FSG Interview Questions

Updated Jul 12, 2015

3.2

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FSG (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I interviewed at FSG for an Administrative Assistant position. I was misled by an outside recruiter for the position. The outside recruiter said the position was for an Executive Assistant with my project management skills. The outside recruiter also misled me about other details of the position and my interview schedule. I found out the position was a low level admin role during the interview process. I am overqualified for the role with over ten years of office administration experience. The outside recruiter’s misinformation led to a very uncomfortable interview experience.  I understand that the outside recruiter was to blame, but the FSG staff did not and was unprofessional in response. At the start of my last interview, the FSG recruiter rudely, informed me that when I was done, I knew where the door was and to leave. Sadly, this unprofessional behavior and rude tone of voice is what I will always associate with this company.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write responses to emails from my supervisor that didn't include pertinent information during the Case Interview.   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FSG (New York, NY).

Interview

4 rounds of interviews for the Mumbai Office - 1 phone screen (I'm based in the US) - Case + fit - 1 Skype - Case + fit - In-person in DC (2 interviews: 1 case, 1 fit) - Final meeting with Partner (fit + presentation) All cases are development or non-profit focused

Interview Questions

• Why I'd like to work at FSG beyond impact potential   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FSG (Boston, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

First there was a phone interview, 10-15 minutes with prepared questions. Several days later, I was asked to go into the office to interview in person. It was very involved. I first had an experience interview, then a lunch interview with another person, then a case interview over Skype, and finally a second experience interview. This was all in one day, and while it was well scheduled, it was a bit overwhelming for me.

Interview Questions

• We expect the best from our employees, what makes you want to work her?   1 Answer

Account Expediter Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FSG in July 2010.

Interview

It is a good old boy type of system. It is not what you know it is who you know.

Interview Questions

• Not at all difficult. Basic questions as my resume was reviewed. Very easy   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FSG.

Interview

Pretty standard set of 3 interviews, culminating in a "super" day where you meet with multiple (4-5) employees in succession. FSG does a decent job of imitating best in practice consulting firms in establishing clear recruiting processes like standardized review criteria, set timelines, and clear communication. However, there is a lot of repetition in the questions asked (mostly behavioral) and the 1-3 case questions you will do (usually on the 2nd and 3rd interviews) are pretty mickey mouse in difficulty. If you prep well for a mgmt consulting interview, you should do well.

Interview Questions

• the cases by nature are opaque and lack clear solutions, however, they are very manageable and depend most on an ability to formulate new ideas of potential strategies based on a limited amount on information   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FSG in October 2011.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter through a friend who works at FSG. He forwarded my application materials to the HR department, who got in touch with me a week later to tell me to also submit my application online. There was some mix-up with my online application being recognized by the system and HR, I don't remember the details but I had to email back and forth with both the webmaster/IT department and HR to get it straightened out. Once they had my application in the system, I was offered a phone interview within a week. My phone interview was with a Consultant in the branch office to which I was applying. It was a pretty standard 45 minute get-to-know-you phone interview, with one very broad case scenario given to me at the end of the interview. I was asked to walk the Consultant through my resume and highlight the important skills I had and how they were relevant to consulting (I did not have actual consulting experience, but similar types of work experience). The woman who interviewed me was articulate, intelligent, and friendly enough. I thought I did OK, but didn't knock it out of the park. Within 3 days I received an email from someone in a different branch office that they wanted to set up an in-person interview with me, where I would also do a case study assignment. The email made it sound like they wanted to do this interview as soon as possible, within a week or so, but it took weeks to actually set up (and my schedule was pretty wide open). The interview itself was with two people- one standard interview with a Program Assistant or something of that nature (I can't remember the actual titles now), and then a case study which I would review with a Director. The standard interview went well, I would say it was a very easy, friendly interview. I did bring up the fact that I had some concerns about the amount of travel involved, and I was anxious about it because I have two small children. I know that is an interview no-no, but I like to lay my cards on the table, and also I was trying to get a sense of how family-friendly FSG actually is. Everyone I spoke with claimed that there is some flexibilty for parents of young children, but no one could give me any concrete details about how they are flexible. Could I request projects with less international travel? Could I work from home? They offered to put me in touch with a consultant with family, and I accepted. I thought the case study was challenging, but not impossible. I think I did a fair job. Again, a few days after my interview, I was contacted by someone in a remote office to set up yet another in-person interview. I emailed them with my availability, and did not hear back from them for 2 weeks. When I finally did hear from them, it was to tell me that they decided not to offer me a job. They said that while my background was impressive, it did not meet the needs of the organization. I believe that my family situation might have been a big part of the problem. I do not fault FSG for that- it seems like an intense place to work with small children at home, and I know they can't say that outright without getting into legal trouble. I do not think I was ready to work there, because of the long hours and travel involved. I did get a sense of the organization and I think if it weren't for that issue I would like to work there- smart, capable people who believe in what they are doing and seem to make a difference in the world. I may reapply in the future, because I think I would like to work there and under different circumstances they might hire me.

Interview Questions

• When you have advised an individual or organization, how did they follow up on your advice? What influence did you have on their behavior?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FSG in March 2010.

Interview

The two telephone interviews were quite relaxed. They appeared to be looking for someone with quantitative skills, excel questions were quite elaborate.