FTI Consulting Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Feb 21, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Interviewed through university. Went through only 2 rounds of interviews, the first just being a half hour, the second round consisting of a few in a row with a longer duration of time for each. All very laid back and really focusing on who you are as a person it seemed.

Interview Questions

• None were terrible, all straight forward interview questions that you would expect - why do you want to work here, etc.   Answer Question

Consultant (Restructuring Group) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by the Restructuring team while at school by phone without having applied to the job. They invited me to dinner, having found my resume on my college Career Center's website. At dinner we had the opportunity to meet some of the members of the Restructuring team, hear a little bit about the work, and begin to forge relationships with the group. After the dinner, I officially applied for the position through the Career Center's website at my University. I was then contacted shortly after asking me to interview on campus. The interview was very calm and natural, essentially walk me through your resume, but also asking two standard financial statement questions (If AP goes down, what happens to cash? If depreciation decreases, what happens to EBIT?) Shortly after the interview I was contacted again by the company asking me to come in for an office visit, with three other applicants. They took us out for dinner in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet with and learn about some members of the Restructuring group and what work they do. After that there was a social with all FTI applicants across all departments of FTI where there was additional opportunity to meet FTI employees and learn about the company and its culture. The next morning was the office visit. It began with a presentation about the firm. After that were three interviews with different members of the Restructuring team. These again were essentially behavioral interviews with one or two basic questions about the financial statements. There was one interview that incorporated a standard consulting brain teaser (How many nuclear warheads exist in the world today?) but it was only to see how the thought process occurred and the answer was not overly relevant. Finally they took us out to lunch in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet members of the Restructuring group. The group's culture was easily determinable from all the networking opportunities, and it was clear that fit was the most important part of the interviewing process, as almost every member of the restructuring team was able to spend meaningful time with all of the applicants. After lunch there was additional time before the Official HR closing which included all the applicants across all business units, so we had an additional interview with the fourth interviewer. Again the structure of this interview was behavioral with one or two technical financial statement questions. (If you were assigned to a company that was nearing bankruptcy, how would you first check their current financial stays?) -- This question was less cut and dry and more difficult, but again it was more of a thought process question as opposed to an answer based question.

Interview Questions

• Why should we give you the job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

The interviewer asked a technical question about SQL in the first round interview, did not expect to answer that and answered it incorrectly. Make sure you prepare some basica SQL knowledge even they said the first round interview questions are all behavioral-based in the pre-night event.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to word with someone who is really difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone call from in-house recruiter. I got an email and then they followed up with a call. I had applied online through their website. The recruiter was doing the typical phone screen to see if I basically had a pulse and could communicate. They were pleasant and I got the feeling they were doing a bunch of these in a row so it was pretty mechanical.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about my resume, ideal type of job, and salary. It was a phone screen so they were trying to see if I should come in for an interview. It was the basic questions that they could just get off my resume.   1 Answer

FEDA Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

composed of 3 interviews. 2 of them were fit, the last was technical.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a client has information missing in their database   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

I was called into the office to conduct 4 1:1 interviews that each took 30 minutes each. I was asked simple questions about my background, resume, and experiences. I was also given a couple brain teaser questions to test my analytical skills.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about you finance internship? What did you do/learn during this experience?   Answer Question
    • How many gallons of water are there in the great lakes?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in June 2009.

Interview

Interview process was fairly straightforward, a phone interview to qualify, and then three in person interviews, one being a group format. The questions were very standard interview questions, nothing that would surprise someone who was prepared. I was a bit under qualified, and had made this concern known to the HR guy, but he still encouraged me to press on. That said, I felt like all the interviews focused on my experience (as they should) and questioned whether I was qualified. All good except for they knew this going in, so guess I questioned whether I should have been there in the first place. So my only complaint is that he HR guy was too eager for me to interview, whether than figure out if I'm actually right for the job.

Interview Questions

• What specifically about your previous work experience qualifies your for the role of project manager?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in October 2008.

Interview

1 on campus interview and 6 behavioral interviews at office.