F5 Networks

100 candidate interviews

Network Support Engineer Interview

Network Support Engineer
Seattle, WA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in October 2007.

Interview Details – First, the head hunter had a list of questions to ask me, and I knew the answers to them. Then the corporate recruiter called me and asked me the same questions. Then I was called in for an interview. I interviewed the corporate recruiter, the hiring manager, and then a team

Interview Questions

• Describe the process of making a TCP connection from a browser to a server through routers, switches, and a load balancer   View Answer
  • Explain how tcpdump works and what the outputs mean.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered almost enough money. I asked for more. They came back with a counter offer which was good enough. Know the market.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer
Chertsey, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at F5 Networks in November 2013.

Interview Details – I got an initial email from the recruiter (HR), then scheduled with the same HR employee a quick 30 minutes interview, with simple and less-simple technical questions - no personality test. I did well, so I qualified for the second round: One hour of tougher technical questions with a support engineer. This is CCNA level and beyond (all 7 layers of the OSI model and the full TCP/IP stack) plus Linux.

Network Support Engineer Interview

Network Support Engineer
Lowell, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in December 2012.

Interview Details – Phone Screen followed by in person interview. This will be a panel interview over the phone and in person. Basically you will interview with about 7 people in the span of 3 hours. The questions are detailed and grueling, but they are only probing to see if you might be better suited for a more advanced position (ENE or EAE)

Interview Question – Linux CLI questions and Extremely detailed TCP/IP stack questions, HTTP questions and SSL questions. Know these backwards and forwards.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – E-mail. Very easy.

NSE II (UNIX) Interview

NSE II (UNIX)
Liberty Lake, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – Interview / hiring process is very thorough and detailed, and takes about half a day of interviews. They will keep asking you harder and harder questions until you stop knowing the answers. They are not trying to disqualify you, they are trying to see where your limits are. If you have sharp linux skills, and fair to middlin people skills, you can land this job.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They offered me the highest dollar posted on glassdoor for this position, and I took it.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in January 2014.

Interview Details – Had Employee Referral and had to make a quick decision, so they got me onsite
4 (1-1) + Paper based test
1st Interview:
Drilled a lot on projects and why this is how things were, was a pretty serious guy and never smiled not even when he entered the room.
How to find a circular list and the starting point of circular list
2nd Interview:
No of 1's in a number
the next 2 power of a number
3rd Interview:
Question on hashing function (how routing tables ) are designed
4th Interview:
Implement a code to print elements in binary tree on each level (non -recursive)
5th Interview:
Systems questions (how malloc works, how is memory made of up (stack, heap))

Software Test Engineer Interview

Software Test Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – Technical interviewer was great person. Had clear idea of what he wants and asked to the point questions...However Human Resource are lazy. Did not replied feedback promptly. Made me wait 1-2 Week.

Interview Question – Which encryption algorithm is costly (32 bit cypher or 64 bit cypher)?   View Answer

Product Development Response Manager Interview

Product Development Response Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in April 2014.

Interview Details – HR called me, organised a quick telephonic conversation to brief the expectation of the role, followed by Hiring manager round of interview. Later I was called onsite for 7 round of interview with 2 development manager, 1 incident manager, 1 product manager, 1 program manager, 1 test manager and lastly hiring manager. I was offered a job where HR called to discuss the offer verbally followed by negotiations and the final offer was sent to me by email. F5 was quite open in date of joining based on my availability and moved fast in bringing me onboard. HR coordinator worked with me for joining formalities and great set of documents on F5 Reference guide, Background check and benefits packet was shared to make my onboarding smooth. On joining my office was setup with laptop, backpack and many goodies

Interview Question – Your customer is too angry because previous solutions given, caused multiple other failures. How would you deal with this customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was quite competitive as compared to other offers I had in my hand from top companies in networking world

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very thorough process that involved a phone screen, followed by an on-site interview with ~6 others. The on-site interview started with a small/simple paper exercise on basic programming questions. This appeared to be used to seed one of the interviews. The individual one-on-one sessions were done with talented folks from those fairly new to long term veterans of F5. Each interview was unique, but each seemed more of a collaborative investigation more than simple questions and answers. White board work and general talk through things was encouraged. Overall felt like a solid interview such that when I received the offer, I was sure that I would be a good fit.

Interview Question – Questions weren't limited to my area of experience and some were more of a collaborative investigation with a subject matter expert. Working through questions about allocating tight structures and then manipulating them were challenging for on-the-spot work, but were actually fun in the end.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The whole process of moving to the offer was slowish and methodical as F5 takes hiring seriously in terms of budgeting and job fit. Negotiation was limited to relocation funds.

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – I was cold called off my LinkedIn profile then went through a phone screen. It was 2 algorithm questions followed up by general person questions and information about the job.

I was then flown out for an in person interview. They put me up in a pretty nice hotel within walking distance of the HQ where my interview was taking place. It started off with a written test covering java fundamentals as well as a short coding problem. I then had 7 back to back interviews that lasted the rest of the day. (Lunch was purchased for me by the boss of the team I was interviewing for and over lunch it was a very informal interview, mostly me asking questions about the job and the team and getting answers)

The interviews covered asking me to design a program on a whiteboard, code on a whiteboard covering data structures and algorithms, multi-threading, concurrency as well as being asked about SQL backend and databases. They hit as many bases as possible They interviewers were good with coaching and hints. They don't expect you to be perfect which is really nice. Overall I'd say I did really well on 2 of the interviews, good on 3 of the interviews, just ok on 1 and really bombed the last one at the end of the day but still got the offer.

Interview Question – How would you design an backend SQL database system for very large loads? (I have no database experience and my resume reflected this so this question really caught me off guard)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A little back and forth with HR. I was able to negotiate a higher salary. They also seemed to be interviewing for multiple levels of Software Engineer and allowed me to pick to be hired as a I or a II. I was able to get a verbal agreement on an offer about a week after the interview but it took them another few weeks to get that in writing. They had some issues with getting a relocation package ready they said. This put me off some but wasn't a big deal at the end of the day.

Systems Analyst Interview

Systems Analyst
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at F5 Networks in March 2011.

Interview Details – Initial communication was with the hiring manager on a phone interview. I didn't have any read on how the interview actually went, and as the weeks crawled by afterward, I assumed that I was not considered a viable candidate. A month or so later, I received an email from an HR recruiting coordinator asking if I could come in for an interview. I ultimately met with 7-8 people and then did a follow-up session with HR and then the hiring manager again. The people I did 1:1 interviews with were on various teams that the position interacted with, including a VP of the company. Just when I thought I'd exhausted all interview possibilities, I'd be contacted again to set something up. It sometimes seemed like they were trying to find a reason to NOT hire me! Ultimately, they offered the job and I accepted.

Interview Question – Lot of questions related to my experience, what my passion level is for the position and why, and was asked to discuss in detail some of the most beneficial system changes I had made.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for $5K more than offered and settle for $3 more.

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!