FDA Consumer Safety Officer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FDA (Lenexa, KS) in March 2015.

Interview

I received an invitation for an interview in person or via teleconference on March 12. Since I was unable to meet in person I elected to have the interview via teleconference on March 17th. I then received a web link for the teleconference, a phone number, and an interview time. Once the interview commenced, I was introduced to 2 supervisors and the deputy investigations branch director as my interview panel. The interview was roughly 1.5 hours with that included some technical difficulties adding to the extended length. There were broad questions ranging from my knowledge of FDA, and specific questions in which I was asked to address situations in which I dealt with conflict.

Interview Questions

• There were several questions that addressed the job description's extensive requirement for flexibility and traveling. I was specially asked about being comfortable with the mobility agreement that is required for the position.   1 Answer

Unfortunately, I was unable to relocate my family to Kansas City so I had to decline the offer.

Other Interview Reviews for FDA

Consumer Safety Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at FDA in October 2014.

Interview

Interview consisted of a panel of 4 to 5 supervisors on the phone. It was a national bid, so the supervisors all called in from different areas. It was probably one of the more difficult interviews I've had. Just remember to keep in mind what the qualifications are listed in the job bid. The questions are scripted and will be based upon the job bid. For example, "knowledge of FDA regulations" will translate to them asking you about the FD&C Act, questions on CFR 21, etc.

There was a total of about 15 questions, and the process took roughly 1.5 hours. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• They read the particular job description to me. After reading it (took about 5 minutes), they asked if I understood it. I said yes, and then they followed up by asking me to relay back to them what they just said in as much detail as possible.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FDA (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

2 hour interview with a panel of 3 Supervisory Consumer Safety Officers.

Interview Questions

• You answered all of our questions favorably, so now tell us why should we hire you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at FDA (Dallas, TX) in July 2010.

Interview

Applied through a job fair initially and a phone call screening was conducted. Then an onsite interview was conducted at the FDA's local office with the direct hiring supervisor and overseeing director.

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at FDA (Silver Spring, MD) in July 2010.

Interview

phone screen , one on one and than panel interview

Interview Questions

• there was not anything expected. just make sure you have an idea about the regulatory process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FDA (Baltimore, MD) in April 2010.

Interview

The federal interview process takes particularly long. I had applied for a CSO position about a year ago but got a call after a year and was interviewed for a different positon within the CSO area. The interview consisted of a panel of 3 people and they took turns asking questions. Questions are standard questions. Basically you want to use your past experience to bring the responses to the position applied for. They grade you for all the answers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FDA (Cincinnati, OH) in February 2010.

Interview

The opening I applied for was not posted on usajobs.gov
    I applied at a Federal Career fair at my college.
    I followed up on the application with phone calls and even a personal visit (this is not recommended. It was strange to them but I managed to make it positive with lots of smiles and charm. Later on I heard that some people in the office thought this was unprofessional. Nevertheless, I got an interview).
    There was only one interview. Two Supervisors were present. Asked a lot of the basic interview questions. Lasted about an hour and half. I dressed in a full business suit.

A week or two later they contacted me about a the next step. I started out in a one year probationary period.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the specifics. But I would just google "tough interview questions" and try to prepare for those.
      I remember there was one question that I wasn't able to answer very well right away. After a few questions I asked to circle back to that question and give a more full answer. They seemed to like that, for what it's worth.
      Take your time, show your interest in their careers and ask them questions about their time at the FDA.

Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation. It was entry level.

Consumer Safety Officer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FDA.

Interview

I applied through USA jobs and got an email for a phone interview. Basically, the phone interview was behavioral questions. Some questions are:
    Have you ever supervised other people?
    What was your greatest achievement?
    Do you have any idea what would you been doing if you are working as a Consumer Safety Officer?
    In the description that they gave you about the position, they will tell you about some dangerous situations that you will have to face
    sometimes and they will give you what does the FDA does, the type of work that you will be doing.
    They will ask you if you have some criminal records
    How do you approach and solve controversial situations in the career field, Provide an example?
    Cite an example where you had to meet a tight time schedules, last minute deadline or work during an emergency situation. How did you handle it?what was your greatest challenge?
    what are your weaknesses?

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to travel 50% of the time and sometimes an average of 3 weeks or so?   Answer Question

Consumer Safety Officer Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at FDA in July 2010.

Interview

Submitted resume via monster, took about a month for them to contact me, soonest interview was in another month, and said they needed another month to responds. Very slow process. Interviewed by a panel of 3. Scripted interview, interviewers took notes. Asked what I knew about the FDA, questions such as what was a challenge/problem I had to deal with, and how did I handle it. Was I willing to work in harsh conditions?

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you thought you had a better way to complete a task than how your manager told you to do?   Answer Question

Consumer Safety Officer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FDA in December 2008.

Interview

1 Phone interview. The question whether or not you can travel was asked twice. It seemed as it this was something that was really important for you to be available to do. The question of can you handle pressure. Tell about yourself. Are you more an individual contributor or team player. Interview lasted 2 hours long.
    The people were professional.

Interview Questions

• Are you more of a individual contributor or team player?   1 Answer
    • Can you provide an example from a previous position where you had to be a team leader and/or individual contributor? Describe a problem you had to solve in either of those roles?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Take first negotiation raises are almost yearly.