FM Global

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at FM Global

Interview Details – 1st Interview - Phone interview. Basic get-to-know-you questions. Asked about degree and prior experience.

2nd Interview - Phone Interview. Asked more situational workplace questions. Hypothetical scenarios and how you would react etc. Personal experience questions.

3rd interview - Full day in-house interview. Multiple rounds with different managers. 10-15 minute presentation on relevant topic of your choice.

Interview Question – Describe a situation at work where something did not go right and you took responsibility for it. How did that work out?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Interviewed at FM Global

Interview Question – Why do you feel you would be the right fit for this position, and why is this position the best fit for you?   Answer Question

Consultant Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FM Global.

Interview Details – Landed interview from school career fair, very casual and informal for first interview, there was an emphasis concerning risk recognition. The typical STAR category questions were asked. Received offer for a second interview, but accepted another job.

Interview Question – How have you handled unruly employees or co-workers?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FM Global in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email to attend an online information session about the company. I thought that they invited to info session only those that they were going to interview but NOT, which I have no idea about why you would want someone to listen about your company if you are not going to employ them in the first place?...

Anyways, I did get an email from them eventually about a week after the info session asking me to schedule a phone interview with them to which I wrote back how they would want me to prepare and did not hear anything until I wrote them again on the day of the interview. I was told they would just talk about my work history etc.

Interview: Seven minutes over and I still did not get a call..eventually I called the number and left a voicemail. Finally the manager calls back and apologizes but was casual about it??

We start talking and he asks me to describe what I thought the company and the position was?

Goes on to add some more and wants me to start talking about my work history. Throughout the interview I felt like THEY ALREADY KINDA KNOW WHO THEY WANT AND NOT...interview is just a formality which is sad. Part of it is also the fact that because the position is entry-level, they expect all the people to understand that they will be treated like they are Entry-level..I can't tell you how much he stressed it during the info session and reaffirmed it during the interview. Like someone else said, these people have not left the company for years...and have made themselves to believe that is the only place to be...any seemingly new path to them seems scary and they don't want to hire you if you do not agree with that mindset.

Example- He told me in the interview that it is a dialogue and very informal and I can ask questions anytime. But he did not give me a chance and neither did I ask...but when he was done, I asked him how he got introduced to the company etc..and then I asked him what did he like the most about the role to which he said the ability to manage and develop the people under him.

To the worst thing about working there, he said wish he had less stress and more time at hand. Told me that I asked him tough questions but I told him that you said it was dialogue plus I am game if you want.

He just laughed and said will be in touch, only to receive an email saying I was not selected.

Consultant Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FM Global.

Interview Details – I first interviewed with FM Global on campus. They made sure they made it clear that everyone be highly prepared in all aspects. The first interview consisted of an essay to write about my characteristics as well as a 45 minute interview. It was standard...behavioral questions and a few about my resume. Three weeks later I was invited to the second interview in Atlanta. The managers were very laid back and it didn't feel like an interview at all. They ask a few behavioral questions but also inform you of what you would be doing Lunch was awesome. I also had to write another short essay. Overall, it is a very good experience. I received and accepted an offer a week after the second interview.

Interview Question – Unexpected = What motivates you? Difficult = Describe a situation at work where something did not go right and you took responsibility for it. How did that work out?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. They offered really close to what I initially asked for.

Parsippany, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at FM Global in November 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was 3 stages -- phone, lunch, on-site (all-day)
Interviewers are highly technical, not your standard HR screeners.
All were very personable. Be prepared with questions, as all your interviewers will be on-point with time. You will also be asked to prepare a presentation. Make sure you're the expert on that topic as they'll ask questions. The all-day interview is a bit exhausting. The turn around for hearing back is FAST.

Interview Question – Was given a calculator to determine how fast a turbine engine was spinning (converting from rpm to mph)   Answer Question

Interviewed at FM Global

Interview Details – Applied online via the university's career website. Heard a reply asking to schedule an interview using the career website. Attended a required information session the day before the on campus interview. Had the interview the next day with both speakers from the information session. They did not give an expected response time and it has been 2 weeks and I have not heard from them.

Interview Question – No technical questions. Hardest question was probably why you are a good fit for this job and why you want this job. It's a work at home position so they want to make sure that it is something that you want, not just that your qualified. Other questions about teamwork and basic information about yourself.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at FM Global in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online after learning of the position through university job board. In total the interview process was quite long, mostly due to the importance they placed on finding not just qualified candidates but ones that fit the position and company well, which I appreciated. They were very prompt following up with things, much more so than any other company I've encountered.

I had a phone, on-campus, and in-office interviews with the same manager, followed by a full day of in-office interviews with 6 different managers including an informal lunch. All the managers were very friendly and made the process quite enjoyable. Most questions were typical behavioral ones or about my resume/experience, we also discussed willingness to travel and what the job entailed. They also had me take a personality test, a (hand)written essay test, and give a 10-15 minute technical presentation. Definitely the most extensive interview process I've gone through but also the most enjoyable. They are very involved in finding the right people for the job and as a result I could see they really value their engineers.

Interview Questions

• What did you do to prepare for this interview?   Answer Question
  • Tell me a situation in which you had a conflict with a team member or supervisor and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
  • Convince me why you are right for this position and why I should hire you.   Answer Question

Consultant Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at FM Global in April 2013.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume and cover letter online. Was contacted by email about the position I applied for. Set up a phone interview. Phone interview was short.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected all behavioral. 3 questions I remember.
1. Tell em about your previous work listed on your resume.
2. Why do you think you would be good for this job.
3. How did you get into engineering.
  Answer Question

Consultant Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FM Global in April 2013.

Interview Details – Did the phone interview and then got selected to do campus interview. Then got selected for in office interview. Need to write this so I can get access and read other people's interview question.

Interview Question – Name one time you had a conflict with a coworker and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at FM Global

Worked for FM Global? Contribute to the Community!