F5 Networks Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

3.2

Product Development Response Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

HR called me, organised a quick telephonic conversation to brief the expectation of the role, followed by Hiring manager round of interview. Later I was called onsite for 7 round of interview with 2 development manager, 1 incident manager, 1 product manager, 1 program manager, 1 test manager and lastly hiring manager. I was offered a job where HR called to discuss the offer verbally followed by negotiations and the final offer was sent to me by email. F5 was quite open in date of joining based on my availability and moved fast in bringing me onboard. HR coordinator worked with me for joining formalities and great set of documents on F5 Reference guide, Background check and benefits packet was shared to make my onboarding smooth. On joining my office was setup with laptop, backpack and many goodies

Interview Questions

• Your customer is too angry because previous solutions given, caused multiple other failures. How would you deal with this customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was quite competitive as compared to other offers I had in my hand from top companies in networking world

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Northeast, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Referred by a current employee. The process was smooth, four interviews via phone and one in person. Interviewers calling were on time and clear compared to some phone interviews I had where people had bad connections or tons of background noise.

Interview Questions

• How do you influence stakeholders you have limited contact with and little to no leverage for their cooperation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiable, comp and benefits are good.

Enterprise Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at F5 Networks (Boulder, CO) in April 2014.

Interview

This was a multi-staged process that took a few months ... first with a phone interview, then a group interview, then about a month later a series of several 1:1 interviews. I had hoped the process was a little faster paced than it was. Overall, it covered broad array of topics in a relatively newer field, DevOps, which essentially merges two realms (Networking and AppDev; L2-L7).

Interview Questions

• Not too unexpected, but the more nuanced question surrounded explanations of how the TCP protocol operates in certain conditions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was fairly straightforward. Dealt with the HR folks with any questions or negotiations I had and they were willing to see what they could do, if anything.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Communication was great, the interview was staged into 3 technical interviews then a management level interview. The technical interviews all came in asking questions about real problems they were solving not just the theory BS that alot of places use. Management interview was lunch and just talking about various situations. Overall a very smooth interview.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult, but unexpected because I was interviewing for a python position was questions about javascript.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Initial offer was high enough I did not feel like negotiating so it was smooth.

Technical Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

campus interview, phone calls with HR and hiring manager, onsite interview with engineers and manager

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

Very thorough process that involved a phone screen, followed by an on-site interview with ~6 others. The on-site interview started with a small/simple paper exercise on basic programming questions. This appeared to be used to seed one of the interviews. The individual one-on-one sessions were done with talented folks from those fairly new to long term veterans of F5. Each interview was unique, but each seemed more of a collaborative investigation more than simple questions and answers. White board work and general talk through things was encouraged. Overall felt like a solid interview such that when I received the offer, I was sure that I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Questions weren't limited to my area of experience and some were more of a collaborative investigation with a subject matter expert. Working through questions about allocating tight structures and then manipulating them were challenging for on-the-spot work, but were actually fun in the end.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The whole process of moving to the offer was slowish and methodical as F5 takes hiring seriously in terms of budgeting and job fit. Negotiation was limited to relocation funds.

Support Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

You start with a 30 minute phone screen. Once you pass that, you get scheduled for an in-person interview that lasts 4 hours.
    The in person Interview consisted of three distinct parts. 90 minutes on Linux commands and networking;90 minutes on soft skills; 30 minutes with their recruiter. The later interviewers in the panel repeatedly asked how I thought the interview went with former group went.

Interview Questions

• Describe the process in as much detail as possible, the steps that occur when you load a web page i your browser   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online through their job listing and got a phone interview call in 3 weeks. The phone interview was as interactive one with a requirement of access to a computer so that you can demonstrate your programming skills for the asked questions on the shared screen (White Board). Questions mainly comprised of Networking basics such as difference between hub, switch and router; basic linux networking commands etc. Some other questions included data structure questions for C. Interviewer was nice and friendly. No reply after the phone interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got a phone call in a couple of days.

First phone interview was about resume, some technical questions and two coding questions followed by Q-A, lasted for about 90 minutes. The hiring manager was nice and easy to talk with. She explained me everything about the team. I told the manager that I had another offer in hand, so I would appreciate if you could expedite the process because the work sounded like it will match my background and experience. It looked like she did not bother about it because she just wanted to go with the standard procedure. So, next round was another phone screen (questions for interview at the end).

2nd round was supposed to be 45 minutes phone screen, but interviewer called in 15 minutes late and apologized but did not extend the interview by 15 minutes. Some OOP questions, basic understanding of algorithms and then a coding question (on collabedit). This is where I was surprised. I was given 15 minutes to solve and code the problem and I completed it in 10 minutes. The answer was perfect and the interviewer also confirmed that. But I was asked if I copied it from internet because the code was perfect and covered the corner cases too. Obviously, I did not copy, so I politely said no. I believe the interviewer also told that I will be recommended for on-site interviews.

Next day, I was told that I was rejected. Reason ??? they don't share. Losers! I am glad I won't be working for such a team.

Questions below (fairly easy):
    1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the missing element in it. (there is only one missing element in the array).
    1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the sub array with maximum sum.
    2nd phone interview question: Find out if a binary tree (does not matter if its BST or not) is balanced or not. i.e. delta of left and right subtree should not be greater than 1.

Some OOP/c++ questions:
    If you have an empty class like class Foo{} and you create an object of that class, what would sizeof(object) be ?
    What is the difference between merge and quick sort? Complexities (best and worst case)? Explain worst case of quick sort? When would you use one over other?
    What is auto_ptr (STL)? (I had c++ written on my resume, so that's the reason I was asked this question)? Can you create a vector of auto_ptrs? What kind of issues would you encounter while managing the vector of auto_ptrs?

Interview Questions

• nothing to be specific...all were easy, except the size of an empty object of a class. We usually don't do that, so I could only guess logically   2 Answers

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Interview process is longer than most other tech companies.
    Had 1 phone screen with the hiring manager about my current work and 1 algorithmic question.
    Had 8 onsite 1:1 interviews with a paper-based coding test. The paper-based coding test is what you would give to a college student.
    All interviewers were nice and friendly. All asked me 1 coding problem and 1 general question about either networking, OO programming or security. Not all interviewers asked me about my current work.

Interview Questions

• All questions were easy, nothing difficult. The interview process was too long.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation experience was bad. Its difficult to get them to quote higher salaries because they have hard set ranges for different level. This is a problem when you are coming from a big or high-paying tech firm. You would most certainly have to go for a lower pay.