FCB

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Business Strategist Interview

Senior Business Strategist
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FCB in October 2010.

Interview Details – Meet with HR first, and then with future supervisor and three other members of the team.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at FCB in January 2009.

Interview Details – Friend of a friend notified me of the position. I interviewed with 4 people.

Interview Question – What's the most difficult client conversation you have ever had? How did you manage it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was called immediately after the final interview to say I had an offer. I went in asking for a certain number and it was met. Excitement all around.

Account Management Intern Interview

Account Management Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FCB in March 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted resume directly to HR contact on LinkedIn. Was reached out to a few weeks later. Had a 30 minute interview via Skype and was told decision a few weeks later.

Interview Question – Tell me when you knew you wanted to go into advertising.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. Just a flat rate for all interns.

Assistant Media Planner Interview

Assistant Media Planner
Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at FCB in February 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was conducted via skype, which was very uncomfortable. The lighting in the person's office who conducted the interview was awkward, making it hard to see their face and interact with them. For this reason, a phone interview would have been better because I wouldn't have been intuitively relying on non-verbal ques as expected with skype. The interviewer also wasn't particularly friendly or interested in interviewing me.

Interview Question – Describe an advertiser that you think has effective media implementation   Answer Question

SEO Manager Interview

SEO Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at FCB.

Interview Details – Hiring process for this position was actually a promotion. I reached out in an effort to build an SEO offering for Draftfcb in Chicago.

I was met with general enthusiasm, but was essentially put to a trial by fire. My first task, pre-promotion was to run a SERM campaign for the company. When success metrics were being met, and all top brass were satisfied, they gave me the job.

Interview Question – In this case, there weren't any tough or unexpected questions. Though, the toughest bit about this process was keeping very high-level executives informed and educated on what the processes, timeframes, and expected outcomes were to be.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple- I accepted the promotion in a meeting setup with my original and new supervisor. The raise was fairly substantial.

Account Supervisor Interview

Account Supervisor

Interviewed at FCB

Interview Details – Lots of attitude here. More flash than substance.

Interview Question – None were particularly difficult, just odd.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Terrible culture

Copywriter Interview

Copywriter
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FCB in September 2008.

Interview Details – I was fortunate on this one because I knew a number of people there. At the time I felt like the HR folks were great. I don't think those particular folks are still there though ....
It's a pretty typical BIG shop. All the typical goods and bads. Some seriously pretentious CDs, and some pretty cool ones.

Interview Question – I do remember being somewhat put on the spot by one CD. He seemed really eager to appear super cutting edge. And started talking about music, which is fine. However he seemed intent on "stumping" me on the latest latest.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Don't take the first offer. Unless it's higher than your wildest dreams.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at FCB in June 2012.

Interview Details – Had three interviews total: 1) HR, 2) direct manager, 3) previously financial analyst in the position, 4) department manager/controller. The entire interview process took a week, but everything was obviously unplanned and rushed to fill in the spot. Interviews took place in rooms where an appointment had obviously not been booked (other employees were having meetings etc.), everybody in the department had gotten a promotion because others in the finance department had either left the company, or had been let go. Managers were obviously unexperienced in their role, and came across as very unprofessional in terms of preparation as well as the interviewing presentation/process. The previous finance analyst had gotten a promotion, and came across very rude and was borderline demeaning and hostile; questions about my skillset that I answered confidently were met with "Are you sure? Do you really know how to do X and Y?" Withdrew my application immediately after.

Interview Question – None. No preparation went into the interview process, all generic interview questions   Answer Question

Senior Retoucher Interview

Senior Retoucher
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 months - interviewed at FCB in June 2008.

Interview Details – Temp-to-perm. Started as a freelancer, worked successfully for several months and was hired full-time.

Negotiation Details – The salary offered was acceptable.

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at FCB in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was really excited when I was called in for a brief interview with Draftfcb. I was told by friends who work for the company that this was the first step to being passed to the hiring manager. I talked with them about the position, researched the company, and felt confident.

I showed up, and went to the security desk two minutes before the scheduled time of the interview (hate being too early so you inconvenience them, but factored in elevator time.)

I was sent to one floor, where I waited several minutes. The interviewer came and brought me to her office on a different floor (elevator again) - no idea why she couldn't have just me outside the elevator on her own floor.

The reason I am nitpicking the time is because it was more than 10 minutes after our scheduled start time when we settled in, and she said "Now we only have 20 minutes." (It was supposed to be a half hour interview). But she took almost 10 minutes to get me from the floor she sent me to! If she had just met me at the elevator on her floor, we'd have started right on time.

She asked me some easy questions and it was clear she wasn't a subject matter expert regarding the area of expertise we were talking about. Hard to share wins with her when she clearly didn't understand it. That's fine but it makes it hard.

At the end of the interview, she informed me that they had made an offer to someone else a couple days prior for this position but were waiting to hear back. I guess I was backup, but I didn't appreciate my time being wasted like that. She also said she'd follow up within one week and it's been two.

It really soured me on a company that had previously been at the top of my list.

Interview Questions