FTI Consulting Consultant Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2015

2.9

Consultant Interview

Interview

Interviewed by all "non-staff" employees. They had obviously never been given interview direction. They were awkward people in general. It lasted about 30 minutes total. They didn't ask me any questions relative to the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good employee?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for FTI Consulting

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Brief phone interview followed by an in office interview with three Senior Managing Directors in the Boston Office and one Skype interview (the interviewer was in a conference call during our scheduled meeting time).

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral. Some easy statistics questions and questions regarding Stata.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations, great offer.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting in March 2015.

Interview

Most of the people I interviewed with were friendly and engaging. I was contacted via LinkedIn based on skills present on my profile, and met with the person contacting me. First round was just a basic behavioral meeting.

Second round was a case interview which on the whole was not too difficult, just sifting through a lot of data and telling a story with the information to interviewers.

The third round, after being called back post-case interview, was overall a negative experience. I believed that since I had been through the case interview and had been called back that the rest of the interview process would be goodness of fit. The third round felt like a first round interview; lots of questioning my choice to interview with the company - overall, it felt negative and unprofessional. Furthermore, I had been contacted by them to begin with, so the way I see it, we needed to both decide we would want to work together.

Then, on top of all of this, two weeks later, after having officially applied online, I was notified by their email subsystem that I 'would no longer be considered for the position.' Thinking this was strange, I contacted the employee who had made initial contact with me, and they told me that they had not made a decision and that this email was a mistake. Since contacting that person about the email, I have yet to hear anything from them.

Overall, I am surprised at the hiccups along the way in this process. From what I have read on Glassdoor, most have not experienced this type of process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you not want to use either of your degrees in your career?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview

First round, phone interview. Spoke with their HR department. She asked very basic questions about my background and work eligibility, many of which I had submitted along with my application. Didn't ask much about my interest in the company, but was very diligent in answering my questions. She said the company would follow-up within a week of the interview.

Interview Questions

• No trick questions, very straight forward. The interview felt rushed.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FTI Consulting in October 2014.

Interview

Learned of the position through TAMU Engineering Career. Applied online and received an email after a couple weeks to schedule an on-campus interview. I was unable to attend in person, but they allowed me to participate in a 20 minute phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to work through a problem.   1 Answer

They offered to fly me to Houston for a second interview, but I decided it was better for me to pursue an opportunity that was "real" engineering, where I would actually put my degree to work for a bit. It didn't sound like a bad gig at all down the line though, no technical number crunching, more analytical thinking.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (New York, NY).

Interview

I initially met with consultants and senior consultants, then with directors and MDs, and finally with the SMDs of the groups I'd potentially be joining. Then more SMDs wanted to meet with me. Lots of interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a lot about projects I'd worked on at previous jobs, even though the projects were several years back and I had been very junior level and only peripherally involved, and for a very short time.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were absolute snakes - they told me I'd be brought in as an experienced hire, but bumped me to 1st year consultant. They axed first year consultant bonuses and the employee stock purchase plan after I began, even though the company was having a record year. Greedy, old-school accountants who think it's okay to treat people that way just because they were treated that way.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (New York, NY).

Interview

Fisrt phone interview, then four 1:1 interview

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting in January 2014.

Interview

On campus interview, very friendly, mostly behavioral for the first round, few basic finance questions (3 financial statements). Final rounds were mostly behavioral and one case interview. The case interview dealt with a finance related problem in my interview but that wont always be the case. Make sure you know why you want to go into financial consulting.

Interview Questions

• You should know basic finance (Valuation, Financial Statements)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Interviewed through university. Went through only 2 rounds of interviews, the first just being a half hour, the second round consisting of a few in a row with a longer duration of time for each. All very laid back and really focusing on who you are as a person it seemed.

Interview Questions

• None were terrible, all straight forward interview questions that you would expect - why do you want to work here, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

I interviewed for FTI through campus recruiting. I submitted a resume through career services (no cover letter) and was contacted to do a first round on campus interview. The first interview was about 45 minutes and was behavioral. After about a week and a half I was contacted for a final round interview at their office. This was comprised of 3 45 minute behavioral interviews. Each interview had one senior level and one junior level employee.

Interview Questions

• What are the top challenges facing the healthcare industry?   Answer Question