FDIC

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FDIC.

Interview Details – Applied online. After application and closing of announcement a month went by when I received a call for telephonic interview. After participating in the interview, another 2 weeks went by when I received tentative offer. Prepare yourself for the background check this can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. I was only asked 4 questions in the interview they were: how to interact in a group setting, how to deal with difficult people, problem solving and work maintenence and multi tasking.

Interview Question – In addition to answering the questions must explain why, and how you decided on the actions you took.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. You will get what they offer. But you will not be disappointed. Interns make between 30 and 40k.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at FDIC in March 2011.

Interview Details – They asked me mostly fit questions on the phone. There was a super day during which there was a writing assessment, and a few case presentations as well. The FDIC is really looking for someone who can fit into the culture of the FDIC which is quite particular. You really need to be a team player and emphasize your ability for discretion.

Interview Question – It really wasn't that difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Well its the government so negotiation is tough but not impossible if they really like you.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at FDIC in May 2013.

Interview Details – Got a call a week prior to the interview inviting me out to Washington D.C. It was a 3 day event in which around 50 applicants were invited.
Day 1 included informational booths, a written assessment, a meet and greet reception, and a dinner with FDIC executives.
Day 2 included more informational booths, a business analysis(math and accounting), a presentation of your analysis, and a teamwork analysis.
Day 3 had a closing speaker and afterwards they handed out offers. There is also a security clearance investigation which I am currently undergoing(yes I got an offer).

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you had to unexpectedly change a procedure or be flexible with a project? Use work, school, or other projects to find an example. Be very detailed.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – They are willing to match "like" offers, but the job description needs to be very similar to the job you are accepting.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FDIC in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a call within 2 weeks of the interview date. I was flown out to DC on a Wednesday. That day you are seperated into groups and you take a proof reading test and writing test. The proof reading assignment focuses on spelling, punctuation and grammar. The writing test is a basic essay (Introduction, body and conclusion/ending). Be sure to follow directions and answer specific questions that they ask you to in the essay! That night, you go to a dinner and listen to a few speakers and then they take you on a tour of DC. The second day is busy but it goes by fast. You start off with a few workshops that tell you more about the company and its benefits. Then you have a business analysis, basic accounting test and an oral presentation. The business analysis is viewing 2 companies and what they have been doing. Know all of your basic accounting formulas. During the oral presentation (on the business analysis), be sure to answer the questions that they ask you to and make sure you take at LEAST 5 minutes. After the presentation, you are broken into groups of 4/5 and taken into a room where people will analyze how you work in a team. Extra information about the businesses from the analysis will be given to you and you have to decide what is best and present it orally as a team. Again, answer ALL the questions and follow directions. Next, you go to a few more information sessions. Last is the structured interview where they ask everyone the SAME four questions and they can not explain them. They will repeat as many times as you would like to. Write down everything and answer all parts of the question. There is NEVER one part to answer. On the third day, they will make you suffer by sitting around waiting for 2 hours but you will either get a job offer or go back to the airport.
Lodging and food is comfortable and great.

Interview Question – Name a change that you have faced (work or school). What steps did you take and what was the outcome?

Name 2/3 strengths that you have when working with a team. Name a time when you faced a problem. What was the problem? What steps did you take to solve the problem and what was the ending result?

Name a time when you had to analyze data? What did you analyze? How did you analyze it? What was the outcome?
  View Answers (4)

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Salary is based on location, locality rates and previous careers, if any.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FDIC in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was flown to DC for an event called "super friday". we flew in on thursday, interviewed on friday, and were advised if we got the job on Saturday morning before our flight back home. The interview was fine, and I felt the questions were fair.

Interview Question – They don't give you a lot of guidance on how to answer the questions, and they don't repeat the questions, after you've begun your answer. Take a pen and paper in and write down the entire question, especially if its a multiple part question so you can answer the whole thing without leaving anything out   View Answers (2)

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at FDIC in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on USAJobs, received a call to fly out about a month later. Went to DC and had two days of various assessments followed by a third day in which offers were handed out. The first day was a basic writing assessment (easy prompt in which you are asked to compare and contrast two things) and dinner across from the white house. The second day involved a basic behavioral interview with 3 people, as well as a business presentation. The presentation included an hour long preparation phase in which you do some basic math (know basic accounting formulas) and compare and contrast two offers. In the second portion, you are asked to present your findings to a panel of three FDIC employees who will not ask you questions. Finally, you will be asked to participate in a teamwork assessment in which a group of candidates discuss different business proposals and present on their pros and cons. The following morning, candidates who received offers have their names called and candidates who don't are sent home. In between these events there are a handful of useless info sessions.

Interview Question – What is your core work foundation?   View Answers (3)

Financial Institution Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at FDIC.

Interview Details – Offered opportunity to fly out to DC for three day interview process. Writing analysis and proofreading assessments on day one, as well as a oral presentation. 2nd day a team-building event and the structured interview. Behavioral based questions -

Interview Question – What steps did you take to resolve a complex problem?   View Answers (2)

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at FDIC in October 2012.

Interview Details – They fly you in on a Wednesday and have a social mixer that night. The following day the have a test on very basic math/accounting and writing. They do a teamwork interview and a structured interview. The spend most of the time discussing the postions through numerous classes. I personally felt 90% of the process was unnecessary. I was one of the only candidates without an MBA and/or CPA with 5 plus years experience. The only applicants I saw hired from my class were already interns or working as temps, and even some of them did not get offers. If given the option to interview again I would not.

Interview Question – The questions were standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at FDIC

Interview Details – Basic government hiring, four questions to respond to, little interplay.

Interview Question – Name most difficult situation you faced and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, take it or leave it.

Washington Dt, CT

The process took 3 days - interviewed at FDIC in November 2009.

Interview Details – 3 day process. You do a writing assessment and a group interview in addition to a presentation.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time where you were presented with a difficult situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question
  • Give me a time where you had to analyze data and what the end result was   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary is difficult to negotiate unless you have a competing offer.

Interviews for Top Jobs at FDIC

Worked for FDIC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FDIC Financial Institution Specialist interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by FDIC employees and interview candidates.