FHI 360

Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.7

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FHI 360 in June 2014.

I was referred by an FHI 360 employee for the Program Officer position after they saw the job posting circulate. I submitted my application and credentials online and the very next morning received a call from a recruiter for the position which served as a preliminary phone interview. The recruiter then asked if I could come in the very next morning for a 1:1 interview. I interviewed with the person who's position I was applying for (they were being promoted). This interview was basic - it discussed my work experience, interests, academic background, etc. I was asked to complete a scenario test that would be emailed to me and due the next morning. Immediately after the interview I was asked to return for an interview the next day with the hiring managers. The interview with the hiring managers - one who would be my supervisor and the other with whom I would be working closely, was very thorough. It built on the basic interview I had the previous day and went further into detail about the position's demands, responsibilities and expectations. I answered questions that focused in-depth on relevant work experience and as well as work-ethic/personality questions. The hiring managers were direct, open to questions, and personable. Immediately after, I was asked for three references and three business days later I received an offer from my recruiter via phone call. I countered the salary offer. It took two weeks to receive a response to which my counter was rejected. I accepted the offer and my first day was two weeks later.

Other Interview Reviews for FHI 360

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at FHI 360.

Was contacted by HR and had an initial "screening" interview that lasted about 15 minutes. Then I had a second phone interview that lasted about half hour with a would-be supervisor, who was actually really great. Next had an in-person interview (about an hour), which required traveling to DC. The interview did not go as well as I would have wanted. However, the interviewer still instructed me to provide two writing samples even though she already knew she was not interested in me. I emailed the samples as soon as possible. I also wrote thank you emails after phone interviews and even hand wrote and mailed a thank you note after the in-person interview. Their communication with me stopped after the in-person interview. I thought this was very rude considering they were aware that I took a very taxing trip to DC (on my own buck) to meet with them. I even followed up about a week and half after I submitted my writing samples.

I am sure this organization is doing great work and that everyone is perfectly nice (including HR) but I am not impressed by an organization that cannot take the time and consideration to reject a candidate who went through 3 interviews, sent both email and written thank you notes, and took the time to follow up with you. Had I gone through the first interview and not heard back, I would not even think about it too much, but three interviews at least deserves a one line rejection email. To conclude, although things did not work out with this organization, I know I showed a high level of professionalism throughout the interview process, but I feel the company fell short in their level of professionalism towards me.

Interview Questions
    • How have you shown initiative at your previous work?; also my resume includes some managerial work (in an education nonprofit) and previous experience teaching. This somehow confused the interviewer who was not sure how these related and couldn't understand what I was actually interested in (i.e managerial or technical work). I was questioned about that. Although I answered the question clearly, the way she asked the question did throw me off internally.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FHI 360.

Lengthy and in-depth, the entire process took 2 weeks, I had a phone interview, met with HR, and then met with several members from my center. The background check also took a while to complete. Questions were reasonable and realistic.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest challenge you had to overcome in your last job?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate little to none - HR essentially made a "take it or leave it" offer, with reason that there are strict "bands" for each job and minimal range due to education/experience level

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FHI 360 in October 2012.

Hiring process varies depending on importance of position. Coming in at a lower level, I found it very straight-forward. Very positive interaction with recruiter.