FM Global Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.7

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at FM Global (Bellevue, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

HR Manager left message to call back to schedule phone interview. Phone interview scheduled for following day. Candidates from 1st phone screening interview will be reviewed, those selected with have a 2nd interview via video conference. Those selected from this stage will have an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Very basic phone screen interview, general background and skills questions. What are your salary expectations?   Answer Question

Consultant Engineer Interview

Interview

1st Interview - Phone interview. Basic get-to-know-you questions. Asked about degree and prior experience.

2nd Interview - Phone Interview. Asked more situational workplace questions. Hypothetical scenarios and how you would react etc. Personal experience questions.

3rd interview - Full day in-house interview. Multiple rounds with different managers. 10-15 minute presentation on relevant topic of your choice.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel you would be the right fit for this position, and why is this position the best fit for you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FM Global.

Interview

Applied through my school's career website and was chosen for an on-campus interview. The interview was very casual and the interviewer didn't ask any questions outside of basic things like availability. At the end of the interview, the interviewer seemed positive and asked me to send him a copy of my transcript.

Approximately one week later, I was contacted by email informing me that candidates for a second-round interview would contacted by phone. I never heard anything beyond that.

Interview Questions

• Within the field of chemical engineering, what kind of chemical engineer would you want to be (process, control, project, etc.)?   Answer Question

Engineer Intern Interview

Application

Interview

I met with FM Global representatives at a university career fair based on my qualifications was asked to meet two of the company representatives for dinner that same night with the rest of the interested candidates. The dinner was a nice way to get the general questions out of the way before the actual interviews. One of the representatives was an HR lady and the other was an engineer and manager of the internship program. The next morning I had my interview which took about an hour (1/2 hr with the intern manager followed by 1/2 hr with the HR lady). I hit it off with both interviewers and was called a few days later to schedule an interview with some of the office manager at their regional office. I was asked questions about where I see myself in five years and why I want to work for FM Global. Most of the interview was me talking about my qualifications and the student organizations with which I am involved. Again I hit it off with both interviewers. Then I answered behavioral questions on a computer program before being taken to lunch by the interviewers. After lunch I asked the intern manager when I could expect to hear about a decision on the position and he said early the next week. I, unfortunately, never heard from the company again except when I received a check in the mail for the miles I had driven for my interview. Very disappointing from such a large company.

Interview Questions

• As a civil engineering student I was competing for the position against chemical engineers (which are more desirable in the field). I was asked what a civil engineer could provide the company that couldn't be provided by a chemical engineer.   1 Answer

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at FM Global (Chicago, IL) in March 2014.

Interview

I interviewed with the Chicago office. You begin with a phone interview, 45 minutes or so. If they like you you'll get called in for an all day interview process. This involves 4 interviews with managers and a representative from HR. You answer the typical behavioral questions, but it is a pretty relaxed interview style, in my opinion. You have lunch with someone that works as a Field Engineer at that office and can ask them anything you like. Sometime during the day you will take a personality survey and perform a writing sample. Lastly, you give a short presentation on anything that you want to everyone you interviewed with that day, as well as the head of the Chicago office.

Interview Questions

• Something along the lines of: What is your typical way of dealing with conflict? Give me an example.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FM Global (Atlanta, GA) in February 2014.

Interview

First on campus interview was very laid back and informal. Intended to get to know you and fill you in on the company. Second Round interview was about 2 weeks later in Atlanta and was a little more intense. Spent the day at their office talking and getting interviewed by different people. Very general behavioral questions. Had to do a writing prompt to test for communication and literary skills. Got taken to an awesome lunch. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time that you were required to make a quick decision without receiving full information.   Answer Question

Consultant Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FM Global.

Interview

Landed interview from school career fair, very casual and informal for first interview, there was an emphasis concerning risk recognition. The typical STAR category questions were asked. Received offer for a second interview, but accepted another job.

PeopleSoft Developer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FM Global.

Interview

Mine was internal. Met with the manager, then a small group interview.

Interview Questions

• It was over 10 years ago so I don't think it's relevant now.   Answer Question

Consultant Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FM Global.

Interview

I first interviewed with FM Global on campus. They made sure they made it clear that everyone be highly prepared in all aspects. The first interview consisted of an essay to write about my characteristics as well as a 45 minute interview. It was standard...behavioral questions and a few about my resume. Three weeks later I was invited to the second interview in Atlanta. The managers were very laid back and it didn't feel like an interview at all. They ask a few behavioral questions but also inform you of what you would be doing Lunch was awesome. I also had to write another short essay. Overall, it is a very good experience. I received and accepted an offer a week after the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected = What motivates you? Difficult = Describe a situation at work where something did not go right and you took responsibility for it. How did that work out?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. They offered really close to what I initially asked for.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FM Global (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online and received an email to attend an online information session about the company. I thought that they invited to info session only those that they were going to interview but NOT, which I have no idea about why you would want someone to listen about your company if you are not going to employ them in the first place?...

Anyways, I did get an email from them eventually about a week after the info session asking me to schedule a phone interview with them to which I wrote back how they would want me to prepare and did not hear anything until I wrote them again on the day of the interview. I was told they would just talk about my work history etc.

Interview: Seven minutes over and I still did not get a call..eventually I called the number and left a voicemail. Finally the manager calls back and apologizes but was casual about it??

We start talking and he asks me to describe what I thought the company and the position was?

Goes on to add some more and wants me to start talking about my work history. Throughout the interview I felt like THEY ALREADY KINDA KNOW WHO THEY WANT AND NOT...interview is just a formality which is sad. Part of it is also the fact that because the position is entry-level, they expect all the people to understand that they will be treated like they are Entry-level..I can't tell you how much he stressed it during the info session and reaffirmed it during the interview. Like someone else said, these people have not left the company for years...and have made themselves to believe that is the only place to be...any seemingly new path to them seems scary and they don't want to hire you if you do not agree with that mindset.

Example- He told me in the interview that it is a dialogue and very informal and I can ask questions anytime. But he did not give me a chance and neither did I ask...but when he was done, I asked him how he got introduced to the company etc..and then I asked him what did he like the most about the role to which he said the ability to manage and develop the people under him.

To the worst thing about working there, he said wish he had less stress and more time at hand. Told me that I asked him tough questions but I told him that you said it was dialogue plus I am game if you want.

He just laughed and said will be in touch, only to receive an email saying I was not selected.