FHI 360 Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2014
Updated Aug 28, 2014

2.9

Program Associate Interview

I was contacted by an HR rep for an initial interview, then asked to meet with 2 interviewers a few days later. I had a second round interview with 2 different people the following week.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you failed to meet expectations. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Business Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FHI 360.

The interview process took me through four separate interviews with different people. The initial experience seemed to go along pretty fluidly; however, after I made it to the final steps for hiring, the HR process became dicey. The HR contact would not return phone calls nor stick to promised dates of getting back to me. Additionally, the people whom I interviewed with never followed up with me after meeting me four separate times. After dragging the entire process out for over two months, they eventually got back to me to let me know they had decided to hire someone else. Never mind the fact that they had stated they had had trouble making contact with my references (which they never did call or reach out to them...I checked back with them) and despite the fact that they led me on a merry chase that ended up nowhere....

Interview Questions
    • What salary range are you expecting for this job?   View Answer

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FHI 360.

Multiple rounds with differnent panels; rather lengthy, but straight forward process. One did did the opportunity to meet not only the hiring manager, but also potential colleagues and manager's boss. Interview questions were not difficult -- fairly clear review of background and experience, based off of one's CV. Emphasis was clearly on whether or not one had the requisite skill set.

Interview Questions
    not much room for negotiation--HR dept handled salary, and made it clear they expected people to fall within a given band and that there was little to no room. Salary was on the very low end of market rate, but the did do a re-assessment and bumped my salary up when they realized the market had changed (after i had beeen on the job for a couple of years)

Program Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at FHI 360.

I only had one interview here and got the job immediately. The people seemed very friendly and outgoing. The interview was a lot easier than I expected. We were laughing ten minutes in and the interview broke down to a very informal, personal conversation. Great interview experience. Felt at home.

Interview Questions
    • To be honest, my entire interview was a blur. I hardly remember now.   Answer Question
    I gave one salary, probably undercut myself, and they went with it. I was completely unaware of the range I was working within.

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FHI 360.

Online application, submission of resume
    Telephone interview with recruiter
    2nd Telephone interview with recruiter
    Face to face interview with hiring manager and some staff

Not difficult. Email of all hiring info sent and phone conversation to discuss after my review.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at FHI 360.

Was contacted by HR and had an initial "screening" interview that lasted about 15 minutes. Then I had a second phone interview that lasted about half hour with a would-be supervisor, who was actually really great. Next had an in-person interview (about an hour), which required traveling to DC. The interview did not go as well as I would have wanted. However, the interviewer still instructed me to provide two writing samples even though she already knew she was not interested in me. I emailed the samples as soon as possible. I also wrote thank you emails after phone interviews and even hand wrote and mailed a thank you note after the in-person interview. Their communication with me stopped after the in-person interview. I thought this was very rude considering they were aware that I took a very taxing trip to DC (on my own buck) to meet with them. I even followed up about a week and half after I submitted my writing samples.

I am sure this organization is doing great work and that everyone is perfectly nice (including HR) but I am not impressed by an organization that cannot take the time and consideration to reject a candidate who went through 3 interviews, sent both email and written thank you notes, and took the time to follow up with you. Had I gone through the first interview and not heard back, I would not even think about it too much, but three interviews at least deserves a one line rejection email. To conclude, although things did not work out with this organization, I know I showed a high level of professionalism throughout the interview process, but I feel the company fell short in their level of professionalism towards me.

Interview Questions
    • How have you shown initiative at your previous work?; also my resume includes some managerial work (in an education nonprofit) and previous experience teaching. This somehow confused the interviewer who was not sure how these related and couldn't understand what I was actually interested in (i.e managerial or technical work). I was questioned about that. Although I answered the question clearly, the way she asked the question did throw me off internally.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FHI 360.

Lengthy and in-depth, the entire process took 2 weeks, I had a phone interview, met with HR, and then met with several members from my center. The background check also took a while to complete. Questions were reasonable and realistic.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest challenge you had to overcome in your last job?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate little to none - HR essentially made a "take it or leave it" offer, with reason that there are strict "bands" for each job and minimal range due to education/experience level

Bio Statistician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online – interviewed at FHI 360 in November 2012.

Initial phone HR interview. 1st On-site interview 15 mins with another HR representative, four 30 minute panels with various scientists and directors followed by a programming and written assessment (untimed but you should "expect" to spend an hour on it). There were multiple people up for the position so some of the interviewers had sheets with the same questions to compare you to others with. They will ask you if you are capable of working with foreign people or people with accents, do not say yes if you are not fully capable because some of the interviewers were difficult to understand.

Interview Questions
    • It was overwhelming to speak to so many people on the same day followed by the assessment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FHI 360 in October 2012.

Hiring process varies depending on importance of position. Coming in at a lower level, I found it very straight-forward. Very positive interaction with recruiter.

Business Development Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at FHI 360 in March 2012.

Panel-type interview. HR is incredibly slow due to background checking process.

Interview Questions
    • How will you convince very accomplished scientists to take your contributions seriously?   View Answer
    The manager wouldn't let me finish my sentence when trying to negotiate a compressed workweek or work from home arrangement, even in lieu of more money. I got more money in the end, but would have preferred the flexible scheduling!