F5 Networks

Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.2

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks.

A 1 hour phone screen with coding challenge and C language questions. A week later was called in for an in-person screen. Was given a written programming challenge, followed by interviews with 4 different people. In-person interviews were all coding on white board.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: What do you know about our product.   View Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at F5 Networks.

Phone interview . 30 minutes call

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself ?

Technical Questions :
      Multiple inheritance and how to avoid problems
      Difference between IMAP vs POP vs SMTP

Whats your weakness ?

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at F5 Networks.

a phone interview followed by an onsite interview with programming test. The phone interview was easy. Every 1:1 interview is like going through the resume first, and then asking one white board programming question. The white board questions were easy, but I didn't prepare well. The hiring manager ask me some standard behavior questions.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at F5 Networks in September 2013.

I applied online and didn't get a response for 7 weeks. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and after I made the top 3 finalists, proceeded to have two in-person panel interviews, followed by a single HR interview at the end. These interviews lasted for 3.5 hours.

Each interview I gave a presentation on their strategy (this was required by the hiring manager). Overall, the questions they asked about the presentation were easy and elementary in detail. However, more than asking me questions, everything seemed to circle back to "F5 is the best place evvvvver" from 4 of the 6 people in the interviews. I was asked in each interview if I knew F5's reputation. (Note: I did post doing research before the interviews - but not before I applied) Since I have a good job right now, it could have been they were "over-selling" F5 to me.

Without too much detail, I found that the group had no flexibility in direction. Because I was asked to do a strategy presentation, and my 15+ years in the industry, I knew that there were issues (legally) with the outlined branding and through SEO market trends, a specific idea would fail. When I explained why I would do x (and not y), I was shutdown and again, told F5 was awesome and they were correct.

In the end, I sent my Thank You's, stay in touch, emails and didn't receive one response. Haven't received a reject letter either, even though I am positive I did not get the role. Even if I had -- I would never have taken it.

I highly suggest that F5 doesn't allow their ego's get in the way of attracting great talent. There are too many wonderful companies in Seattle to work for the wrong one...

Interview Questions
    • What would I state to a <very specific name here> CEO about the product?   View Answer

Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at F5 Networks in September 2013.

Submitted my resume online and I was called for an interview in about a week or so. Initial interview was with the hiring manager and I thought that went well so he sent me up to the technical interview. I don't know if it's dumb luck or not but I interviewed with the same Engineer twice for a similar role. Naturally I waited for feedback on the 2nd attempt, as I felt it went much better than the first, as I was caught off guard with the questions that were asked. I called, emailed to get some feedback and got nothing from either person that I spoke with and I'm not sure what to make of that. If you're not interested, at least send me a courtesy email stating that.

Interview Questions
    • Explain from start to finish in network terms how a client connects to a website   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks in September 2013.

One phone session followed by 5 sessions of 1-1 interviews. HR was all praises on how good F5 is but I found it quite otherwise. We discussed salaries and F5 pays well. Technology is good, but they have some old timers who are trying to protect their turf. The office location is decent, but the buildings shake when trains pass through.

2/5 Interviewers were very well prepared and had specific questions related to position and work at the team. Even though I did not nail all the questions, I enjoyed the discussions and the problem solving mode they worked in. DNS, HTTP, TCP/IP, C++, Security, Data Structures.

1/5 interviewer asked very open ended general questions. I caught him yawning, before lunch.

2/5 interviewers were not well prepared and to a certain extent were hostile, aggressive and offensive. Both were older. One was very knowledgeable but arrogant. It was difficult to understand whether this person was asking a question or just giving an opinion for me to comment on. Twice, the other interviewer hinted that I was lying about how I executed on a problem and project. Did not provide any supporting evidence for me to counter. I tried to defend myself but this one nodded, waved and moved on, making notes and letting me know who was in control and who was being judged. This nasty behavior put me off for the rest of my time at F5.

My own assessment after the interviews was that I did good technically at 3/5 interviews and ok at 1/5 but this team will not be a good cultural fit.

Interview Questions
    • I did not fare too well on DNS use cases and data structures around them.   Answer Question

Intern - Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at F5 Networks in August 2013.

I directly contacted a recruiter via email. I had made contact with the recruiter previously based on a tip from a friend who had interviewed with them, so this may have helped my chances of getting a response considerably. I expressed my interest in an intern / entry-level job and gave them my resume. They got back to me on the same day, and we scheduled an interview two days from then.

They emailed a schedule of the interview, including times and people I'd be interviewing with. My interview loop had a short written coding test, two one-on-one interviews with non-senior software developers, and a two-on-one interview with team managers.

The coding test contained three problems: two very simple, and one somewhat tricky. I didn't actually solve the tricky one, but did explain how I would go about solving it. Not being able to solve it did not harm me too much. It seemed to be more about demonstrating some basic knowledge.

Both of the one-on-one interviewers asked some questions about things on my resume. Fairly general questions, but I did need to recall details of past work to answer them. Both interviews also contained a white-boarding question. The questions were not extremely difficult, yet I still didn't solve the question asked by the first interviewer. I did solve the second question, however. What seemed to be important to them is showing how you work through the problem, how you verify correctness (at least informally), and how you communicate with them about the problem and solution. It's helpful to ask for clarification. In retrospect, I could have easily solved the first white-boarding question if I had asked the right question, assuming they also gave me the answer that would have decreased the apparent difficulty of the problem.

The two-on-one interview was an off-site talk over coffee. They asked some questions about algorithms. One prompt was to just talk about a certain basic algorithm. Another question was the sort of exercise you might find in an introduction to algorithms text. They were looking for a basic approach to solving the problem. It was a dialogue, too, as they were willing to give hints. There was general chatting about the interviews so far, prior experience, why I was interested in the job, the work they do there, etc.

In each interview, it paid to be prepared to ask questions. It was also important to show interest in working there. I felt that each interview was as much a technical test as it was a personality test.

The total interview process took about three and a half hours.

Interview Questions
    • I can't give an exact answer, but do review basic algorithms and data structures, and know the basics of the string and I/O libraries of your chosen language, just so that you are able to code without documentation.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks in August 2013.

Submitted my application online and got an email the very next day to schedule a phone interview. Their HR group was very fast and my interviewer seemed very friendly and asked me about my background and about F5 Networks. Interview also involved typing into a website for the interviewer to see on the other side.

They asked about differences between a Binary tree vs hash table and the speed of binary tree and hash table. Asked an object oriented programming question, difference between object vs class, write a function that takes in a string and reverse the characters, write a function that matches a string in a binary search tree node.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at F5 Networks in August 2013.

Very sharp (smart) HR, brief phone interview.
    Nice, swift hiring manager, half hour phone interview.
    Third step, onsite with engineers, architect, upper managerial staff. Way nicer than what I expected reading glass door reviews of other sites. Tech eval was a smart instantiation, look at this code and tell me what you see wrong - plenty to spot that's wrong. Way less nerve-wracking than spontaneous whiteboarding a function that does X.

Interview Questions
    • Technical detail questions, from your resume, from 10 to 15 years ago, in more detail than conceptual.   Answer Question
    • This position is well below your experience level, why are you interested in it? (I can only gather a company is unaware when they have premium work environments/staff.)   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at F5 Networks in August 2013.

Through networking, made contact with someone in the department who pulled my resume out of the stack. Got a phone interview in which I was pressed to divulge my current salary. The recruiter wouldn't offer a range for the position I was applying for. Brought me in for an interview. Discovered that between applying and interviewing the title and focus of the job had changed so much that I was no longer qualified or interested. Big waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • On a scale of one to ten where ten is "obsessive", how organized are you?   View Answer