F5 Networks Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.5

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

asinine impersonal lazy If you've ever had a phone discussion with a recruiter from Google, or Apple, or just about any tech company you're familiar with how they like to find good candidates and match them with teams that fit their skill sets. Recruiters that actually put a little effort into their job. Don't expect that with F5. F5 recruiters aren't even going to send you and email. They have an assistant who will do that. The assistant will schedule a time for a phone interview and that's about it. Then you'll have a phone interview where you are expected to write code on an online whiteboard. This is pretty common practice these days, but that isn't what is really going to happen. Your interview is likely to just hang up on you because he doesn't think you could write the code by looking at your resume. You can assure your interviewer that you read the job description and you have extensive experienced in every major area the job description lists. Give examples, sure, that might help. You can assure them that you you can work with the programming language he mentions. But you should just save your effort and pride and just say "Thank you. Have a nice day." because they couldn't be bothered to let you even attempt the coding exercise you were told to prepare for because they can't fathom how someone with your resume and experience could even begin to use the specific language they like to use. The recruiter will still not email you.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with network protocol development and implementation?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for F5 Networks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. 1 phone interview with Architect. Mostly involved multiple programming questions and improving solution as much as possible. Got response after 2 days for an onsite. Onsite was 5 interviews with architect, principal engineer and senior engineers. Lunch with hiring manager. All the interviews were very good and very intelligent people talking straight about coding. No irrelevant questions at all. They tested algorithm and programming skills. After 3 days on onsite, got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interviews where about algorithms and programming in both JavaScript and java. They did let me know upfront the language they wanted me to code in. One interviewer asked mostly about system design and architecture for a web application with brief coding on each aspect of application.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was decent enough according to my research so didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Communication was great, the interview was staged into 3 technical interviews then a management level interview. The technical interviews all came in asking questions about real problems they were solving not just the theory BS that alot of places use. Management interview was lunch and just talking about various situations. Overall a very smooth interview.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult, but unexpected because I was interviewing for a python position was questions about javascript.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Initial offer was high enough I did not feel like negotiating so it was smooth.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got a phone call in a couple of days. First phone interview was about resume, some technical questions and two coding questions followed by Q-A, lasted for about 90 minutes. The hiring manager was nice and easy to talk with. She explained me everything about the team. I told the manager that I had another offer in hand, so I would appreciate if you could expedite the process because the work sounded like it will match my background and experience. It looked like she did not bother about it because she just wanted to go with the standard procedure. So, next round was another phone screen (questions for interview at the end). 2nd round was supposed to be 45 minutes phone screen, but interviewer called in 15 minutes late and apologized but did not extend the interview by 15 minutes. Some OOP questions, basic understanding of algorithms and then a coding question (on collabedit). This is where I was surprised. I was given 15 minutes to solve and code the problem and I completed it in 10 minutes. The answer was perfect and the interviewer also confirmed that. But I was asked if I copied it from internet because the code was perfect and covered the corner cases too. Obviously, I did not copy, so I politely said no. I believe the interviewer also told that I will be recommended for on-site interviews. Next day, I was told that I was rejected. Reason ??? they don't share. Losers! I am glad I won't be working for such a team. Questions below (fairly easy): 1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the missing element in it. (there is only one missing element in the array). 1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the sub array with maximum sum. 2nd phone interview question: Find out if a binary tree (does not matter if its BST or not) is balanced or not. i.e. delta of left and right subtree should not be greater than 1. Some OOP/c++ questions: If you have an empty class like class Foo{} and you create an object of that class, what would sizeof(object) be ? What is the difference between merge and quick sort? Complexities (best and worst case)? Explain worst case of quick sort? When would you use one over other? What is auto_ptr (STL)? (I had c++ written on my resume, so that's the reason I was asked this question)? Can you create a vector of auto_ptrs? What kind of issues would you encounter while managing the vector of auto_ptrs?

Interview Questions

• nothing to be specific...all were easy, except the size of an empty object of a class. We usually don't do that, so I could only guess logically   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Did a phone screening, and got invitation to onsite interview immediately. Onsite is 1:1 with recruiter (never did see him, but his assistant), and two engineers. Asking mostly networking protocol related questions, and big/little endian.

Interview Questions

• When you enter an URL on the browser how things are setup in the network?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at F5 Networks (San Jose, CA).

Interview

a phone interview followed by an onsite interview with programming test. The phone interview was easy. Every 1:1 interview is like going through the resume first, and then asking one white board programming question. The white board questions were easy, but I didn't prepare well. The hiring manager ask me some standard behavior questions.

Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Lowell, MA) in August 2013.

Interview

Very sharp (smart) HR, brief phone interview. Nice, swift hiring manager, half hour phone interview. Third step, onsite with engineers, architect, upper managerial staff. Way nicer than what I expected reading glass door reviews of other sites. Tech eval was a smart instantiation, look at this code and tell me what you see wrong - plenty to spot that's wrong. Way less nerve-wracking than spontaneous whiteboarding a function that does X.

Interview Questions

• Technical detail questions, from your resume, from 10 to 15 years ago, in more detail than conceptual.   Answer Question
    • This position is well below your experience level, why are you interested in it? (I can only gather a company is unaware when they have premium work environments/staff.)   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview

Applied online, got a response within 2 days which was quick. Passed the initial phone interview. Then scheduled pretty quick for an onsite interview. The interview was a whole-day event. It started with a coding test which was easy. They mainly look at C programming basics. After that I was interviewed by 6 engineers + 1 manager. Almost all of them came with a paper having 3-4 coding questions per interviewer. I found that odd given that I already had a coding test. Some of them did look at the resume, but it was mainly an interview to see how quickly you could code. Most interviewers did not give me to ask any questions which was very odd. Also I think they need to look at the candidate before firing 3-4 coding questions (string, bit manipulation, etc). If the candidate is a junior engineer I can understand. But if the candidate is having 10+ years of experience, I expect a bit more design questions rather than how quickly you can crank some code on the whiteboard. Most of the interviewers ended up asking the same questions, which I politely pointed out. I did very well in the interview, but for me I did not feel comfortable with the process and the people. All seemed to robotic and there was no "warmth" or "welcoming feel". Did not seem like a nice place to work. Also did not receive any feedback after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. Coding questions were standard questions designed for people with <5 yrs experience. Not appropriate for senior candidates.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at F5 Networks (Seattle, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

A F5 recruiter contacted me, an information session phone call, then a phone interview. I provided two available time - no response until the morning of the second available time. After which F5 rescheduled twice, and changed interviewer. Phone call did not came in until I ping the recruiter 15 minutes later. A regular phone interview mostly knowledge with no coding - interviewer did not seem to have prepared - told me recruiter will contact me in 2-3 days. No message. Followed up after a week and no reply.

Interview Questions

• JIT compiler and how it was designed and implemented - I had different opinions with the interviewer on some aspects - he dictated he was right - I did not debate.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at F5 Networks in September 2012.

Interview

I had multiple interviewers, which seemed to range from SE III to Principal in skill level. I had a lunch interview with three managers. It took all day. I was interviewed by very intelligent but very friendly people. It was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers had me problem solve how to protect against malicious code, which is something I wasn't very familiar with. We reasoned through various ways to protect the stack, and to detect heap corruption.   Answer Question