FDIC

Very Difficult Interview

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Financial Institution Specialist
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at FDIC in June 2014.

Interview Details – The process was a complete mindgame, and sadly is not a true emulation of the required skills to work for the corporation. The worst part of the entire process is, even if you are the top candidate for your particular application area, you will still not be chosen over the veteran that applies alongside you. Below is a full breakdown of the 3 day hiring event.

Day 1
Writing Assessment
Begins with a proofreading exercise that is a letter from a college admissions office offering acceptance to an applicant. There are roughly 15 errors, and be sure to understand what syntax means, as you must correct for that. Next you have 3 possible prompts to choose from, and you must develop a persuasive paper. The 3 possible prompts were as follows: buying a new vs. used car, living with a roommate vs. living alone, taking an online class vs. in class session. They say that most people who are not hired fail on this portion of the assessment, however they will not tell you your score.

Day 2
Financial Analysis & Presentation
You will first be presented with some financial statements to fill out and complete (you do not need any accounting knowledge in order to complete this, simply addition, subtraction, mult. and division). Once you complete this they will take the sheet away and you will begin developing an analysis on which of 2 offers to accept for a drycleaning company. One offer is from a larger corporation, the other is from a community corporation. The idea is that you prepare an analysis and present it to a panel who is supposed to be the Board of Directors for the company

Group Analysis
The group analysis is on the same argument, however you must collectively come up with an argument and present to a panel who are again supposed to be board members of a company. Be prepared to receive a large amount of data with only 20 minutes to prepare your argument. Also be prepared to be watched as if you are a lab subject during the preparation phase.

Structured Interview
Standard federal government interview. 4 questions. panel. no response.

Overall the idea is that they have 12 benchmarks they seek from you during these assessments. Be prepared to wait long periods of time during each assessment as well as lots of other unnecessary sessions in between the assessments.

Interview Question – Group Assessment   View Answer

Resolution and Receivership Specialist Interview

Resolution and Receivership Specialist
Jacksonville, FL

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at FDIC in August 2010.

Interview Details – Apply with USAJOBS.gov, resume should include key words within the job posting, describe specific details within your previous work history to include descriptive accomplishment statements based around similar duties of the position you are applying for.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you handled a complex issue and what steps you took to manage the issue and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer based on skills and abilities within salary ranges on the job posting.

Pathways Interview

Pathways
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FDIC in April 2013.

Interview Details – There was an electronic submission for applications via usajobs, Unfortunately, this is controlled by HR. HR is not that helpful. Team you would be working for interviews you panel style.

Interview Question – They asked me to do an in-house writing sample, which is really offensive to a law student who has worked full time during law school.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation-- no health care either!

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Section Chief Interview

Section Chief
Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at FDIC in June 2010.

Interview Details – Completion of an online form, received a phone call. I went in for an interview. The employer was considerate. Interview lasted about an hour. No real hard questions.

Interview Question – Explain a complex situation and how you were able to resolve it.   Answer Question

Financial Institution Specialist Interview

Financial Institution Specialist
Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FDIC in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process consist of spending 3 days in Washington D.C. The first day is set up an introduction and you have to take a reading and writing test. The second day you have 2 presentations and some math problems. They also go over all aspects of the company. The morning of the 3rd day you either get a job offer or you don't.

Interview Question – One of the interview questions was describe a conflict that you faced and how you handled and what was the end result.   Answer Question

Bank Examiner Interview

Bank Examiner
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FDIC in May 2010.

Interview Details – Not complex

Interview Question – Cant remember but you need accounting and finance background to answer some of these questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they will match up to certain amount any offers you may have with other employers.

R&R Specialist Interview

R&R Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at FDIC.

Interview Details – One interview. A standard set of behavioral questions mostly about how you deal with managers and coworkers.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you disagreed with your supervisor and how you managed that process   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I countered and we agreed on a slightly higher amount than they originally offered.

Resolution and Receivership Specialist Interview

Resolution and Receivership Specialist
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at FDIC in January 2010.

Interview Details – Structured interview. 4 questions where you could ask the interviewer repeatedly to repeat the question. Broad questions where you give an example of a tough situation, explain how you resolved it, and the outcome. Typical structured questions by a large org created by a PHD consultant. Not even remotely tailored to the work I actually do.

Interview Question – The questions were the garden variety questions that are professionally written by PHD consultants read by folks who have no clue what you actually do or who to hire. The people who interviewed me didn't even work in my department. Complete blind government boondoggle.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really. structured salary.

Law Clerk Interview

Law Clerk
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at FDIC in November 2011.

Interview Details – Flew to DC to speak with lead team. Sat at round table with 3 of their legal team leaders and they asked about 15 standard questions that are the typical bureaucratic style questions. They wouldn't really engage in questions after or elaborate on the questions they we're asking which we're very mechanical and strict.

Interview Question – Name a time you we're given responsibility for something and you failed   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Student Analyst Interview

Student Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FDIC in March 2013.

Interview Details – Easy interview. Basic behavioral questions and assessment of fit. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Negotiation Details – NA

Interviews for Top Jobs at FDIC

Worked for FDIC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FDIC interview questions and advice. All 51 interview reviews posted anonymously by FDIC employees and interview candidates.