FTI Consulting

Updated Nov 14, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Duration :1- week
    Phone Screen; 1-1 with a group. 4 Rounds in total.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question asked, to the point and precise,. Questions based on one's experience only.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview process was very unstructured when i was first hired by FTI and i believe the process has become much more formal. Unable to give much detail related to the overall process.

Interview Questions
    • Again, this was 7-8 years ago and I really do not recall any interview questions.   Answer Question
    Attempted to negotiate, but company was unwilling to compromise.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting in April 2013.

Panel interview with 2 directors. Ran through

Not right role

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interviewed through university. Went through only 2 rounds of interviews, the first just being a half hour, the second round consisting of a few in a row with a longer duration of time for each. All very laid back and really focusing on who you are as a person it seemed.

Interview Questions
    • None were terrible, all straight forward interview questions that you would expect - why do you want to work here, etc.   Answer Question

Consultant (Restructuring Group) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting in October 2013.

I was contacted by the Restructuring team while at school by phone without having applied to the job. They invited me to dinner, having found my resume on my college Career Center's website. At dinner we had the opportunity to meet some of the members of the Restructuring team, hear a little bit about the work, and begin to forge relationships with the group. After the dinner, I officially applied for the position through the Career Center's website at my University.

I was then contacted shortly after asking me to interview on campus. The interview was very calm and natural, essentially walk me through your resume, but also asking two standard financial statement questions (If AP goes down, what happens to cash? If depreciation decreases, what happens to EBIT?)

Shortly after the interview I was contacted again by the company asking me to come in for an office visit, with three other applicants. They took us out for dinner in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet with and learn about some members of the Restructuring group and what work they do. After that there was a social with all FTI applicants across all departments of FTI where there was additional opportunity to meet FTI employees and learn about the company and its culture.

The next morning was the office visit. It began with a presentation about the firm. After that were three interviews with different members of the Restructuring team. These again were essentially behavioral interviews with one or two basic questions about the financial statements. There was one interview that incorporated a standard consulting brain teaser (How many nuclear warheads exist in the world today?) but it was only to see how the thought process occurred and the answer was not overly relevant.

Finally they took us out to lunch in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet members of the Restructuring group. The group's culture was easily determinable from all the networking opportunities, and it was clear that fit was the most important part of the interviewing process, as almost every member of the restructuring team was able to spend meaningful time with all of the applicants.

After lunch there was additional time before the Official HR closing which included all the applicants across all business units, so we had an additional interview with the fourth interviewer. Again the structure of this interview was behavioral with one or two technical financial statement questions. (If you were assigned to a company that was nearing bankruptcy, how would you first check their current financial stays?) -- This question was less cut and dry and more difficult, but again it was more of a thought process question as opposed to an answer based question.

Non-negotiable.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

On Campus Interview - very casual 2 half hour interview with directors at various offices. No case questions; this interview is purely behavioral/fit. Interview also helped clarify job function as intern since the website and description on the career site were not very clear. Would advise doing research on the company before going into the interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

I initially met with consultants and senior consultants, then with directors and MDs, and finally with the SMDs of the groups I'd potentially be joining. Then more SMDs wanted to meet with me. Lots of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a lot about projects I'd worked on at previous jobs, even though the projects were several years back and I had been very junior level and only peripherally involved, and for a very short time.   Answer Question
    They were absolute snakes - they told me I'd be brought in as an experienced hire, but bumped me to 1st year consultant. They axed first year consultant bonuses and the employee stock purchase plan after I began, even though the company was having a record year. Greedy, old-school accountants who think it's okay to treat people that way just because they were treated that way.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting in September 2014.

Applied and had the first interview on campus. All behavioral questions, very relaxed and stress-free. Was selected to the final round at the office. Three back-to back interviews with professionals at different levels. Again, mostly fit-type conversations. Had a chance to interact with young consultants who just started there - everybody was nice and open; overall, felt like a very comfortable environment to work in.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FTI Consulting in October 2014.

Learned of the position through TAMU Engineering Career. Applied online and received an email after a couple weeks to schedule an on-campus interview. I was unable to attend in person, but they allowed me to participate in a 20 minute phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you had to work through a problem.   View Answer

They offered to fly me to Houston for a second interview, but I decided it was better for me to pursue an opportunity that was "real" engineering, where I would actually put my degree to work for a bit. It didn't sound like a bad gig at all down the line though, no technical number crunching, more analytical thinking.

FEDA Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

On campus interview then when on to Super day interviews. Great people interested in knowing what you're like as a person. There were no case interviews. They had a technical interview that was more focused on your resume and experience.