FTI Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.9

Director - Restructuring Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Houston, TX) in February 2011.

Interview

FTI is good at restructuring work. I spent 6 months following up with the Managing Directors, at their request, once per week or so that were initally respectful. Don't waste your time as I was told we're "3 1/2 years from needing someone." Understanding you won't interview Friday and start Monday, why are you wasting time talking to folks when you say multiple times we'll need people over the next month, and then after a face to face you come back with this. Are you kidding me! What a joke and utter waste of time!

Interview Questions

• Generic case... Here's a client situations and the challenges around it. Please come back with your recommendations.   Answer Question
    • We travel out on travel the first of the month and back the 21st. Why would you want to do this it's a horrible life.   1 Answer

Forensic and Litigation Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting (San Francisco, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

1st Round
    1. Case: You have 3 communications groups: Big-box, mid-size, black market. How would each of
    the groups be affected if a new law passes that penalizes groups that conduct in unbusiness-like
    practices. This law penalizes any company that breaks the agreement signed by the big box and
    mid size companies, but not the black market. How does this affect market share? How does
    this affect sales? How would you measure the change in share, and capture of the market. Draw
    a graph of the change in market size that you believe will happen.
    2. You are given an excel spreadsheet, and the interviewer asks you to go through line item by line
    item and analyze the data and what the spreadsheet means.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting in November 2009.

Interview

3 one on one interview with a technical section for one interview

Interview Questions

• If the earths polar ice caps were melting how would you calculate if you could still commute to work in NYC or you had to take a boat   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Boston, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

general interview questions, behavioral questions, technical case question: how would you advise an ice-cream company that is dealing with a new competitor? Energy sector specific question.

Interview Questions

• What factors would you take into consideration when deciding whether or not to open an ice-cream shop in your hometown   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting in November 2011.

Interview

Group interview
    two 1:1 interviews with a consultant and a managing director
    1 task to complete (financial data analysis, excel, etc)

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

Very nice interview process. Two nights of drinks with the staff. The interview is 6 hours long with a case study, presentation, and 6 interviews.

Recruiter Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting in November 2011.

Interview

I met with 2 individuals who asked me many questions. I felt the interview was thourough and I had plenty of time to express my accomplishments

Economic and Financial Consultant, London Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FTI Consulting (London, England (UK)) in December 2012.

Interview

After submitting CV and Cover Letter I was invited to a 'first assessment day' - I am yet to find out if I'm through to the second.
    First Day assessment Centre:
    -A numerical test that is designed by them - not like GMAT format. 26 questions in 30 minutes that were difficult! Just try to be as fast as possible - the best ability to have due to time restrictions is ability to estimate effectively.
    -A verbal reasoning test that is very much the same as GMAT format.
    -A Group Exercise about introducing a lottery operator to a highly developed country. You are certainly guided through this and your group will consist of three people. The best advice is - start crunching the figures and numbers from the beginning. First you are given facts and figures about the cities of this country and chances of a lottery&advertising figures - why the government would want to introduce a lottery etc. You are asked to give the three main objectives you would have for an operator before you are given the figures of a hypothetical operator and you have to present in 5 minutes why you think this operator is best.
    -Written test: Had to summarise 2 pages on cigarettes becoming a form of currency in PoWs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FTI Consulting (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Campus resume drop. On-campus interview (30 minutes). In-office Super Day (4 hours).

The process was fairly efficient except for the happenings after the Super Day - it took 2 weeks for FTI to extend an offer.

I would suggest attending their events to get your face out their. The on-campus interview is focused on your past experience, and the in-house interview is more forward-looking in terms of evaluating your fit at FTI.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in consulting and not quantitative finance?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied online – interviewed at FTI Consulting (Annapolis, MD).

Interview

Phone Interview with HR followed. HR's interview was fairly in-depth for HR. They were fairly well briefed on the job requirements and asked good questions right off the bat.
    In-person interview with two levels of management. It was detailed and thorough. Nothing was out of line, but it was involved. Come prepared with your own questions and lead the interview.

Interview Questions

• What makes you qualified for this position?   1 Answer