F5 Networks

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a phone call in a couple of days.

First phone interview was about resume, some technical questions and two coding questions followed by Q-A, lasted for about 90 minutes. The hiring manager was nice and easy to talk with. She explained me everything about the team. I told the manager that I had another offer in hand, so I would appreciate if you could expedite the process because the work sounded like it will match my background and experience. It looked like she did not bother about it because she just wanted to go with the standard procedure. So, next round was another phone screen (questions for interview at the end).

2nd round was supposed to be 45 minutes phone screen, but interviewer called in 15 minutes late and apologized but did not extend the interview by 15 minutes. Some OOP questions, basic understanding of algorithms and then a coding question (on collabedit). This is where I was surprised. I was given 15 minutes to solve and code the problem and I completed it in 10 minutes. The answer was perfect and the interviewer also confirmed that. But I was asked if I copied it from internet because the code was perfect and covered the corner cases too. Obviously, I did not copy, so I politely said no. I believe the interviewer also told that I will be recommended for on-site interviews.

Next day, I was told that I was rejected. Reason ??? they don't share. Losers! I am glad I won't be working for such a team.

Questions below (fairly easy):
1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the missing element in it. (there is only one missing element in the array).
1st phone interview: Given an array of integers, find the sub array with maximum sum.
2nd phone interview question: Find out if a binary tree (does not matter if its BST or not) is balanced or not. i.e. delta of left and right subtree should not be greater than 1.

Some OOP/c++ questions:
If you have an empty class like class Foo{} and you create an object of that class, what would sizeof(object) be ?
What is the difference between merge and quick sort? Complexities (best and worst case)? Explain worst case of quick sort? When would you use one over other?
What is auto_ptr (STL)? (I had c++ written on my resume, so that's the reason I was asked this question)? Can you create a vector of auto_ptrs? What kind of issues would you encounter while managing the vector of auto_ptrs?

Interview Question – nothing to be specific...all were easy, except the size of an empty object of a class. We usually don't do that, so I could only guess logically   View Answers (2)

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at F5 Networks in November 2013.

Interview Details – Did a phone screening, and got invitation to onsite interview immediately. Onsite is 1:1 with recruiter (never did see him, but his assistant), and two engineers. Asking mostly networking protocol related questions, and big/little endian.

Interview Question – When you enter an URL on the browser how things are setup in the network?   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – a phone interview followed by an onsite interview with programming test. The phone interview was easy. Every 1:1 interview is like going through the resume first, and then asking one white board programming question. The white board questions were easy, but I didn't prepare well. The hiring manager ask me some standard behavior questions.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lowell, MA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at F5 Networks in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very sharp (smart) HR, brief phone interview.
Nice, swift hiring manager, half hour phone interview.
Third step, onsite with engineers, architect, upper managerial staff. Way nicer than what I expected reading glass door reviews of other sites. Tech eval was a smart instantiation, look at this code and tell me what you see wrong - plenty to spot that's wrong. Way less nerve-wracking than spontaneous whiteboarding a function that does X.

Interview Questions

• Technical detail questions, from your resume, from 10 to 15 years ago, in more detail than conceptual.   Answer Question
  • This position is well below your experience level, why are you interested in it? (I can only gather a company is unaware when they have premium work environments/staff.)   Answer Question

Lowell, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at F5 Networks in May 2010.

Interview Details – Lots of technical interviews (language, data structure, algorithm questions), including a high-level conceptual design interview for a similar kind of product.

Interview Question – For me, trying to remember OO terms that I understood the concepts of tripped me up a little.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a response within 2 days which was quick. Passed the initial phone interview. Then scheduled pretty quick for an onsite interview. The interview was a whole-day event. It started with a coding test which was easy. They mainly look at C programming basics. After that I was interviewed by 6 engineers + 1 manager. Almost all of them came with a paper having 3-4 coding questions per interviewer. I found that odd given that I already had a coding test. Some of them did look at the resume, but it was mainly an interview to see how quickly you could code. Most interviewers did not give me to ask any questions which was very odd. Also I think they need to look at the candidate before firing 3-4 coding questions (string, bit manipulation, etc).
If the candidate is a junior engineer I can understand. But if the candidate is having 10+ years of experience, I expect a bit more design questions rather than how quickly you can crank some code on the whiteboard. Most of the interviewers ended up asking the same questions, which I politely pointed out.
I did very well in the interview, but for me I did not feel comfortable with the process and the people. All seemed to robotic and there was no "warmth" or "welcoming feel". Did not seem like a nice place to work.
Also did not receive any feedback after the interview.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. Coding questions were standard questions designed for people with <5 yrs experience. Not appropriate for senior candidates.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at F5 Networks in October 2012.

Interview Details – A F5 recruiter contacted me, an information session phone call, then a phone interview.

I provided two available time - no response until the morning of the second available time. After which F5 rescheduled twice, and changed interviewer. Phone call did not came in until I ping the recruiter 15 minutes later. A regular phone interview mostly knowledge with no coding - interviewer did not seem to have prepared - told me recruiter will contact me in 2-3 days. No message. Followed up after a week and no reply.

Interview Question – JIT compiler and how it was designed and implemented - I had different opinions with the interviewer on some aspects - he dictated he was right - I did not debate.   View Answer

San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at F5 Networks.

Interview Details – Classic tech interview that lasts the entire day. You will be expected to know it all, but will not be discounted if you cannot remember it everything. With that said, most groups are most interested to see how you will get along culturally.

Negotiation Details – I was prepared to counter whatever they offered, but their offer was so good, I just accepted.

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in April 2012.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. He was pleasant and introduced about the position and went over the resume. He asked lot of questions on Javascript
1. What is prototype inheritance? when would you use it?
2. What are closures?

I got selected for on-site. This is where i was not impressed by the team and the vibe in the company. The cubes in the company looked old and atmosphere did not sound vibrant.

I would have refused the offer even if i got the position.

Interview Questions

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at F5 Networks in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interview involved a phone screen, then 1:1 interviews with 6 people, which last more than 5 hours long, it was really tiresome. the questions I got mostly matched one of the guy who posted his interview here, they asked very tricky question like finding longest palindrome, multiplication with shiftting, finding the next larger number that's power of 2, compression algorithm, etc; I did fairly okay on the programming questions, but honestly, those questions were quite disconnected from my background and experience.

I hear nothing after the interview and pinged the recruiting staff, then he said he going to circle back to me in a day, two days it has been, still nothing. As a working professional, I respected the company and interview, so I do expect at least hear something back, I think that's not so much to ask I believe.

Interview Question – longest palindrome in a string   Answer Question

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!