FTI Consulting Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Washington, DC).

Interview

I interviewed at the Center for Healthcare Economics and Policy. First round was a half hour phone interview and the second was a five hour in-person interview with several different people and including an Excel-based case study. For the case study, I was given an hour to answer four questions from a data set and then presented my conclusions to the team afterwards.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview included a pop quiz: What factors are contributing to rising health care costs as a percentage of GDP across the globe?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for FTI Consulting

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview

Was originally contacted by a third party recruiter who put me in touch with the recruiter at FTI. Had the normal phone screen with the recruiter and then had another phone screen with a manager. Both were relatively straight forward and easy. I was then invited to the Chicago office where I met with two Directors. Both interviews went well. The next day, the recruiter contacted me and said the Director's really liked me, so she asked if she could contact my references as that was the last step before they give the official offer. After contacting my references, she extended me a verbal offer! She said she would send over the official (paper) offer the next day; however, I never heard from her. A few days later, I called the recruiter and she said they didn't have a project to staff me on that time, so they were going to wait a month before officially signing me. Never heard from her. A few months later, they ended up contacting a friend of mine for the exact same role. Not sure if they ever intended to give me a real offer, but if they didn't and they were merely stringing me along, they should have never asked to speak to my references as some of them were my coworkers. Also, don't make someone go through the whole process of leaving work and taking time off if you don't even have the capacity to hire them.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a situation where you exceeded your superior's expectations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone call from in-house recruiter. I got an email and then they followed up with a call. I had applied online through their website. The recruiter was doing the typical phone screen to see if I basically had a pulse and could communicate. They were pleasant and I got the feeling they were doing a bunch of these in a row so it was pretty mechanical.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about my resume, ideal type of job, and salary. It was a phone screen so they were trying to see if I should come in for an interview. It was the basic questions that they could just get off my resume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseland, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Roseland, NJ) in May 2013.

Interview

I applied through a campus interview posting at Rutgers Business School. I had a pre-screen phone interview and then an on-site interview with a manager and a director. During the on-site interview there was a case study writing samplt that was times for 25 minutes. Most of the questions were behavioral but some assessment of business terms and knowledge. I ended up being at the office for over 3 hours, got the job, and I am very happy.

Interview Questions

• There was a 25 minute writing prompt. The question was how would you approach a business problem and go about solving it. I gave the textbook 5-step approach answer, if you went to any decent business school then you would know what I;m talking about.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Chicago, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

I was called into the office to conduct 4 1:1 interviews that each took 30 minutes each. I was asked simple questions about my background, resume, and experiences. I was also given a couple brain teaser questions to test my analytical skills.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about you finance internship? What did you do/learn during this experience?   Answer Question
    • How many gallons of water are there in the great lakes?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Boston, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

general interview questions, behavioral questions, technical case question: how would you advise an ice-cream company that is dealing with a new competitor? Energy sector specific question.

Interview Questions

• What factors would you take into consideration when deciding whether or not to open an ice-cream shop in your hometown   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

Very nice interview process. Two nights of drinks with the staff. The interview is 6 hours long with a case study, presentation, and 6 interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FTI Consulting (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Campus resume drop. On-campus interview (30 minutes). In-office Super Day (4 hours). The process was fairly efficient except for the happenings after the Super Day - it took 2 weeks for FTI to extend an offer. I would suggest attending their events to get your face out their. The on-campus interview is focused on your past experience, and the in-house interview is more forward-looking in terms of evaluating your fit at FTI.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in consulting and not quantitative finance?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting (San Francisco, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

One on one campus interview with managing director. Very nice guy who did most of the talking. Wasn't sure if he was looking for me to take control of the interview. Interview seemed a little casual as we discussed things like travel and cultures and economics. He spent some time describing how selective they were. He asked me what I knew about the position, my background, and why I waited so long to apply.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Seattle, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

The interviewer was a senior consultant. The interview was 45 minutes long and had to do a case analysis. We spend about 5 minutes talking about the resume and why i want to work for the company. The rest of time was devoted to the case analysis.

Interview Questions

• what do you know about FTI consulting and why do you want to work for FTI consulting   Answer Question