FM Global Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014
Updated Sep 23, 2014

2.7

Consulting Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at FM Global in September 2014.

Got the interview from on campus recruiting, after the first interview they contacted me for a phone interview but declined because I had a really good offer from a oil company. I thought the interview was a great person and liked the work he did, I remember asking him "what don't you like about FM Global ?" to which he replied he does not like the pay and wishes the company would pay more.

Interview Questions
    • Not much behavioral just asked me about my past internship experience. One question I remember the interviewer asking is "What do you like to do outside of work?"   Answer Question

Better offer

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at FM Global.

I first met this company through a school career fair. Two people came, one was a recent graduate of my school the other was the recruiter. Both helped describe the position very well and actually made it seem like they wanted me. I had an on campus interview the next day which was more like a screening with very basic questions. I got called in for an on site interview which was a bit tougher. I got interviewed by three individuals who all asked behavioral questions and questions about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time in which you had to be relatively quick in coming to a decision.   Answer Question

Consultant Engineer Interview

1st Interview - Phone interview. Basic get-to-know-you questions. Asked about degree and prior experience.

2nd Interview - Phone Interview. Asked more situational workplace questions. Hypothetical scenarios and how you would react etc. Personal experience questions.

3rd interview - Full day in-house interview. Multiple rounds with different managers. 10-15 minute presentation on relevant topic of your choice.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation at work where something did not go right and you took responsibility for it. How did that work out?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through other source - interviewed at FM Global in April 2014.

HR Manager left message to call back to schedule phone interview. Phone interview scheduled for following day. Candidates from 1st phone screening interview will be reviewed, those selected with have a 2nd interview via video conference. Those selected from this stage will have an in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic phone screen interview, general background and skills questions. What are your salary expectations?   Answer Question

Consultant Engineer Interview

Interview Questions
    • Why do you feel you would be the right fit for this position, and why is this position the best fit for you?   Answer Question

Consultant Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FM Global.

Applied through my school's career website and was chosen for an on-campus interview. The interview was very casual and the interviewer didn't ask any questions outside of basic things like availability. At the end of the interview, the interviewer seemed positive and asked me to send him a copy of my transcript.

Approximately one week later, I was contacted by email informing me that candidates for a second-round interview would contacted by phone. I never heard anything beyond that.

Interview Questions
    • Within the field of chemical engineering, what kind of chemical engineer would you want to be (process, control, project, etc.)?   Answer Question

Engineer Intern Interview

I met with FM Global representatives at a university career fair based on my qualifications was asked to meet two of the company representatives for dinner that same night with the rest of the interested candidates. The dinner was a nice way to get the general questions out of the way before the actual interviews. One of the representatives was an HR lady and the other was an engineer and manager of the internship program. The next morning I had my interview which took about an hour (1/2 hr with the intern manager followed by 1/2 hr with the HR lady). I hit it off with both interviewers and was called a few days later to schedule an interview with some of the office manager at their regional office. I was asked questions about where I see myself in five years and why I want to work for FM Global. Most of the interview was me talking about my qualifications and the student organizations with which I am involved. Again I hit it off with both interviewers. Then I answered behavioral questions on a computer program before being taken to lunch by the interviewers. After lunch I asked the intern manager when I could expect to hear about a decision on the position and he said early the next week. I, unfortunately, never heard from the company again except when I received a check in the mail for the miles I had driven for my interview. Very disappointing from such a large company.

Interview Questions
    • As a civil engineering student I was competing for the position against chemical engineers (which are more desirable in the field). I was asked what a civil engineer could provide the company that couldn't be provided by a chemical engineer.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person - interviewed at FM Global in March 2014.

I interviewed with the Chicago office. You begin with a phone interview, 45 minutes or so. If they like you you'll get called in for an all day interview process. This involves 4 interviews with managers and a representative from HR. You answer the typical behavioral questions, but it is a pretty relaxed interview style, in my opinion. You have lunch with someone that works as a Field Engineer at that office and can ask them anything you like. Sometime during the day you will take a personality survey and perform a writing sample. Lastly, you give a short presentation on anything that you want to everyone you interviewed with that day, as well as the head of the Chicago office.

Interview Questions
    • Something along the lines of: What is your typical way of dealing with conflict? Give me an example.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FM Global in February 2014.

First on campus interview was very laid back and informal. Intended to get to know you and fill you in on the company. Second Round interview was about 2 weeks later in Atlanta and was a little more intense. Spent the day at their office talking and getting interviewed by different people. Very general behavioral questions. Had to do a writing prompt to test for communication and literary skills. Got taken to an awesome lunch. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time that you were required to make a quick decision without receiving full information.   Answer Question

Consultant Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at FM Global.

Landed interview from school career fair, very casual and informal for first interview, there was an emphasis concerning risk recognition. The typical STAR category questions were asked. Received offer for a second interview, but accepted another job.

Interview Questions

Worked for FM Global? Contribute to the Community!