F5 Networks Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

3.2

Network Support Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in October 2007.

Interview

First, the head hunter had a list of questions to ask me, and I knew the answers to them. Then the corporate recruiter called me and asked me the same questions. Then I was called in for an interview. I interviewed the corporate recruiter, the hiring manager, and then a team

Interview Questions

• Describe the process of making a TCP connection from a browser to a server through routers, switches, and a load balancer   1 Answer
    • Explain how tcpdump works and what the outputs mean.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered almost enough money. I asked for more. They came back with a counter offer which was good enough. Know the market.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at F5 Networks (Chertsey, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

I got an initial email from the recruiter (HR), then scheduled with the same HR employee a quick 30 minutes interview, with simple and less-simple technical questions - no personality test. I did well, so I qualified for the second round: One hour of tougher technical questions with a support engineer. This is CCNA level and beyond (all 7 layers of the OSI model and the full TCP/IP stack) plus Linux.

Network Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Lowell, MA) in December 2012.

Interview

Phone Screen followed by in person interview. This will be a panel interview over the phone and in person. Basically you will interview with about 7 people in the span of 3 hours. The questions are detailed and grueling, but they are only probing to see if you might be better suited for a more advanced position (ENE or EAE)

Interview Questions

• Linux CLI questions and Extremely detailed TCP/IP stack questions, HTTP questions and SSL questions. Know these backwards and forwards.   Answer Question

Negotiation

E-mail. Very easy.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

asinine impersonal lazy

If you've ever had a phone discussion with a recruiter from Google, or Apple, or just about any tech company you're familiar with how they like to find good candidates and match them with teams that fit their skill sets. Recruiters that actually put a little effort into their job.

Don't expect that with F5. F5 recruiters aren't even going to send you and email. They have an assistant who will do that. The assistant will schedule a time for a phone interview and that's about it.

Then you'll have a phone interview where you are expected to write code on an online whiteboard. This is pretty common practice these days, but that isn't what is really going to happen. Your interview is likely to just hang up on you because he doesn't think you could write the code by looking at your resume.

You can assure your interviewer that you read the job description and you have extensive experienced in every major area the job description lists. Give examples, sure, that might help. You can assure them that you you can work with the programming language he mentions. But you should just save your effort and pride and just say "Thank you. Have a nice day." because they couldn't be bothered to let you even attempt the coding exercise you were told to prepare for because they can't fathom how someone with your resume and experience could even begin to use the specific language they like to use.

The recruiter will still not email you.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with network protocol development and implementation?   1 Answer

New Product Introduction Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks in September 2014.

Interview

F5 looks for the best. Not people with the right bullet points on their resume, but rather they look for people with an aptitude and hunger for learning. Most my interview questions were not product knowledge but questions that asked went in depth about advance technology concepts and also questions that made me have to think really hard rather than just regurgitating things from memory.

More than anything else they were interested in seeing if I was a person that was constantly challenging myself to learn new things.

Interview Questions

• A theoretical question about traffic distribution for a product idea.   Answer Question

Negotiation

"We want to offer you X."
    (X was an enormous raise for me)
    I said "Okay".

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. 1 phone interview with Architect. Mostly involved multiple programming questions and improving solution as much as possible. Got response after 2 days for an onsite. Onsite was 5 interviews with architect, principal engineer and senior engineers. Lunch with hiring manager. All the interviews were very good and very intelligent people talking straight about coding. No irrelevant questions at all. They tested algorithm and programming skills. After 3 days on onsite, got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interviews where about algorithms and programming in both JavaScript and java. They did let me know upfront the language they wanted me to code in. One interviewer asked mostly about system design and architecture for a web application with brief coding on each aspect of application.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was decent enough according to my research so didn't negotiate.

Network Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

Deeply Technical and a lot of customer support questions on how to deal with tough customers. Lots of Linux questions so you must know your Linux fundamentals as well as knowing the OSI model thoroughly and how to set up a basic network and how to troubleshoot it.

NSE II (UNIX) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Liberty Lake, WA).

Interview

Interview / hiring process is very thorough and detailed, and takes about half a day of interviews. They will keep asking you harder and harder questions until you stop knowing the answers. They are not trying to disqualify you, they are trying to see where your limits are. If you have sharp linux skills, and fair to middlin people skills, you can land this job.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They offered me the highest dollar posted on glassdoor for this position, and I took it.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Northeast, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Referred by a current employee. The process was smooth, four interviews via phone and one in person. Interviewers calling were on time and clear compared to some phone interviews I had where people had bad connections or tons of background noise.

Interview Questions

• How do you influence stakeholders you have limited contact with and little to no leverage for their cooperation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiable, comp and benefits are good.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Communication was great, the interview was staged into 3 technical interviews then a management level interview. The technical interviews all came in asking questions about real problems they were solving not just the theory BS that alot of places use. Management interview was lunch and just talking about various situations. Overall a very smooth interview.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult, but unexpected because I was interviewing for a python position was questions about javascript.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Initial offer was high enough I did not feel like negotiating so it was smooth.