F5 Networks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at F5 Networks in November 2013.

Interview Details – Did a phone screening, and got invitation to onsite interview immediately. Onsite is 1:1 with recruiter (never did see him, but his assistant), and two engineers. Asking mostly networking protocol related questions, and big/little endian.

Interview Question – When you enter an URL on the browser how things are setup in the network?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – I've applied online and heard back within 2 weeks telling me that they would like to schedule a 45 minutes phone interview with the hiring manager. After that, I've been invited to onsite and had two onsite rounds and one written coding test. I can't tell the questions because of NDA but I could say overall they've tried to touch every area that you might know.

It seemed like they were interested in what you know and how you think. They never say enough, as soon as you keep talking and solving the problem, trying to figure out how much you know. I've had two proper coding questions on board and one data structure design question for a given problem and two open ended problem solving and past experience related questions. There were also behavioral questions.

At the end of the second round, the recruiter came and said they wanted to move on and give an offer on the spot. I was caught off guard but was happy that the process was faster. The whole process (two rounds and offer, excluding the time between phone and on sites) took a week.

Interview Question – I can't because of NDA   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate as I had several other offers but the package offered was good and competitive. It had a slight edge.

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in September 2013.

Interview Details – One phone session followed by 5 sessions of 1-1 interviews. HR was all praises on how good F5 is but I found it quite otherwise. We discussed salaries and F5 pays well. Technology is good, but they have some old timers who are trying to protect their turf. The office location is decent, but the buildings shake when trains pass through.

2/5 Interviewers were very well prepared and had specific questions related to position and work at the team. Even though I did not nail all the questions, I enjoyed the discussions and the problem solving mode they worked in. DNS, HTTP, TCP/IP, C++, Security, Data Structures.

1/5 interviewer asked very open ended general questions. I caught him yawning, before lunch.

2/5 interviewers were not well prepared and to a certain extent were hostile, aggressive and offensive. Both were older. One was very knowledgeable but arrogant. It was difficult to understand whether this person was asking a question or just giving an opinion for me to comment on. Twice, the other interviewer hinted that I was lying about how I executed on a problem and project. Did not provide any supporting evidence for me to counter. I tried to defend myself but this one nodded, waved and moved on, making notes and letting me know who was in control and who was being judged. This nasty behavior put me off for the rest of my time at F5.

My own assessment after the interviews was that I did good technically at 3/5 interviews and ok at 1/5 but this team will not be a good cultural fit.

Interview Question – I did not fare too well on DNS use cases and data structures around them.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product Management Engineer II Interview

Product Management Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in December 2010.

Interview Details – A very detailed interview that tests not only what you know, but how you problem solve. Collaboration is key to working successfully. White boarding skills and how you share ideas and information is important to demonstrate.

Interview Question – Detail a multi tier eCommerce site and how you would trouble shoot an order processing problem?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward

Software Engineer I Interview

Software Engineer I
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – A 1 hour phone screen with coding challenge and C language questions. A week later was called in for an in-person screen. Was given a written programming challenge, followed by interviews with 4 different people. In-person interviews were all coding on white board.

Interview Question – Unexpected question: What do you know about our product.   View Answer

Service Engineer Interview

Service Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at F5 Networks in September 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume online and I was called for an interview in about a week or so. Initial interview was with the hiring manager and I thought that went well so he sent me up to the technical interview. I don't know if it's dumb luck or not but I interviewed with the same Engineer twice for a similar role. Naturally I waited for feedback on the 2nd attempt, as I felt it went much better than the first, as I was caught off guard with the questions that were asked. I called, emailed to get some feedback and got nothing from either person that I spoke with and I'm not sure what to make of that. If you're not interested, at least send me a courtesy email stating that.

Interview Question – Explain from start to finish in network terms how a client connects to a website   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Product Marketing Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at F5 Networks in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and didn't get a response for 7 weeks. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and after I made the top 3 finalists, proceeded to have two in-person panel interviews, followed by a single HR interview at the end. These interviews lasted for 3.5 hours.

Each interview I gave a presentation on their strategy (this was required by the hiring manager). Overall, the questions they asked about the presentation were easy and elementary in detail. However, more than asking me questions, everything seemed to circle back to "F5 is the best place evvvvver" from 4 of the 6 people in the interviews. I was asked in each interview if I knew F5's reputation. (Note: I did post doing research before the interviews - but not before I applied) Since I have a good job right now, it could have been they were "over-selling" F5 to me.

Without too much detail, I found that the group had no flexibility in direction. Because I was asked to do a strategy presentation, and my 15+ years in the industry, I knew that there were issues (legally) with the outlined branding and through SEO market trends, a specific idea would fail. When I explained why I would do x (and not y), I was shutdown and again, told F5 was awesome and they were correct.

In the end, I sent my Thank You's, stay in touch, emails and didn't receive one response. Haven't received a reject letter either, even though I am positive I did not get the role. Even if I had -- I would never have taken it.

I highly suggest that F5 doesn't allow their ego's get in the way of attracting great talent. There are too many wonderful companies in Seattle to work for the wrong one...

Interview Question – What would I state to a <very specific name here> CEO about the product?   View Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – Phone interview . 30 minutes call

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself ?

Technical Questions :
Multiple inheritance and how to avoid problems
Difference between IMAP vs POP vs SMTP

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – a phone interview followed by an onsite interview with programming test. The phone interview was easy. Every 1:1 interview is like going through the resume first, and then asking one white board programming question. The white board questions were easy, but I didn't prepare well. The hiring manager ask me some standard behavior questions.

Instructional Designer Interview

Instructional Designer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at F5 Networks in May 2012.

Interview Details – Linked in page review, phone interview, in-person interview

Interview Questions

• Describe what happens when you send an email to me. How many places does it go before delivery and what are they called?   View Answer
  • What kind of phone do you have?   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – I asked for and reviewed some of their technical training online and thought it was grim. The interviewer told me what great work they did. There was a disconnect between my standards and their output.