FDIC Financial Institution Specialist Interview Questions

3.4

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Interview lasted from noon on Wednesday to Thursday evening. Friday morning they let you know whether you are offered a position. Assessment process consisted of a writing/grammar assessment, an individual presentation, a group presentation and a 1:1 interview (with three interviewers). I believe they are looking for the "whole package", not necessarily a certain "look" Can you read/write in coherent thoughts, sentences and paragraphs and tie it all together or do you write in slang or write like you text? The solo and group presentations and solo interview were not difficult though they could be a little nerve racking because you don't know exactly what to expect. I believe it's important that you know the difference between business dress and business casual. Again, if they are looking for the "whole package" to fit into their culture, you need to dress and act like you really want to be part of their culture. (Remember, when you walk into a bank on examination day, you need to LOOK PROFESSIONALl). It probably doesn't hurt to also engage with the employees, all the way from security at the front door to the highest level in the organization. Do you think all of those FDIC "volunteers" (the people that help you get to where you need to go) are not also observing you? I can't say that they DO have input into whether you are selected or not, but it seems to me that they are in a great position to provide feedback to those that do make the final selection. My observation is that the interviewees who asked lots of (what's in it for me) questions, those who used poor judgment in discerning between business dress and business casual and those that exuded over-the-top confidence because they currently work for the government were not offered a position. I'd recommend being confident, taking charge when necessary (but don't be overbearing), being humble, and doing some homework about the agency before you show up so that you are not the one asking 1,001 questions and getting every other applicant annoyed with you. The FDIC performs a public trust background check on you (after you accept your tentative offer) and before they give you the final offer letter. Know what a public trust background check entails so that if you are offered the position, you are not disqualified based on not being able to pass that part of the process. It was a nice get-away, the entire FDIC staff was very professional, and the entire trip was paid for.

Interview Questions

• No assessment, presentation scenario, or interview question was hard; complying with the time constraints to complete each assignment presented a bit of a challenge.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. However, over the course of four years you can move from approximately $50k to $80k as long as your performance meets or exceeds standards.

Other Interview Reviews for FDIC

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was conducted over a span of two days with an offer being extended after breakfast on the third day. This a testing interview and there are plenty of things they are looking for: initiative, teamwork, and how well you fit in the culture. They also look for you to justify any decisions made during the tests. The process is nerve-racking. Out of 44 people, 13 were hired. I don't believe all field offices were able to pick someone; according to another applicant hiring managers are unable to pick anyone who scores below a certain threshold. If you fail too many of the tests and the interview, then you won't be hired. Some of the people offered the position felt they did poorly in one test but average/above average on the rest, so doing poorly in one area won't hurt you too badly. And don't be afraid to make a social faux pas. I made one. Another guy made one. We were both hired. You're going up against accounting experience, advanced degrees, and veterans. It's a tough competition. You'll be tempted to act like a shark - don't. No one who received an offer acted that way. Be polite, make friends with your group, discuss the position with your recruiter and your interviewers, and more importantly make sure the FDIC is the right place for you.

Interview Questions

• They have themes for each question, of which there are four. I would go in knowing three or four characteristics about yourself you'd like to share with them and have one or two examples for each one. All of the questions here already are similar to the questions I answered.   Answer Question

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Interview

After a resume screen, you go to DC for a two day final interview. You have to do a simple math case, team work assessment, writing assignment, and interview. The writing assignment is the most important -- if the writing isn't satisfactory, you won't get an offer even if the supervisor really likes you.

Interview Questions

• Nothing is difficult, as they ask the same questions every time. When I interviewed, I already knew the exact questions they'd ask because of GlassDoor. But be prepared that in FDIC interviews, they ask a question and then the interviewers do not say a word. They just stare at you and see if you hit the required points on their rubric. It's very awkward.   Answer Question

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Once you are selected for an interview they fly you out to Washington to participate in a 3 day assessment process. The 3 days go by fast because they keep you busy the entire time. The first day you take a proof reading test and write an essay. The second day you have two presentations and your interview. The last day they let you know if you have been selected for a position. I believe these three days are a complete waste of time. I believe they have a certain look they are going for.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you used your interpersonal skills to persuade someone to go into a different direction.   Answer Question

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

It was a recruiting event that lasted three days. It includes writing assessments, individual presentations, group presentations, and panel interviews. You are tested in the following area: grammar and sentence structure, writing style, math, accounting, team work, and adaptively. At the end of the three day recruiting event you will find out if there is a job offer or not.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC (Arlington, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

The process was a complete mindgame, and sadly is not a true emulation of the required skills to work for the corporation. The worst part of the entire process is, even if you are the top candidate for your particular application area, you will still not be chosen over the veteran that applies alongside you. Below is a full breakdown of the 3 day hiring event. Day 1 Writing Assessment Begins with a proofreading exercise that is a letter from a college admissions office offering acceptance to an applicant. There are roughly 15 errors, and be sure to understand what syntax means, as you must correct for that. Next you have 3 possible prompts to choose from, and you must develop a persuasive paper. The 3 possible prompts were as follows: buying a new vs. used car, living with a roommate vs. living alone, taking an online class vs. in class session. They say that most people who are not hired fail on this portion of the assessment, however they will not tell you your score. Day 2 Financial Analysis & Presentation You will first be presented with some financial statements to fill out and complete (you do not need any accounting knowledge in order to complete this, simply addition, subtraction, mult. and division). Once you complete this they will take the sheet away and you will begin developing an analysis on which of 2 offers to accept for a drycleaning company. One offer is from a larger corporation, the other is from a community corporation. The idea is that you prepare an analysis and present it to a panel who is supposed to be the Board of Directors for the company Group Analysis The group analysis is on the same argument, however you must collectively come up with an argument and present to a panel who are again supposed to be board members of a company. Be prepared to receive a large amount of data with only 20 minutes to prepare your argument. Also be prepared to be watched as if you are a lab subject during the preparation phase. Structured Interview Standard federal government interview. 4 questions. panel. no response. Overall the idea is that they have 12 benchmarks they seek from you during these assessments. Be prepared to wait long periods of time during each assessment as well as lots of other unnecessary sessions in between the assessments.

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FDIC.

Interview

Phone interview to get into the Financial Management Scholar summer internship while in college. Two interviewers on the phone, with very structured, typical behavioral questions (ie talk about a team you were in a conflict, how you resolved it, etc). At the end of the internship, there is a 2-day focused interview process: easy math test, SAT-style essay writing, basic grammar test, brief individual case prep (30mins?) with presentation before two judges (3-10mins?), and a group case prep with presentation before a panel of 5-6 judges that watch how you interact with your team members to prepare the presentation before delivering the presentation before them. Those who did not go through the summer internship program may have additional interviews in addition to these presentations and assessments. These interviews include 1:1 interviews or even a panel interview with more than one judge. Be as candid as you can be, but take the interview/presentations seriously People do get cut for underperforming.

Interview Questions

• No surprises - this is the government. If you've done any other job interviews before you should know what to expect.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. You pick out your top 5 locations, and you will get hired to one of them based on the company's need. Pay is based on location of the office. You will get full relocation benefits.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FDIC (Tampa, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process consist of spending 3 days in Washington D.C. The first day is set up an introduction and you have to take a reading and writing test. The second day you have 2 presentations and some math problems. They also go over all aspects of the company. The morning of the 3rd day you either get a job offer or you don't.

Interview Questions

• One of the interview questions was describe a conflict that you faced and how you handled and what was the end result.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FDIC (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied online. After application and closing of announcement a month went by when I received a call for telephonic interview. After participating in the interview, another 2 weeks went by when I received tentative offer. Prepare yourself for the background check this can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. I was only asked 4 questions in the interview they were: how to interact in a group setting, how to deal with difficult people, problem solving and work maintenence and multi tasking.

Interview Questions

• In addition to answering the questions must explain why, and how you decided on the actions you took.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. You will get what they offer. But you will not be disappointed. Interns make between 30 and 40k.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FDIC (Washington, DC) in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online, received a call within 2 weeks of the interview date. I was flown out to DC on a Wednesday. That day you are seperated into groups and you take a proof reading test and writing test. The proof reading assignment focuses on spelling, punctuation and grammar. The writing test is a basic essay (Introduction, body and conclusion/ending). Be sure to follow directions and answer specific questions that they ask you to in the essay! That night, you go to a dinner and listen to a few speakers and then they take you on a tour of DC. The second day is busy but it goes by fast. You start off with a few workshops that tell you more about the company and its benefits. Then you have a business analysis, basic accounting test and an oral presentation. The business analysis is viewing 2 companies and what they have been doing. Know all of your basic accounting formulas. During the oral presentation (on the business analysis), be sure to answer the questions that they ask you to and make sure you take at LEAST 5 minutes. After the presentation, you are broken into groups of 4/5 and taken into a room where people will analyze how you work in a team. Extra information about the businesses from the analysis will be given to you and you have to decide what is best and present it orally as a team. Again, answer ALL the questions and follow directions. Next, you go to a few more information sessions. Last is the structured interview where they ask everyone the SAME four questions and they can not explain them. They will repeat as many times as you would like to. Write down everything and answer all parts of the question. There is NEVER one part to answer. On the third day, they will make you suffer by sitting around waiting for 2 hours but you will either get a job offer or go back to the airport. Lodging and food is comfortable and great.

Interview Questions

• Name a change that you have faced (work or school). What steps did you take and what was the outcome? Name 2/3 strengths that you have when working with a team. Name a time when you faced a problem. What was the problem? What steps did you take to solve the problem and what was the ending result? Name a time when you had to analyze data? What did you analyze? How did you analyze it? What was the outcome?   4 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiations. Salary is based on location, locality rates and previous careers, if any.