FDM Group

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

2.4

Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FDM Group.

Submitted application online through college recruitment website, had a phone interview, then called on-site for 3 exams and interviews. The recruiters were nice and provided a lot of information about the company and the program. The exams were so easy it was testing basic arithmetic and reading skills. While the offer was very weak, it was at least honest and told you about the negatives straight on.

Interview Questions
    • The one on one interviews were supposed to be a softball (testing your interview skills, not your actual ability), but I intrigued one person too much and asked about financial derivatives.   View Answer

I was obviously overqualified, and the pay is abysmal for the duration you work for them.

Data Analyst Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at FDM Group.

They started off with a phone interview in which they told you a little about the program and asked if you were okay with relocating. They said they would be providing relocation fees if needed and would pay for return visits once every 6 months. Then they scheduled an assessment day where they gave us a detailed presentation about the program. They also made us do a team exercise and gave three 5-minute interviews.

Interview Questions
    N/A. There is a two-year contract plus an unpaid training period.

Applications Support Analyst (Murex) Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FDM Group in January 2015.

4 steps total. Submitted resume and cover letter online. Had follow-up "phone interview" 1 week later. Hardly an interview, just a set of cookie-cutter questions ("What do you know about FDM Group?" "Why are you looking to work in IT?") to screen people to come into the NY office.

Step 3 was in-house with a handful of other applicants. All day interview process, 9:30 - 4:00. Brief PowerPoint explanation of FDM and the roles available. Then 3-part aptitude test (tech & coding, math, and logic). Then lunch. Then a presentation by HR explaining pay, training, etc. Then the applicants split into 2 groups to solve riddles (yes I am serious) in a 'team' setting, while periodically a couple of applicants are taken aside to have one-on-one, 5-minute interviews with different FDM staff members (2-3 interviews). Then a final aptitude test that only people applying to be developers and support analysts have to take, which was basically a combination of the same coding and logic questions seen earlier.

They let you know within 1-2 days whether you are to come in for the final interview, which also takes place at their office, but only for like 30-45 minutes. For me at least, it was less of an interview and more of a "When can you start?" The only true question I had to pass was to explain why I wanted the role and why I was looking to make a change towards IT (pretty much, I had to sell them on why I was "passionate" on IT).

Based on their process and the timeliness of their response, it seems that the aptitude test is far more important than the actual interviews in determining candidacy (PRO TIP: know your coding. Do not just waltz in there; arrays, if-then statements, do-while statements, for statements, etc). Do well on the aptitude test, be professional and be able to sell them on your passion for IT. That's how I would sum it up.

Great company; great people; long but appropriate interview process; NOT enough pay. They lock you in for 2 years at $43,000 Yr 1 & $49,000 Yr 2. Considering most of their positions are in NYC, that's not nearly enough to get by with student loans. Frankly, if I didn't like the guys so much, I would have been insulted when they told me how much they were paying. I guess if you are fresh out of college then the salary may be appropriate; otherwise I'd recommend other opportunities if you have the choice.

Interview Questions
    • "Why FDM?"
      "Why are you leaving your firm?"
      "Why IT?" (the big one)
      "Why this specific role?/What do you know about this role?"
      "Do you have any questions for us?"

If you are applying for a financial IT position be ready to answer business-related questions as well ("If I knew nothing about investing, how would you explain what an 'option' was to me?")

Answer Question

Murex Program Support Stream Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FDM Group in January 2015.

Started off with a phone interview where they just explain what the company does and how the role is set up. After you pass the phone interview you go in to their office in New York for an assessment day. There you take a number of tests like math, set notation, technical stuff. You then have individual interviews that last about 8 min each.

Data/Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at FDM Group.

Applied to the company on a friday night, and as early as Monday morning I got a call from them. The interview was them asking if your okay to do the assessment with them and that the job does require relocating and being in a contract with them.

Interview Questions
    • There is only a 65% chance you will get relocated to any of the tri-states.   Answer Question

Relocation and 2 yr contract

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FDM Group in December 2014.

I applied online because I was interested in the Data analyst position. Got a phone interview withing 2 weeks.They asked a few questions, and were very forthcoming about salary, length of contract, benefits, etc. Then I was invited for the interview and info session in NYC. Overall, they were forward and transparent with the process, never mentioned anything about what would happen if i breached the contract though.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in being a data analyst   View Answer

IT Support Interview

They called me for an interview. After doing so research I noticed that you get locked into a contract for 2 years. You undergo training for a few months which is unpaid, then you get salary depending on when or if you get placed with a client. I asked them about the contract, and they danced around the question somewhat.

Java Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FDM Group.

Very Quick and easy. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. Watch a presentation of the company, take a 2.5 hour assessment test. lunch break. 3 5-minute interviews. And that was the day. Interviewers only ask you behavioral questions to try to get to know you.

Interview Questions
    • Since i was applying as a Java Developer, there were some business/finance question that I was unable to answer, but i think that is fine.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

I expect after an interview to be contacted about a week later not the
    next day the average starting salary for a java developer is 20,000 higher
    I have not gone to the assessment day and will not because it see's way
    to basic for a developer job.

Interview Questions
    • I have not gone to assessment day yet but as I am
      looking for a job as a developer I asked the level of question
      and Its like CS1

Answer Question

Data Analyst Academy Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FDM Group.

I applied online for their academy program which I believe has been renamed as their Graduate Program. I specifically applied for the data analyst program. I received a call about a week later from an employer asking if I may want to change my application towards their IT analyst program due to having some programming experience, but I felt that my programming experience was too elementary to pursue anything in that direction and would like to continue with the data analyst path. She took note of that and instructed me to do some research on the company and the program and that she would call again tomorrow. The next day I was called and asked about my previous experience and what my goals for the future were. She also asked about what I had researched. After the interview she told me I would receive a call in the next few days seeing if I passed. The day after I received a call explaining that I would be able to move on to the assessment stage where I would take assessment tests and go through three interviews at their New York location. We had set up a date for my assessment but after further research into the company and program I decided to withdraw my application. Basically, the program was a two year commitment that might include a lot of travel. Other reviews I researched showed that their compensation was not great and generally advised against going with FDM.