F5 Networks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very thorough process that involved a phone screen, followed by an on-site interview with ~6 others. The on-site interview started with a small/simple paper exercise on basic programming questions. This appeared to be used to seed one of the interviews. The individual one-on-one sessions were done with talented folks from those fairly new to long term veterans of F5. Each interview was unique, but each seemed more of a collaborative investigation more than simple questions and answers. White board work and general talk through things was encouraged. Overall felt like a solid interview such that when I received the offer, I was sure that I would be a good fit.

Interview Question – Questions weren't limited to my area of experience and some were more of a collaborative investigation with a subject matter expert. Working through questions about allocating tight structures and then manipulating them were challenging for on-the-spot work, but were actually fun in the end.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The whole process of moving to the offer was slowish and methodical as F5 takes hiring seriously in terms of budgeting and job fit. Negotiation was limited to relocation funds.

Product Release Manager, Product Development Interview

Product Release Manager, Product Development
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in January 2014.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward. I had a phone interview with the recruiter first and then later that week she scheduled an in person interview at the office. I interviewed with the recruiter again, then two team members, the manager, and the director (all 30min meetings back to back). I prepared well in advance of the interview so I was ready for 95% of the questions before they were asked.

Interview Question – None really, but be prepared to answer the following:

1. Why do you want to work for F5? **This question WILL be asked**
2. What are your strengths/weaknesses?
3. Give me an overview of your last job.
4. Answer questions specific to your resume
5. Scale of 1-10, how familiar are you with system tools - Microsoft office, Agile or SQL?
6. Why did you leave the last company?
7. Explain any time gaps in resume
8. What are some of your leadership experiences?
9. Describe an accomplishment you are most proud of.
10. Do you have any questions - AND OF COURSE YOU DO. ;)
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me an increased salary, bonus's, stock, full benefits, 401K match. The offer was very generous and I did not feel the need to negotiate and respond with a counter offer.

Product Development Response Manager Interview

Product Development Response Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in April 2014.

Interview Details – HR called me, organised a quick telephonic conversation to brief the expectation of the role, followed by Hiring manager round of interview. Later I was called onsite for 7 round of interview with 2 development manager, 1 incident manager, 1 product manager, 1 program manager, 1 test manager and lastly hiring manager. I was offered a job where HR called to discuss the offer verbally followed by negotiations and the final offer was sent to me by email. F5 was quite open in date of joining based on my availability and moved fast in bringing me onboard. HR coordinator worked with me for joining formalities and great set of documents on F5 Reference guide, Background check and benefits packet was shared to make my onboarding smooth. On joining my office was setup with laptop, backpack and many goodies

Interview Question – Your customer is too angry because previous solutions given, caused multiple other failures. How would you deal with this customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was quite competitive as compared to other offers I had in my hand from top companies in networking world

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Principal Solution Engineer Interview

Principal Solution Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at F5 Networks in May 2010.

Interview Details – Better know F5 products well or show acumen to pick it up fast as it is complicated kit. Knowledge of enterprise SW, HW and data center workings key. This job is technical and the more your are the better you will succeed.

Negotiation Details – Not much to aim for here. It is ranged on experience. ask for preplanned vacation, signing bonus if you are leaving or their range does not fit you.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at F5 Networks in August 2013.

Interview Details – Through networking, made contact with someone in the department who pulled my resume out of the stack. Got a phone interview in which I was pressed to divulge my current salary. The recruiter wouldn't offer a range for the position I was applying for. Brought me in for an interview. Discovered that between applying and interviewing the title and focus of the job had changed so much that I was no longer qualified or interested. Big waste of time.

Interview Question – On a scale of one to ten where ten is "obsessive", how organized are you?   View Answer

Software Test Engineer Interview

Software Test Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – Technical interviewer was great person. Had clear idea of what he wants and asked to the point questions...However Human Resource are lazy. Did not replied feedback promptly. Made me wait 1-2 Week.

Interview Question – Which encryption algorithm is costly (32 bit cypher or 64 bit cypher)?   View Answer

Support Engineer II Interview

Support Engineer II
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at F5 Networks in March 2014.

Interview Details – You start with a 30 minute phone screen. Once you pass that, you get scheduled for an in-person interview that lasts 4 hours.
The in person Interview consisted of three distinct parts. 90 minutes on Linux commands and networking;90 minutes on soft skills; 30 minutes with their recruiter. The later interviewers in the panel repeatedly asked how I thought the interview went with former group went.

Interview Question – Describe the process in as much detail as possible, the steps that occur when you load a web page i your browser   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a phone call in a couple of days.

First phone interview was about resume, some technical questions and two coding questions followed by Q-A, lasted for about 90 minutes. The hiring manager was nice and easy to talk with. She explained me everything about the team. I told the manager that I had another offer in hand, so I would appreciate if you could expedite the process because the work sounded like it will match my background and experience. It looked like she did not bother about it because she just wanted to go with the standard procedure. So, next round was another phone screen (questions for interview at the end).

2nd round was supposed to be 45 minutes phone screen, but interviewer called in 15 minutes late and apologized but did not extend the interview by 15 minutes. Some OOP questions, basic understanding of algorithms and then a coding question (on collabedit). This is where I was surprised. I was given 15 minutes to solve and code the problem and I completed it in 10 minutes. The answer was perfect and the interviewer also confirmed that. But I was asked if I copied it from internet because the code was perfect and covered the corner cases too. Obviously, I did not copy, so I politely said no. I believe the interviewer also told that I will be recommended for on-site interviews.

Next day, I was told that I was rejected. Reason ??? they don't share. Losers! I am glad I won't be working for such a team.

Questions below (fairly easy):
1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the missing element in it. (there is only one missing element in the array).
1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the sub array with maximum sum.
2nd phone interview question: Find out if a binary tree (does not matter if its BST or not) is balanced or not. i.e. delta of left and right subtree should not be greater than 1.

Some OOP/c++ questions:
If you have an empty class like class Foo{} and you create an object of that class, what would sizeof(object) be ?
What is the difference between merge and quick sort? Complexities (best and worst case)? Explain worst case of quick sort? When would you use one over other?
What is auto_ptr (STL)? (I had c++ written on my resume, so that's the reason I was asked this question)? Can you create a vector of auto_ptrs? What kind of issues would you encounter while managing the vector of auto_ptrs?

Interview Question – nothing to be specific...all were easy, except the size of an empty object of a class. We usually don't do that, so I could only guess logically   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in September 2013.

Interview Details – One phone session followed by 5 sessions of 1-1 interviews. HR was all praises on how good F5 is but I found it quite otherwise. We discussed salaries and F5 pays well. Technology is good, but they have some old timers who are trying to protect their turf. The office location is decent, but the buildings shake when trains pass through.

2/5 Interviewers were very well prepared and had specific questions related to position and work at the team. Even though I did not nail all the questions, I enjoyed the discussions and the problem solving mode they worked in. DNS, HTTP, TCP/IP, C++, Security, Data Structures.

1/5 interviewer asked very open ended general questions. I caught him yawning, before lunch.

2/5 interviewers were not well prepared and to a certain extent were hostile, aggressive and offensive. Both were older. One was very knowledgeable but arrogant. It was difficult to understand whether this person was asking a question or just giving an opinion for me to comment on. Twice, the other interviewer hinted that I was lying about how I executed on a problem and project. Did not provide any supporting evidence for me to counter. I tried to defend myself but this one nodded, waved and moved on, making notes and letting me know who was in control and who was being judged. This nasty behavior put me off for the rest of my time at F5.

My own assessment after the interviews was that I did good technically at 3/5 interviews and ok at 1/5 but this team will not be a good cultural fit.

Interview Question – I did not fare too well on DNS use cases and data structures around them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Software Engineer I
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – A 1 hour phone screen with coding challenge and C language questions. A week later was called in for an in-person screen. Was given a written programming challenge, followed by interviews with 4 different people. In-person interviews were all coding on white board.

Interview Question – Unexpected question: What do you know about our product.   View Answer

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!