FAO Schwarz Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2014

2.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at FAO Schwarz

Stock Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FAO Schwarz in October 2013.

i applied to fao schwarz around late septermber and october, and i received the interview within two weeks of waiting. I'm assuming it's because it was the holiday seasons coming and they need more people to work during that time since it gets hectic. I kind of got hired on the spot, it was unsual of the supervisor but since i had experience as a stock associate, they trusted that, They only asked me if i knew how to work certain devices and what days i was available, if i was in school and i think that was about it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FAO Schwarz in September 2012.

i applied online then received a phone call a week later given me an interview for the next week i went for the interview it was a group interview we where interviewed by 3 HR's the handed out pieces of paper withe questions about your favorite toy and why your favorite movie and why they also breack you into groups and try to make sell them a toy you have to do all this in a room with 8-12 ppl at the end of the interview they tell you if you got the job

Interview Questions
    • just having to sell them an item you have to be fun and energetic during the interview   Answer Question
    none they dont negotiate you take what the offer 9.00/hr and you have too work every weekend and holiday

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FAO Schwarz in August 2013.

I applied online and was eventually contacted by HR for a group interview. We met in the party room by the big piano. We had to interview the person in front of us by asking him/her simple questions like his/her fav. movie and toy. We got up and introduced our partners to everyone else. We were split into two groups and had to choose a toy for which we would create a commercial skit in about 5 minutes. We chose our toy yet it was a trick because each team ended up choosing the other team's toy. Afterward, we were asked a few questions about our experiences concerning customer service, whether it was good or bad. Then we were interviewed individually and asked why we wanted to work at F.A.O. Overall it was a good interview process. All of the people in my group were hired that day!

Interview Questions
    • The only thing that was unexpected is that the groups ended up choosing each other's toy for the commercial skit. However, it worked to my group's advantage because we ended up with a World of Warcraft playset and our commercial was pretty catchy. Everyone said at least one line.   Answer Question
    My resume really blew the managers away and they mentioned that they were considering me for several different positions including some HR-like work. I simply mentioned that in terms of hourly wage I am willing to negotiate so when I am called back for training I guess I will find out the rest, including my actual position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at FAO Schwarz in September 2009.

I applied for a seasonal position at FAO, the good thing is that they take anyone and need everyone. As long as your respectful. SMILE and have fun you’ll be offered a job right then and there. The interview took place in the party room. Next to the World Famous Big Piano. So it was a bit awkward hearing chopsticks as the interview went on. We had to partner up with the person next to you ask them. There favorite toy, movie, and why would you be a good fit at FAO. You also had to turn to the person next to you smile and welcome them to FAO. At the end you’ll get into groups and do a commercial for a toy they give you. You’ll have to sell it and give its safety hazards

Interview Questions
    hazards there is no negotiation all sale associates start at 9 an hour. Hours can be long during the holiday season and cut once the season is over

Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FAO Schwarz in December 2010.

It was a good meeting, very casual. I met with several people and they all were very nice and had a lot of questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was the last book that you read that had an impact on you and why?   Answer Question
    • Explain a difficult customer experience and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at FAO Schwarz in July 2010.

First it was group activities then one on ones with managers.

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at FAO Schwarz in October 2008.

I first applied online for a regular Sales Associate Position in Early September of 2008. I didn't hear back for a while, so I put the job possibility to the back burner. Then in late October I received a call from the HR department regarding an interview for a Seasonal Position.

I went in for the interview...I was expected just a one on one but it was a combination between an information session, a group interview then a one on one interview. If the HR manager liked you, you were hired on the spot. Then sent to her assistant to fill out paper work. Then you were scheduled to come in for a training day (this was paid).

The training session was fun and informative. You got a tour of the store, learned about the history and the everyday things of the store...there was a quiz and a sort of test (involved finding your favorite toy etc.) Unlike many companies they do take the time to actually train you...even in the middle of the busy Holiday Season. Everyone was nice to work with for the most part, the trainers and managers were very welcoming and nice.

Note: FAO was bought by Toys'r'us so not sure if all the policies are the same as they were back then.

Interview Questions
    Most of the terms weren't negotiable because it was a Seasonal and Hourly position. However if it were a supervisor/manager position I would strong recommend learning the history of FAO Schwarz, have business cards and be confident in what you want.

Sales Associate Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at FAO Schwarz in October 2009.

The Interview was more like a workshop. There was a group at first and we performed various projects as groups. Afterward we would sit down for a basic one on one.

Interview Questions

Worked for FAO Schwarz? Contribute to the Community!