FEMA

Updated Nov 15, 2014
Updated Nov 15, 2014

2.4

General Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FEMA in October 2014.

I applied on USA jobs. I was "referred" within 2 weeks. About 1 month after applying I received a phone call setting up an interview one week later. I arrived on site and was escorted to a conference room. There were 3 people interviewing me, 2 engineers and 1 non-technical employee. There were 6 questions:

Would you be a pen or pencil?

How do you deal with stress?

Give me the difference between "this" funding type, and "that" funding type, Pros and cons for each?

If you were deployed to impact area, and had a little time for research, what would you research first?

Interview Questions
    • How does mitigation fit into the National Response Framework?   Answer Question

Security Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at FEMA.

Received a phone call in December to come in for an interview. Interviewed with two managers and one regular employee. Did not hear back for a couple months and was extended an offer in late March.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very standard. Tell me about yourself, your positives/negatives, how do you handle stress, etc.   Answer Question

Emergency Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anniston, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anniston, AL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FEMA.

Interview process was very unconventional but it was also very enjoyable. The whole process took one day about 8 hours. If you get selected for an interview, they fly you to Alabama or wherever to participate in a series of events. First, is the mock drill to test your teamwork and leadership and see how you function in a team, second is a briefing that you have to put together for a panel of 3 people, then you do your skills interview with 2-3 other people, then you do this physical fitness test which is super easy. I rated difficult just because it was different and most people are not use to this kind of high stress and fast paced type of "interview". Personally, I thought it was fun, you could make it fun. Plus, free trip to Alabama!

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions were very straight forward; know you stuff   Answer Question
    Negotiate, they will try to lowball you

FCO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denton, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denton, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at FEMA in January 2014.

The process is relatively easy if you have the credentials. A career in police or fire leadership and an understanding of the ICS program - FEMA's mission and the National Response Framework gets you in the door.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be an FCOTHE I a job that will likely keep you away from your family roughly 3/4 of every year?   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FEMA in July 2013.

I applied online by a state-run job search application, although I could have applied via FEMA's website. I submitted my resume on a Thursday afternoon. A week later, I received a call from an HR manager to set up an interview the following Wednesday (almost three weeks after I applied). I went in and first my with the HR manager who gave me an overview of the position (hours, job title, etc). She then asked me a few general questions about my resume (about my degree and prior experience). Afterwards, I met with the two individuals I would be assisting, if I got the job. They asked me about my prior administrative/clerical experience and then proceeded to tell me about the job and their own duties. At the end of the interview, I was offered the position and accepted. After I accepted, I was fingerprinted and had to fill out a large stack of various federal forms. I was also informed the position pays $14 an hour. **Just so others are aware, I was told it can take up to four weeks to get your initial paycheck.**

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us about your prior administrative/clerical experience.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FEMA in March 2012.

Phone interview was easy. Basic questions about experiences and what I want from internship. Why I wanted to intern here and how this internship would affect my future in my field. Background test was obviously easy (for me at least).

Interview Questions
    • What do you want from this internship that would help you later on in your expected career path?   Answer Question
    Internship is unpaid so there was not much negotiation to be had. However, they were very easy-going on hours and days to work.

Disaster Housing Inspector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FEMA in March 2010.

Hiring is fairly simple. Go to pbdisasterservices@pbworld.com or google PaRR (Partnership for Response and Recovery). Historicaly, these two companies have been the largest contractors for FEMA. There is some question as to whether or not PaRR will maintain its status going forward. Simply register to be an inspector, complete the online modules, pass a background check ... you're ready to go!

The interview process: There is none. Your viability as inspector is based on passing the online modules. The benefit here is that you can retake each module until you pass. This is a fairly tedious process (plan on 12 hours total), but it's worth it.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult aspect of the work occurs just after deployment. You will be flown into a disaster area, briefed on the specifics of the event, then EVENTUALLY deployed to an area, usually close to the city into which you arrived. There can be a bit of a delay here, or occasionally you'll have to drive some distance (50-150 miles), before you actually start inspecting, and earning money. Ultimately, you have some up-front expenses to shoulder (Car Rental, Hotel, Food), but within 5 days of actually starting inspections you receive a "draw" of $1500.   View Answer
    n/a

Safety and Occupational Health Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FEMA in February 2009.

Very amicable and not so professional, in an Hotel lobby. One screening interview was conducted first and then a second unexpected interview followed with two persons. Although the job interview setting was unusual, the interviewers were very professional in both appearance and behavior. The hiring process was plagued by unforeseen delays due to the fact that it was carried out thru correspondence and many difficulties I had to overcome to comply with recruitment requirements. Once I completed my end there were further delays on the part of the Human Resources Offices which also affected my chances to attend a much needed orientation and training session.

Not required since there is a fixed salary scale.

Photographer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FEMA.

I applied to be a temporary Local Hire a day or two following a nearby federally declared disaster. 3 months later I finally began work. The greatest delay seemed to be in FEMA's internal communications, as my documents were forwarded 3 or 4 times before getting to the person who called me to schedule an interview, for which I was given one day's notice. The interview was relatively straightforward – they wanted to make sure I was competent at what I was applying to do, and also that I understood how being in a disaster relief situation might require flexibility and change the nature of the work.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I planned to relate with sensitivity to disaster victims in a way that made them feel comfortable and listened to, such that they wouldn't feel put on the spot or exploited by my presence. I was also asked about my definition of journalistic integrity, but probably only because I brought it up.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at FEMA in September 2010.

I had worked for FEMA previously, so interviewed in person at that time. Basically, they did a background check and made an offer for the DAE position.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted to know my experience in the field.   View Answer
    None