F5 Networks Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The position was for a Developer role, Got a mail requesting for a phone interview, scheduled it a week later. The questions were related to Socket programming, Operating Systems, algorithms and data structures.

Interview Questions

• How would you make a server connect to multiple clients?   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Recruiter called to setup a phone call with the hiring manager. Several days of silence then sudddenly a date is fixed and the hiring manager calls you for initial phone screening. Pretty simple stuff like C++ templates, iterators, SSL, difference between active and passive FTP. Since I already had an offer from another company and had to make a decision so pinged the recruiter and she quickly setup an onsite interview. It was a lengthy onsite process in which you ended up talking to 5-6 engineers and the hiring manager as well.

Interview Questions

• 1. C++ exception handling , copy constructors and many questions on C++ templates. Most of the interviewers were obsessed with templates and they want to dig into it. 2. Templatized linked list. 3. One of those senior guys came and started with a "warm up" question on network latency and from there on a barrage of questions... 4. Hiring manager asked questions on iterators and a white board coding on converting a byte stream into hex string.   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

I applied through a friend. The process took apx 3 weeks. Initially the recruiter called. Then the director called me for a phone interview. later I met the director in person. finally I was asked to come onsite. I spent one half day talking to the team.

Interview Questions

• The approaches I take in prioritizing features. They are big on strategy as well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

negotiate with the recruiter. Hiring managers are tough to negotiate with.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at a career fair on campus then submitted an application online as per their instructions. I received a call back a few weeks later, after which they invited me to interview in Seattle. Complete the interview and was given an offer the next week.

Interview Questions

• I was asked some typical how would you design an application that did X questions as well as explaining some of the projects that I had on my resume.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

Deeply Technical and a lot of customer support questions on how to deal with tough customers. Lots of Linux questions so you must know your Linux fundamentals as well as knowing the OSI model thoroughly and how to set up a basic network and how to troubleshoot it.

Order Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

Fairly quickly. Applied and received a request for an email the next day, interviewed the day after that and got the offer the day after that. Very fast process. Having someone on the inside helps. You essentially go through 3-4 interviews within a 2 hour block of time; you meet the hiring manager and individuals from whatever team you'd be working with.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't any formal questions...it was more or less the interviewers trying to get to know you better as a person so just be yourself and answer anything they ask honestly. be sure to ask follow up questions as well.   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was supposed to be one on one with three members of the team. Basic protocol questions from networking mentioned on the resume were asked. Recommend preparing on networking protocols thoroughly.

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied on the company website, got email next day from recruiter and set up the phone interview time. The phone interview last about 25 minutes. It's a technical interview about data structures and algorithms and TCP/IP. Nothing complicated.

Technical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and included an employee I knew as a referral. 1st phone interview was with the recruiter and lasted 35 minutes. He explained a lot about the company and asked me some general questions about my work experience. 2nd phone interview was 2 days later with the hiring manager which lasted 45 minutes. He asked me for more details about my experience and explained the job position in more detail. The following Monday I get a call and asked to come into the Seattle office for 6 one on one interviews with different people in the group on the following Friday afternoon. Interviews took about 3.5 hours, a few of hypothetical questions involving what-ifs but more questions involving details about my past job history and how I overcame difficult situations. The recruiter called the following Wednesday to say it looked like I had the job. The hiring manager called the following day to say I did have the job and I received the job offer the next day which I accepted.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

asinine impersonal lazy If you've ever had a phone discussion with a recruiter from Google, or Apple, or just about any tech company you're familiar with how they like to find good candidates and match them with teams that fit their skill sets. Recruiters that actually put a little effort into their job. Don't expect that with F5. F5 recruiters aren't even going to send you and email. They have an assistant who will do that. The assistant will schedule a time for a phone interview and that's about it. Then you'll have a phone interview where you are expected to write code on an online whiteboard. This is pretty common practice these days, but that isn't what is really going to happen. Your interview is likely to just hang up on you because he doesn't think you could write the code by looking at your resume. You can assure your interviewer that you read the job description and you have extensive experienced in every major area the job description lists. Give examples, sure, that might help. You can assure them that you you can work with the programming language he mentions. But you should just save your effort and pride and just say "Thank you. Have a nice day." because they couldn't be bothered to let you even attempt the coding exercise you were told to prepare for because they can't fathom how someone with your resume and experience could even begin to use the specific language they like to use. The recruiter will still not email you.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with network protocol development and implementation?   1 Answer