FDA

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

3.1

Microbiologist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FDA.

I applied online and a few weeks later I received an email to come in for the interview. It went well, they did a site tour and I received an offer about another few weeks later. I was surprised the government hiring process went so smoothly.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, however the government tends to start you the highest the posting allows

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FDA.

Applied through school career center and heard back within a month. Six of the division staffs together interviewed me via audio conferencing. Interview questions were standard and not difficult. They spent more time explaining to me what the project is and what my role should be (though I ended up doing another project at work). Received an offer an hour after the interview.

unpaid internship

Pathway Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FDA.

phone interview with two people. They were very nice and fun. The woman even forgot what she had asked me already, and keep asking this question. However, it was a relaxed interview. They told they will contact me a week later, but no response in fact. Still waiting their response.

Interview Questions
    • mostly talk about the program, asked some fun question, and about the past database experience   Answer Question

Consumer Safety Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at FDA in October 2014.

Interview consisted of a panel of 4 to 5 supervisors on the phone. It was a national bid, so the supervisors all called in from different areas. It was probably one of the more difficult interviews I've had. Just remember to keep in mind what the qualifications are listed in the job bid. The questions are scripted and will be based upon the job bid. For example, "knowledge of FDA regulations" will translate to them asking you about the FD&C Act, questions on CFR 21, etc.

There was a total of about 15 questions, and the process took roughly 1.5 hours. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • They read the particular job description to me. After reading it (took about 5 minutes), they asked if I understood it. I said yes, and then they followed up by asking me to relay back to them what they just said in as much detail as possible.   Answer Question

Operations Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at FDA.

It is very slow. I applied end of December, and heard back that I was qualified about a month later. About a month after that, I was asked for a phone interview. Three weeks after the phone interview, I was asked to come down to Silver Spring for an in person interview. About a month after that, I was given my offer and a selection of start dates. If your given an offer, prepare for paperwork!

Throughout the process, everyone I corresponded with and interviewed with was super friendly and helpful...which was part of the reason I accepted the position!

Interview Questions
    • Phone (30 min): -What does the FDA do?
      -If you were in a high school play, what position are you?
      -Your boss emails you "There is a drug crisis in America"... how do you respond? What questions do you ask? What actions do you take?

In-person (2.5 hr): -They asked me to prepare a 20 minute presentation on a project that I worked on.
      -During the application on USAJOBS, you had to fill out a questionnaire to determine if you qualified. I was asked about that questionnaire line by line.
      -You have a billion dollars. How do you make Excel better?
      -Greatest failure.
      -What sources do you use if you have questions? Which do you avoid?

Answer Question
    Its the government. They go off of the GS grid and will give you what your experience and education equate to. You may be able to negotiate a higher step with in a GS grade if you come in with experience.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FDA in July 2014.

Applied for the job through my school, was granted an interview a few months later, scheduled through email and then conducted the phone interview. Asked extremely basic questions, like tell me about yourself? where do your interests lie? Heres the project were working on how do you see yourself on this project or in terms of this internship? pretty general basic stuff. The interviewer spent a long long long time talking.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss with me how you would connect with this project   Answer Question

Consumer Safety Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FDA.

2 hour interview with a panel of 3 Supervisory Consumer Safety Officers.

Interview Questions
    • You answered all of our questions favorably, so now tell us why should we hire you?   View Answer

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied through other source – interviewed at FDA.

I was hired in 1991 under unusual circumstances.
    I submitted an application at a job fair. During open season, I got a call for an interview and was interviewed by my future supervisor and his supervisior. I was offered the job. I had to respond quickly because there was a short hiring window.

Interview Questions
    I was young and didn't attempt to negotiate anything.

Regulatory Health Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at FDA.

Phone interview was a cold call. It went well so I went in for a full interview in rock. Three parts to my interview. One with the fellow RHPMs, one with the scientists, one with management. The scientist interview was a little stressful, as they were asking harder questions about experience managing projects. Managment had one weird question about researching birds, had nothing to do with the job, very out there. I must have done ok. It was long, about 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    I attempted to negotiate to a higher step and they came back and offered me the higher grade!

Cst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FDA.

Long interview which made me change my mind about wanting to work there by the time it was over.

Interview Questions
    I would try to get a higher offer if possible. This job is a lot of work.