FJA-US

4 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Java Developer Interview

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FJA-US in April 2013.

Interview Details – I went through their hiring process including a test and two hour technical interview. The following day they indicated that they wanted to hire me and were finalizing an offer.I had stated my salary requirement up front and In negotiating salary, my minimum number was $183.33/month more than the offer they wanted to make; however, I already had an offer at the number and I indicated that I understood if this was a problem for them..

After a almost a week, during which the hire-resources recruiter claimed that FJA was revising their offer, the recruiter told me that a "managing director wanted to talk to me." I asked what it was about and the recruiter (hire-resources.com) stated that he did not know. I agreed to the call.

When someone who identified himself as a "managing director" called me, he was 10 minutes late. He proceeded to tell me that he needed a minute to find my resume. Then he proceeded to tell me that he had not read my resume and without hesitation, told me to tell him about what I had been doing, highlights in my career, give him an overview of my technology skills and qualifications, likes, dislikes, "and et cetera"

I indicated that this was a fairly broad question and I asked if there were particular areas he wanted to know first. His response was "what do you think I want to know? tell me what you did at your last job and what you have been doing since."

Aside from the fact that this person was extremely abrasive, late in calling and completely unfamiliar with me as a perspective employee, the thing that made this truly remarkable was that I had indicated that I was fine with taking the other position and the only reason I had delayed in doing so was that I was willing to wait a little longer since the position at FJA appeared more interesting and challenging.

The bottom line is that hire-resources misrepresented this firm as being interested in highly skilled employees when they are more so a purely numbers driven organization (the glass door average salaries give an idea as to how much so), and that not only are they pretty disorganized but they do not consistently operate in a professional fashion when seeking FTEs.

This company should be avoided.

Interview Question – "I haven't read your resume, tell him about what you have been doing, highlights in my career, give him an overview of my technology skills and qualifications   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Subsequent to the actual interview process, the managing director I spoke to was extremely rude and unprofessional. I was actually very glad to speak to him as I was ready to take the position if they adjusted the offer and working at this company clearly would have been a mistake. I was lucky and managed to learn this in advance. Others may not be so lucky.

They conclusively showed that the $183.33/month difference in salary was far more important and significant to them than either the quality of the candidate or whether someone would want to work their long term.

EMF Developer Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at FJA-US.

Interview Details – A third party recruiter struck the deal between the employer and I to go and interview here. There is no cost associated for a recruiter to throw some buzzwords into linkedin, load your profile, call you and tell you to go for an interview.

This company required that any candidate pass their online test, which any half decent computer science graduate can ace in about half an hour. The recruiter then said I must be one of the 'super star' candidates and since I had passed the technical screen, they would really like to interview me.

The company saw some buzzwords that matched what they were looking for, and since there is no cost they have to pay to cycle candidates through their doors around christmas time (when their clients are slowing down), I was in.

I was greeted promptly, asked to fill out an application form with questions like:

Are you willing to travel?
Will you be available to do overtime?

What do they think any person under the sun will answer?

I spent about 3 hours talking to two gentlemen and one over the phone. They were mostly interested in discussing some of my experience and application of the technologies listed on my resume. I answered everything in detail and didn't stumble to the best of my knowledge. Java based technologies like maven, spring, EMF, Eclipse, OSGi were discussed.

Suddenly in the middle, I was asked where I had used something that wasn't on my resume - Eclipse plugin development, SWT, JFace. It was related, but nothing I had claimed I knew, and they were shocked. I didn't claim I knew it. At that time I felt that the job description was not in line with what they actually wanted.

The feedback given to me indicated that I practically lied on my resume and that my resume didn't add up to who I was. That's when I realized for the umpteenth time: deal with a principal recruiter. He or She can neither afford to waste the company's time, nor are they interested in exploring if you just may be a fit.

Interview Question – So where did you develop Eclipse plugins?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FJA-US in April 2012.

Interview Details – First there was pre select round in April. To be precise 1st week of april. This round was taken by Hiring manager and HR. General behavioral Questions and some questions on Java.

I got call for onsite interview schedule in first week of May. When i entered the office the HR person asked me to wait in a room. Asked me to fill out for, general Questions about experience and salary expectations. No one offered ever a glass of water. Then in the same room 2 senior software developers entered.

They first asked me questions based on my resume, then technical questions on Java. About struts framework as the position required knowledge on it. Then a programming exercise on they Laptop which required me to implement stack using Arrays.

The interview went good and lasted for and hour. They told me they would let me know in a week through their HR.

Now its almost a month and I still haven't received any feedback on the interview. I have mailed them 3 times in last one month, spoke once with the HR about the status.

Now its irritating to call then and ask. I dont even feel like working for this company even if they offer me a JOB.

Disgusting experience!!!!

Yesterday I called HR again, she says that you haven't received my mail, I said to myself how will i receive when u haven't yet send me :)
Anyways they got someone working for them at lesser salary and so they were holding me till now is what i think..

Interview Question – to implement stack using array   View Answer

Java Developer Interview

Denver, CO

The process took 4 days - interviewed at FJA-US in January 2011.

Interview Details – Surprisingly difficult to email the HR department, and when I got a message back from them (2 days later), I could only tell it was fja by the sender's email address. The HR person said I would get a call for screening, and they would call back for an office interview within a week. Not knowing the screening call was a technical interview, I didn't do very well...

Interview Questions

• Arrays vs. ArrayLists   View Answer
  • Describe Java trees, and why balancing them is important.   View Answer
  • What is inheritance, polymorphism, encapsulation   View Answer
  • What is hashing, Big O notation, and what is the Big O notation of a hash structure vs. a tree structure.   View Answer
  • overriding vs. overloading, Interface vs. Abstract, .equals() vs. ==, static vs. final   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for FJA-US? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FJA-US interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by FJA-US employees and interview candidates.