FICO Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

3.1

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at FICO (San Diego, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

Process moved along quickly; I was able to speak with a variety of people and was impressed with nearly all of them. However, HR/recruiting was disorganized. They quibbled back and forth via email (copying me, the candidate!) about which expense form to fill out after I flew up there; they made an offer and then rescinded it because some VIP wanted to interview me as well, and they were 100% unwilling to negotiate, even on the easy (non-monetary) stuff.

Interview Questions

• What do you see as the role of a product manager?   Answer Question
    • Give me some examples of what you see as emerging credit trends.   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FICO (San Diego, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

An HR asked me to fill out a supplemental form after I applied on their website, consisted mostly of basic questions but also asked for specific experience with optimization and statistics. Two phone interviews asked mostly technical questions but also some on my past internships then I was invited back for a group/panel interview where they asked more business related technical questions regarding credit card frauds.

Interview Questions

• What to do with large database with missing values?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at FICO (San Diego, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

The phone screen took approximately 30 minutes. The onsite interview about 4 hours. FICO has a mix of both young/old engineers. Some of the old engineers seem to be more interested in grilling candidates just for the sake of it. The people seem to be very nice but not happy overall with the type of work they're doing. It appears that FICO is restricting how people get their work done. Overall morale seemed fairly low.

Lead Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FICO (San Jose, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Phone interview followed by presentation and evaluation on site. Paid expenses, very positive experience in general

Scientist I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FICO (San Diego, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

I spoke with the hiring manager on the phone and then with another manager. The phone interviews were very technical.

Then they brought me on site where I had a panel interview with 3 persons. The panel interview was stressful -- they asked many questions (behavioral, IQ-test type, balancing workload etc.) and seemed to be taking notes. I liked the people who interviewed me -- they were experienced and professional. The interview seemed rather short though.

They were not very clear on advancement opportunities but with the job market being as bad as it has been, they probably don't need to.

Interview Questions

Got a better package somewhere else

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at FICO (San Diego, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

Good....

Lead Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at FICO (Chicago, IL) in January 2008.

Interview

Initially with hiring manager and once through that, several onsite interviews with potential team members and managers. When I went through the process, it followed more of a consuting and business case approach, but now I think they are just looking for good coders.

Interview Questions

• Your client is a big box hardware client that is looking to increase revenue. How would you approch this problem?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate salary up 5k

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at FICO (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2008.

Interview

Long interview process involving HR recruiter and application, then hiring manager, their boss, and interviews with various team members. It was very professionally conducted throughout, although the follow up between interviews was intermittent due to ongoing job demands on their side.

Interview Questions

• Are you sure you want to do this?...it's tough to work here.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Simple...I had factual salary information for my experience and the market and laid it out. They accepted my offer which was 14% higher than initially offered.

Scientist I Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at FICO in December 2007.

Interview

There are two rounds. First one was campus interview with a HR person. Basically it was just questions about the resume, and an open-end statistical problem. The second round was on-site. There are four 1-1 interviews, with technic leads, and managers. There was not any difficult technical questions, just some behavial problems, and a very straight-forward analytic test. People were nice.

Interview Questions

• how to estimate average salary for men and women in some state without using any census data, under a certain budget.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at FICO (San Diego, CA) in June 2007.

Interview

Interview process usually will entail lunch on their campus. The people there are nice and the work interesting. The presentations will take place in front of oh 25 people. Questions range from technical to broad.