FDA

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FDA.

Interview Details – 2 hour interview with a panel of 3 Supervisory Consumer Safety Officers.

Interview Question – You answered all of our questions favorably, so now tell us why should we hire you?   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied through other source - interviewed at FDA in July 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through a job fair initially and a phone call screening was conducted. Then an onsite interview was conducted at the FDA's local office with the direct hiring supervisor and overseeing director.

Interview Question – Describe a time that you had to overcome a challenge.   Answer Question

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at FDA in February 2010.

Interview Details – The opening I applied for was not posted on usajobs.gov
I applied at a Federal Career fair at my college.
I followed up on the application with phone calls and even a personal visit (this is not recommended. It was strange to them but I managed to make it positive with lots of smiles and charm. Later on I heard that some people in the office thought this was unprofessional. Nevertheless, I got an interview).
There was only one interview. Two Supervisors were present. Asked a lot of the basic interview questions. Lasted about an hour and half. I dressed in a full business suit.

A week or two later they contacted me about a the next step. I started out in a one year probationary period.

Interview Question – I don't remember the specifics. But I would just google "tough interview questions" and try to prepare for those.
I remember there was one question that I wasn't able to answer very well right away. After a few questions I asked to circle back to that question and give a more full answer. They seemed to like that, for what it's worth.
Take your time, show your interest in their careers and ask them questions about their time at the FDA.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiation. It was entry level.

Silver Spring, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at FDA in July 2010.

Interview Details – phone screen , one on one and than panel interview

Interview Question – there was not anything expected. just make sure you have an idea about the regulatory process.   Answer Question

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FDA in April 2010.

Interview Details – The federal interview process takes particularly long. I had applied for a CSO position about a year ago but got a call after a year and was interviewed for a different positon within the CSO area. The interview consisted of a panel of 3 people and they took turns asking questions. Questions are standard questions. Basically you want to use your past experience to bring the responses to the position applied for. They grade you for all the answers.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Consumer Safety Officer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at FDA.

Interview Details – I applied through USA jobs and got an email for a phone interview. Basically, the phone interview was behavioral questions. Some questions are:
Have you ever supervised other people?
What was your greatest achievement?
Do you have any idea what would you been doing if you are working as a Consumer Safety Officer?
In the description that they gave you about the position, they will tell you about some dangerous situations that you will have to face
sometimes and they will give you what does the FDA does, the type of work that you will be doing.
They will ask you if you have some criminal records
How do you approach and solve controversial situations in the career field, Provide an example?
Cite an example where you had to meet a tight time schedules, last minute deadline or work during an emergency situation. How did you handle it?what was your greatest challenge?
what are your weaknesses?

Interview Question – Are you willing to travel 50% of the time and sometimes an average of 3 weeks or so?   Answer Question

Consumer Safety Officer

The process took 2 months - interviewed at FDA in December 2008.

Interview Details – 1 Phone interview. The question whether or not you can travel was asked twice. It seemed as it this was something that was really important for you to be available to do. The question of can you handle pressure. Tell about yourself. Are you more an individual contributor or team player. Interview lasted 2 hours long.
The people were professional.

Interview Questions

• Are you more of a individual contributor or team player?   View Answer
  • Can you provide an example from a previous position where you had to be a team leader and/or individual contributor? Describe a problem you had to solve in either of those roles?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Take first negotiation raises are almost yearly.

Consumer Safety Officer

The process took a day - interviewed at FDA in July 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted resume via monster, took about a month for them to contact me, soonest interview was in another month, and said they needed another month to responds. Very slow process. Interviewed by a panel of 3. Scripted interview, interviewers took notes. Asked what I knew about the FDA, questions such as what was a challenge/problem I had to deal with, and how did I handle it. Was I willing to work in harsh conditions?

Interview Question – What would you do if you thought you had a better way to complete a task than how your manager told you to do?   Answer Question

Worked for FDA? Contribute to the Community!