to interview 1:1 with ExxonMobil general recruitment. Phone interview a few months later with specific division recruitment. Site interview offered. Site interview consisted of several 1:1 interviews with different levels of management/senior technical. One hour presentation w/ Q/A. After offer was accepted, drug test and background check.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. They pay well enough.

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through campus career center and ExxonMobil website, talked to the recruiters during info session and career fair. They were all very nice and kind. Got notified two weeks before the interview (first round, on campus). I am looking for full-time opportunities, so I know the on campus interview will probably all be behavioral. Took some time to prepare for typical questions. And went over the resume for every detail.

Got notified for second round interview (site visit) after a week of the campus one, the date hasn't been set yet, will probably be early Nov. Will update status later.

Interview Questions

Baytown, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2011.

Interview Details – First applied through campus career fair. They would like to hire students with high GPA and at the same time with social activities and leadership skills. On the career fair day, there was a small conversation between me and one of the hiring group. He invited me to a 1:1 interview next day. The interview was behavioral type. The interviewer makes you feel very comfortable. 3-4 days later I got an email saying that my CV was recommended to the main system. 2 weeks later, I got the phone interview and invited to an on-site interview. The whole interview process was very well organized and pleasant!!! On site interview consisted of many 1:1 interviews and an hour long presentation (for a PhD candidate).

Interview Question – Describe a situation that you run out of resources? What did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Research Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in March 2009.

Interview Details – Very friendly process. Every interviewer made me feel very comfortable. Appeared more like a discussion than an interview.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didnt negotiate!

Research Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2011.

Interview Details – I am a phd student and I got this interview by applying to the university career center. Was offered an on-campus interview. The interviewer was a chemical engineering phd who now is in charge of a lab at XOM's research center in New Jersey. The interview came straight to the point from the start: random resume questions(10-15min), behavioral questions (15-20min), and a Q&A period(5-10min).

The interview questions are reasonable. No odd balls. But this was my first job interview and my lack of experience made me a little ill-prepared(I prepared a lot on the "tell me about yourself" and "why XOM" kind of thing but downplayed the behavioral questions. Turns out the former were never touched upon). Also I'm an international student so my English is not seasoned enough to handle emergency situations smoothly. I could have responded much better.

One thing I don't like about the way they organized the interview is that you are not interviewed for a specific position. They just wanted to take a look on the candidates and then go back and see whether some of their departments want people with experiences like yours. I guess it's more efficient for a big company like XOM to do it this way. However, I find it annoying because I don't know what skill sets I need to highlight if I don't know what functions I am expected to contribute( guess I could have asked, but they seems to not care at this point). It's also hard to build a bond between you and the interviewer because the interviewer may work on a complete different research area and have little idea/interest about the significance of your skills( and vice versa).

I haven't heard back from them yet and I'd be surprised if I got passed to the second round. The interviewer did mention that the next interview round will be conducted by people from specific departments that matches my background.

Interview Question – Tell us about your biggest achievements.   Answer Question

Clinton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2013.

Interview Details – Interviews included a 60 min 1:1 campus interview, a 60 min phone interview, and a full day on-site interview. The on-site interview started with an HR interview followed by my 60 minute seminar. I then had 6 45 min 1:1 interviews and a site tour. The campus interviewer seemed distracted and rushed, but my other experiences were positive. Questions were both technical and behavioral.

Interview Question – I was asked to explain part of my work that was not the main focus, to determine how fully I understand the overall process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did no negotiating based on comments I saw here and by comparing my offer to a friend's offer who already works there.

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my application on the University's carrer link and then got a campus interview, lasting about 30-40 mins. Based on the resume, asking some behavioral questions, such as the most challenge task, how to work as a team player. The interviewer is nice, but I got no offer after one week.

Interview Question – behavioral questions, such as the most challenge task, how to work as a team player.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2013.

Interview Details – Campus interview. Submitted a resume. Called for HR interview. Interview went off fine, and I was told I'd hear back if they have an opening for someone with my skill set.

Interview Question – Standard HR questions - nothing that cannot be answered using a STAR approach. For example, did you work on this project alone or was this a team effort? What are the names of those who contributed to this project before you?   Answer Question

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!