FEMA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Emergency Management Specialist Interview

Emergency Management Specialist
Anniston, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FEMA.

Interview Details – Interview process was very unconventional but it was also very enjoyable. The whole process took one day about 8 hours. If you get selected for an interview, they fly you to Alabama or wherever to participate in a series of events. First, is the mock drill to test your teamwork and leadership and see how you function in a team, second is a briefing that you have to put together for a panel of 3 people, then you do your skills interview with 2-3 other people, then you do this physical fitness test which is super easy. I rated difficult just because it was different and most people are not use to this kind of high stress and fast paced type of "interview". Personally, I thought it was fun, you could make it fun. Plus, free trip to Alabama!

Interview Question – All interview questions were very straight forward; know you stuff   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate, they will try to lowball you

Safety and Occupational Health Specialist Interview

Safety and Occupational Health Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FEMA in February 2009.

Interview Details – Very amicable and not so professional, in an Hotel lobby. One screening interview was conducted first and then a second unexpected interview followed with two persons. Although the job interview setting was unusual, the interviewers were very professional in both appearance and behavior. The hiring process was plagued by unforeseen delays due to the fact that it was carried out thru correspondence and many difficulties I had to overcome to comply with recruitment requirements. Once I completed my end there were further delays on the part of the Human Resources Offices which also affected my chances to attend a much needed orientation and training session.

Negotiation Details – Not required since there is a fixed salary scale.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Little Rock, AR

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FEMA in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online by a state-run job search application, although I could have applied via FEMA's website. I submitted my resume on a Thursday afternoon. A week later, I received a call from an HR manager to set up an interview the following Wednesday (almost three weeks after I applied). I went in and first my with the HR manager who gave me an overview of the position (hours, job title, etc). She then asked me a few general questions about my resume (about my degree and prior experience). Afterwards, I met with the two individuals I would be assisting, if I got the job. They asked me about my prior administrative/clerical experience and then proceeded to tell me about the job and their own duties. At the end of the interview, I was offered the position and accepted. After I accepted, I was fingerprinted and had to fill out a large stack of various federal forms. I was also informed the position pays $14 an hour. **Just so others are aware, I was told it can take up to four weeks to get your initial paycheck.**

Interview Question – Please tell us about your prior administrative/clerical experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase.

Fema Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at FEMA.

Interview Details – I applied online as soon as i heard the job postings were open. a few days after i applied i got a call from a lady telling me to come the next day for an interview early morning. so the next day i showed up to the main building, a security guard walked me to where they were doing the interviews. i walked into a waiting area and waited for my name to be called. when they called my name, two gentleman escorted me into a room with a bunch of cubicles, where i proceeded to have a seat, as did they, and they began to ask me my interview questions. i answered about 6 simple questions and signed a criminal record permissision sheet, and i was on my way. 3 days later i got a call saying i got the job!

Interview Question – explain a situation where you had to make a managerial decision on your own because you manager was not available at the moment and the decision had to be made.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FEMA in March 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview was easy. Basic questions about experiences and what I want from internship. Why I wanted to intern here and how this internship would affect my future in my field. Background test was obviously easy (for me at least).

Interview Question – What do you want from this internship that would help you later on in your expected career path?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Internship is unpaid so there was not much negotiation to be had. However, they were very easy-going on hours and days to work.

Photographer Interview

Photographer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at FEMA.

Interview Details – I applied to be a temporary Local Hire a day or two following a nearby federally declared disaster. 3 months later I finally began work. The greatest delay seemed to be in FEMA's internal communications, as my documents were forwarded 3 or 4 times before getting to the person who called me to schedule an interview, for which I was given one day's notice. The interview was relatively straightforward – they wanted to make sure I was competent at what I was applying to do, and also that I understood how being in a disaster relief situation might require flexibility and change the nature of the work.

Interview Question – I was asked how I planned to relate with sensitivity to disaster victims in a way that made them feel comfortable and listened to, such that they wouldn't feel put on the spot or exploited by my presence. I was also asked about my definition of journalistic integrity, but probably only because I brought it up.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FEMA in September 2010.

Interview Details – I had worked for FEMA previously, so interviewed in person at that time. Basically, they did a background check and made an offer for the DAE position.

Interview Question – They wanted to know my experience in the field.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

Visual Media Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at FEMA in August 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview and background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not available.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for FEMA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FEMA interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by FEMA employees and interview candidates.