F5 Networks

Updated Aug 29, 2014

3.2

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at F5 Networks in April 2014.

Communication was great, the interview was staged into 3 technical interviews then a management level interview. The technical interviews all came in asking questions about real problems they were solving not just the theory BS that alot of places use. Management interview was lunch and just talking about various situations. Overall a very smooth interview.

Interview Questions
  • Not difficult, but unexpected because I was interviewing for a python position was questions about javascript.   Answer Question
Initial offer was high enough I did not feel like negotiating so it was smooth.

Other Interview Reviews for F5 Networks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in February 2014.

Applied online and got a phone call in a couple of days.

First phone interview was about resume, some technical questions and two coding questions followed by Q-A, lasted for about 90 minutes. The hiring manager was nice and easy to talk with. She explained me everything about the team. I told the manager that I had another offer in hand, so I would appreciate if you could expedite the process because the work sounded like it will match my background and experience. It looked like she did not bother about it because she just wanted to go with the standard procedure. So, next round was another phone screen (questions for interview at the end).

2nd round was supposed to be 45 minutes phone screen, but interviewer called in 15 minutes late and apologized but did not extend the interview by 15 minutes. Some OOP questions, basic understanding of algorithms and then a coding question (on collabedit). This is where I was surprised. I was given 15 minutes to solve and code the problem and I completed it in 10 minutes. The answer was perfect and the interviewer also confirmed that. But I was asked if I copied it from internet because the code was perfect and covered the corner cases too. Obviously, I did not copy, so I politely said no. I believe the interviewer also told that I will be recommended for on-site interviews.

Next day, I was told that I was rejected. Reason ??? they don't share. Losers! I am glad I won't be working for such a team.

Questions below (fairly easy):
    1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the missing element in it. (there is only one missing element in the array).
    1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the sub array with maximum sum.
    2nd phone interview question: Find out if a binary tree (does not matter if its BST or not) is balanced or not. i.e. delta of left and right subtree should not be greater than 1.

Some OOP/c++ questions:
    If you have an empty class like class Foo{} and you create an object of that class, what would sizeof(object) be ?
    What is the difference between merge and quick sort? Complexities (best and worst case)? Explain worst case of quick sort? When would you use one over other?
    What is auto_ptr (STL)? (I had c++ written on my resume, so that's the reason I was asked this question)? Can you create a vector of auto_ptrs? What kind of issues would you encounter while managing the vector of auto_ptrs?

Interview Questions
    • nothing to be specific...all were easy, except the size of an empty object of a class. We usually don't do that, so I could only guess logically   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at F5 Networks in November 2013.

Did a phone screening, and got invitation to onsite interview immediately. Onsite is 1:1 with recruiter (never did see him, but his assistant), and two engineers. Asking mostly networking protocol related questions, and big/little endian.

Interview Questions
    • When you enter an URL on the browser how things are setup in the network?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at F5 Networks.

a phone interview followed by an onsite interview with programming test. The phone interview was easy. Every 1:1 interview is like going through the resume first, and then asking one white board programming question. The white board questions were easy, but I didn't prepare well. The hiring manager ask me some standard behavior questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lowell, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at F5 Networks in August 2013.

Very sharp (smart) HR, brief phone interview.
    Nice, swift hiring manager, half hour phone interview.
    Third step, onsite with engineers, architect, upper managerial staff. Way nicer than what I expected reading glass door reviews of other sites. Tech eval was a smart instantiation, look at this code and tell me what you see wrong - plenty to spot that's wrong. Way less nerve-wracking than spontaneous whiteboarding a function that does X.

Interview Questions
    • Technical detail questions, from your resume, from 10 to 15 years ago, in more detail than conceptual.   Answer Question
    • This position is well below your experience level, why are you interested in it? (I can only gather a company is unaware when they have premium work environments/staff.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lowell, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at F5 Networks in May 2010.

Lots of technical interviews (language, data structure, algorithm questions), including a high-level conceptual design interview for a similar kind of product.

Interview Questions
    • For me, trying to remember OO terms that I understood the concepts of tripped me up a little.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Applied online, got a response within 2 days which was quick. Passed the initial phone interview. Then scheduled pretty quick for an onsite interview. The interview was a whole-day event. It started with a coding test which was easy. They mainly look at C programming basics. After that I was interviewed by 6 engineers + 1 manager. Almost all of them came with a paper having 3-4 coding questions per interviewer. I found that odd given that I already had a coding test. Some of them did look at the resume, but it was mainly an interview to see how quickly you could code. Most interviewers did not give me to ask any questions which was very odd. Also I think they need to look at the candidate before firing 3-4 coding questions (string, bit manipulation, etc).
    If the candidate is a junior engineer I can understand. But if the candidate is having 10+ years of experience, I expect a bit more design questions rather than how quickly you can crank some code on the whiteboard. Most of the interviewers ended up asking the same questions, which I politely pointed out.
    I did very well in the interview, but for me I did not feel comfortable with the process and the people. All seemed to robotic and there was no "warmth" or "welcoming feel". Did not seem like a nice place to work.
    Also did not receive any feedback after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. Coding questions were standard questions designed for people with <5 yrs experience. Not appropriate for senior candidates.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at F5 Networks in October 2012.

A F5 recruiter contacted me, an information session phone call, then a phone interview.

I provided two available time - no response until the morning of the second available time. After which F5 rescheduled twice, and changed interviewer. Phone call did not came in until I ping the recruiter 15 minutes later. A regular phone interview mostly knowledge with no coding - interviewer did not seem to have prepared - told me recruiter will contact me in 2-3 days. No message. Followed up after a week and no reply.

Interview Questions
    • JIT compiler and how it was designed and implemented - I had different opinions with the interviewer on some aspects - he dictated he was right - I did not debate.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Classic tech interview that lasts the entire day. You will be expected to know it all, but will not be discounted if you cannot remember it everything. With that said, most groups are most interested to see how you will get along culturally.

I was prepared to counter whatever they offered, but their offer was so good, I just accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in April 2012.

I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. He was pleasant and introduced about the position and went over the resume. He asked lot of questions on Javascript
    1. What is prototype inheritance? when would you use it?
    2. What are closures?

I got selected for on-site. This is where i was not impressed by the team and the vibe in the company. The cubes in the company looked old and atmosphere did not sound vibrant.

I would have refused the offer even if i got the position.

Interview Questions
    • Diff between javascript and actionscript   Answer Question
    • Design a car rental reservation system   Answer Question
    • Perform Breadth First Search and code it   Answer Question
    • Problem similar to Tower of Hanoi recursive problem...more complicated on the pegs and disks. Scale it using an OO design.   Answer Question

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!