FEMA Interview Questions

Updated Jun 8, 2015

2.6

IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FEMA (Washington, DC).

Interview

I interviewed on the phone because I was out of town. A panel of 3 will conduct the interviews. Once you are offered the job, you must pass a Security check. This could take a while.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions from the application.....More detail as to experience.   1 Answer

Project Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denton, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FEMA (Denton, TX).

Interview

Submitted Resume, Phone Interview where job was explained to me and my questions were answered, Employment Package was sent to me, Including finger print cards and background check, when this was completed I was sent a letter telling me I had been hired.

Individual Assistance (IA) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at FEMA.

Interview

Applied through the USAjob website. Exactly 2 weeks later I received an automatic e-mail that I was referred to the hiring manager for consideration (looking into other jobs, this step has taken much longer). 13 days later I received a call inviting me to participate in a phone interview, which I immediately scheduled for the following week (8 days later). I expected the interview to be with someone who would then refer me to a face-to-face interview (I know several people who have been transported to an interview). However, this was an interview with a panel of 3 people (heads of departments I would be interacting with) and is the only step. They already had their questions identified and were detailed about them. All questions had to do directly with the job description and how my previous experience tied into that. After they finished their questions I was able to ask my own. They then told me I would hear back within the next 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• If you were in this position, how would you communicate with other partners/departments and plan a strategy to move forward?   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at FEMA (New York, NY).

Interview

Thorough. Panel of four experienced professionals. Discussion of emergency management experience and deployments. Collateral duties responsibilities and the training involved. The types of emergency management exposures you will have includes anything that compromises lives, safety and property.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Working for FEMA requires an extensive background check.

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at FEMA in December 2014.

Interview

Got referred form Usajobs. gov for the job.two days later got a call inviting for an in person interview at the C street Offices of FEMA in DC. Got interviewed by three people including one on the phone form the Baltimore office.

General Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at FEMA in October 2014.

Interview

I applied on USA jobs. I was "referred" within 2 weeks. About 1 month after applying I received a phone call setting up an interview one week later. I arrived on site and was escorted to a conference room. There were 3 people interviewing me, 2 engineers and 1 non-technical employee. There were 6 questions:

Would you be a pen or pencil?

How do you deal with stress?

Give me the difference between "this" funding type, and "that" funding type, Pros and cons for each?

If you were deployed to impact area, and had a little time for research, what would you research first?

Interview Questions

• How does mitigation fit into the National Response Framework?   Answer Question

Security Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at FEMA (Washington, DC).

Interview

Received a phone call in December to come in for an interview. Interviewed with two managers and one regular employee. Did not hear back for a couple months and was extended an offer in late March.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very standard. Tell me about yourself, your positives/negatives, how do you handle stress, etc.   Answer Question

Emergency Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anniston, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FEMA (Anniston, AL).

Interview

Interview process was very unconventional but it was also very enjoyable. The whole process took one day about 8 hours. If you get selected for an interview, they fly you to Alabama or wherever to participate in a series of events. First, is the mock drill to test your teamwork and leadership and see how you function in a team, second is a briefing that you have to put together for a panel of 3 people, then you do your skills interview with 2-3 other people, then you do this physical fitness test which is super easy. I rated difficult just because it was different and most people are not use to this kind of high stress and fast paced type of "interview". Personally, I thought it was fun, you could make it fun. Plus, free trip to Alabama!

Interview Questions

• All interview questions were very straight forward; know you stuff   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiate, they will try to lowball you

FCO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at FEMA (Denton, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

The process is relatively easy if you have the credentials. A career in police or fire leadership and an understanding of the ICS program - FEMA's mission and the National Response Framework gets you in the door.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be an FCOTHE I a job that will likely keep you away from your family roughly 3/4 of every year?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FEMA (Little Rock, AR) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online by a state-run job search application, although I could have applied via FEMA's website. I submitted my resume on a Thursday afternoon. A week later, I received a call from an HR manager to set up an interview the following Wednesday (almost three weeks after I applied). I went in and first my with the HR manager who gave me an overview of the position (hours, job title, etc). She then asked me a few general questions about my resume (about my degree and prior experience). Afterwards, I met with the two individuals I would be assisting, if I got the job. They asked me about my prior administrative/clerical experience and then proceeded to tell me about the job and their own duties. At the end of the interview, I was offered the position and accepted. After I accepted, I was fingerprinted and had to fill out a large stack of various federal forms. I was also informed the position pays $14 an hour. **Just so others are aware, I was told it can take up to four weeks to get your initial paycheck.**

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about your prior administrative/clerical experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.