F5 Networks

Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.2

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks in March 2014.

Very thorough process that involved a phone screen, followed by an on-site interview with ~6 others. The on-site interview started with a small/simple paper exercise on basic programming questions. This appeared to be used to seed one of the interviews. The individual one-on-one sessions were done with talented folks from those fairly new to long term veterans of F5. Each interview was unique, but each seemed more of a collaborative investigation more than simple questions and answers. White board work and general talk through things was encouraged. Overall felt like a solid interview such that when I received the offer, I was sure that I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't limited to my area of experience and some were more of a collaborative investigation with a subject matter expert. Working through questions about allocating tight structures and then manipulating them were challenging for on-the-spot work, but were actually fun in the end.   Answer Question
    The whole process of moving to the offer was slowish and methodical as F5 takes hiring seriously in terms of budgeting and job fit. Negotiation was limited to relocation funds.

Support Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at F5 Networks in March 2014.

You start with a 30 minute phone screen. Once you pass that, you get scheduled for an in-person interview that lasts 4 hours.
    The in person Interview consisted of three distinct parts. 90 minutes on Linux commands and networking;90 minutes on soft skills; 30 minutes with their recruiter. The later interviewers in the panel repeatedly asked how I thought the interview went with former group went.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the process in as much detail as possible, the steps that occur when you load a web page i your browser   View Answer

Software Engineer III Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks in March 2014.

I applied online through their job listing and got a phone interview call in 3 weeks. The phone interview was as interactive one with a requirement of access to a computer so that you can demonstrate your programming skills for the asked questions on the shared screen (White Board). Questions mainly comprised of Networking basics such as difference between hub, switch and router; basic linux networking commands etc. Some other questions included data structure questions for C. Interviewer was nice and friendly. No reply after the phone interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at F5 Networks in February 2014.

Applied online and got a phone call in a couple of days.

First phone interview was about resume, some technical questions and two coding questions followed by Q-A, lasted for about 90 minutes. The hiring manager was nice and easy to talk with. She explained me everything about the team. I told the manager that I had another offer in hand, so I would appreciate if you could expedite the process because the work sounded like it will match my background and experience. It looked like she did not bother about it because she just wanted to go with the standard procedure. So, next round was another phone screen (questions for interview at the end).

2nd round was supposed to be 45 minutes phone screen, but interviewer called in 15 minutes late and apologized but did not extend the interview by 15 minutes. Some OOP questions, basic understanding of algorithms and then a coding question (on collabedit). This is where I was surprised. I was given 15 minutes to solve and code the problem and I completed it in 10 minutes. The answer was perfect and the interviewer also confirmed that. But I was asked if I copied it from internet because the code was perfect and covered the corner cases too. Obviously, I did not copy, so I politely said no. I believe the interviewer also told that I will be recommended for on-site interviews.

Next day, I was told that I was rejected. Reason ??? they don't share. Losers! I am glad I won't be working for such a team.

Questions below (fairly easy):
    1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the missing element in it. (there is only one missing element in the array).
    1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the sub array with maximum sum.
    2nd phone interview question: Find out if a binary tree (does not matter if its BST or not) is balanced or not. i.e. delta of left and right subtree should not be greater than 1.

Some OOP/c++ questions:
    If you have an empty class like class Foo{} and you create an object of that class, what would sizeof(object) be ?
    What is the difference between merge and quick sort? Complexities (best and worst case)? Explain worst case of quick sort? When would you use one over other?
    What is auto_ptr (STL)? (I had c++ written on my resume, so that's the reason I was asked this question)? Can you create a vector of auto_ptrs? What kind of issues would you encounter while managing the vector of auto_ptrs?

Interview Questions
    • nothing to be specific...all were easy, except the size of an empty object of a class. We usually don't do that, so I could only guess logically   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks in February 2014.

Interview process is longer than most other tech companies.
    Had 1 phone screen with the hiring manager about my current work and 1 algorithmic question.
    Had 8 onsite 1:1 interviews with a paper-based coding test. The paper-based coding test is what you would give to a college student.
    All interviewers were nice and friendly. All asked me 1 coding problem and 1 general question about either networking, OO programming or security. Not all interviewers asked me about my current work.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were easy, nothing difficult. The interview process was too long.   Answer Question
    Negotiation experience was bad. Its difficult to get them to quote higher salaries because they have hard set ranges for different level. This is a problem when you are coming from a big or high-paying tech firm. You would most certainly have to go for a lower pay.

Product Release Manager, Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks in January 2014.

Pretty straight forward. I had a phone interview with the recruiter first and then later that week she scheduled an in person interview at the office. I interviewed with the recruiter again, then two team members, the manager, and the director (all 30min meetings back to back). I prepared well in advance of the interview so I was ready for 95% of the questions before they were asked.

Interview Questions
    • None really, but be prepared to answer the following:

1. Why do you want to work for F5? **This question WILL be asked**
      2. What are your strengths/weaknesses?
      3. Give me an overview of your last job.
      4. Answer questions specific to your resume
      5. Scale of 1-10, how familiar are you with system tools - Microsoft office, Agile or SQL?
      6. Why did you leave the last company?
      7. Explain any time gaps in resume
      8. What are some of your leadership experiences?
      9. Describe an accomplishment you are most proud of.
      10. Do you have any questions - AND OF COURSE YOU DO. ;)

View Answer
    They offered me an increased salary, bonus's, stock, full benefits, 401K match. The offer was very generous and I did not feel the need to negotiate and respond with a counter offer.

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks.

very good hiring process

another job offer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at F5 Networks in January 2014.

Had Employee Referral and had to make a quick decision, so they got me onsite
    4 (1-1) + Paper based test
    1st Interview:
    Drilled a lot on projects and why this is how things were, was a pretty serious guy and never smiled not even when he entered the room.
    How to find a circular list and the starting point of circular list
    2nd Interview:
    No of 1's in a number
    the next 2 power of a number
    3rd Interview:
    Question on hashing function (how routing tables ) are designed
    4th Interview:
    Implement a code to print elements in binary tree on each level (non -recursive)
    5th Interview:
    Systems questions (how malloc works, how is memory made of up (stack, heap))

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks.

I've applied online and heard back within 2 weeks telling me that they would like to schedule a 45 minutes phone interview with the hiring manager. After that, I've been invited to onsite and had two onsite rounds and one written coding test. I can't tell the questions because of NDA but I could say overall they've tried to touch every area that you might know.

It seemed like they were interested in what you know and how you think. They never say enough, as soon as you keep talking and solving the problem, trying to figure out how much you know. I've had two proper coding questions on board and one data structure design question for a given problem and two open ended problem solving and past experience related questions. There were also behavioral questions.

At the end of the second round, the recruiter came and said they wanted to move on and give an offer on the spot. I was caught off guard but was happy that the process was faster. The whole process (two rounds and offer, excluding the time between phone and on sites) took a week.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate as I had several other offers but the package offered was good and competitive. It had a slight edge.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at F5 Networks in November 2013.

Did a phone screening, and got invitation to onsite interview immediately. Onsite is 1:1 with recruiter (never did see him, but his assistant), and two engineers. Asking mostly networking protocol related questions, and big/little endian.

Interview Questions
    • When you enter an URL on the browser how things are setup in the network?   Answer Question