FAA

33 candidate interviews

Management and Program Analyst Interview

Management and Program Analyst
Jamaica, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FAA in March 2010.

Interview Details – For a federal agency, the interview process was very well structured. There were several questions, and the interview was timed.

Negotiation Details – Government job, so, no much room for salary negotiation. Benefits for federal employees are pretty much standard across the board for all.

Airport Dispatcher Interview

Airport Dispatcher
Tampa, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at FAA in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online through Tampa, FL civil service. Was asked to come in to do typing and skills test within 2 weeks. Upon arrival, after paying $7.00 to park in downtown Tampa, FL the place was flooded with people applying for the same job 1 week before the deadline. Typing was easy, just type the addresses correctly with good speed. Skills test was average, mostly logical questions that pertain to job. Study guide is online at the civil service website. You will know before you leave if you will pass the test. I recieved an email stating I was in the ranking for the job and the FAA and not Tampa Civil Service would contact me if they wanted to setup an interview. No call, or follow up after numerous attempts to contact everyone about status.... (this seemed to be the industry)

Management Interview

Management
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FAA in March 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring process was very fair and considered all of the previous work experience along with education.

Interview Question – Situation based questions--Problem, Action Taken, Result   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Open for negotiation

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Regional Operations Center Interview

Regional Operations Center
Renton, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FAA in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was engaged two weeks prior to the interview with notification that I had been selected as a finalist. I was given the option for what interview period I would like [a one hour block with three interviewers as a preliminary followed by a 30 minute block with the hiring manager], then sent directions to the interview site in Renton. A background check was included in the process.

Interview Question – All questions followed a basic Performance Based interview process (find out about Performance Based Interviewing on VA website) - all the answers were there as well as Answers.com.
Typical questions included:
II Customer Service In your current job, who are your internal and external customers? Specifically, how do you get satisfaction feedback from your internal customers? Specifically, how do you get satisfaction feedback from your external customers? Give specific examples of how you have used both negative and positive feedback.
II Interpersonal Effectiveness A part of this job is documenting your work. On a scale of 0 to 10 with 10 being excellent writing skills, how would you rate your writing ability? Give specific example of the types of documents you write routinely. What feedback do you get from your supervisor on your writing skills?
II Personal Mastery Developing and using a detailed procedure is often very important in a job. Tell about a time when you needed to develop and use a detailed procedure to successfully complete a project.
II Systems Thinking In your current job, what organizational change have you made or contributed to that you are proud of? How did you go about making the change? What has been the impact of the change?
II Technical Skills Give me an example of a time when you used good judgment and decision-making in solving a problem.
  View Answer

Computer Specialist Interview

Computer Specialist
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at FAA in June 2010.

Interview Details – Very slow process - 2-3 months. Process is similar throughout the FAA. There are variants when it comes to interviews. At the interview ask or listen to the rules and understand them before proceeding. When completing the application, detail and verbosity are key. There are key works used in the advertisement and, if not found in the resume, eliminate the applicant.

Interview Question – None - questions were typical.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little negotion. Salaries are generally schedule values and not negotiable.

Contract Specialist Interview

Contract Specialist
Renton, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FAA.

Interview Details – Initially, lengthy online application process. Once done though, easy to edit and apply for future jobs. Interview time frame and hiring process is dependent on urgency to fill the position and of course, funding.

Interview Question – Being asked to expand on the definition of being "a team player". I've found the hiring person is looking for specific characteristics and not the canned response of "being able to work well with others, being flexible and adaptable". Person is looking for specific examples describing a situation, what you did in response, and what the outcome of the situation was.   Answer Question

Message Administrator Interview

Message Administrator

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at FAA in May 2007.

Interview Details – interviewed by groups and satisfied.

Interview Question – What is your work ethics   Answer Question

Computer Specialist Interview

Computer Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at FAA in July 2009.

Interview Details – Applied for various Computer Specialist and Scientist jobs via ASAP system. Called in for in-person interview; no phone screening. The first date was inconvenient for me; they rescheduled with no complaint. When they asked me for a further delay, I agreed. The interview started promptly and went smoothly. There was a panel of three interviewers from 3 functional areas. Each had a set of questions. Some were about my experiences, some were sort of hypothetical design questions, some were about credentials (e.g in project management). I felt that my resume and KSA responses had distinguished me from the competition, and that I was being judged on more personal issues (how to fit in, etc.). Several questions were about how to handle difficult workplace scenarios.
The interviewers were polite and helpful. AT the end, when they asked "Do you have any questions?" they seemed genuinely interested in responding. I was favorably impressed with the professional attitudes displayed.

Interview Question – How would you handle risk reduction in a project?   View Answer

Air Traffic Controller Interview

Air Traffic Controller

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at FAA in January 2009.

Interview Details – apply online, take ATSAT test, shedule interview and PEPC.

Interview Question – tell me about a time when you worked on something and failed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation for off the streets applicants

Electronics Technician Interview

Electronics Technician
Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at FAA in November 2009.

Interview Details – I failed the interview by not fully understanding a two part question. In all honesty, I was overqualified for the position, or at least it would not have been a good match for my work ethic.

Interview Questions

• The panel wanted me to describe a work situation where I had to solve a complex problem.   View Answer
  • They asked me if Iwas willing to work weekends and holidays.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at FAA

Worked for FAA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FAA interview questions and advice. All 33 interview reviews posted anonymously by FAA employees and interview candidates.