FTI Consulting

115 candidate interviews

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details – Interviewed through university. Went through only 2 rounds of interviews, the first just being a half hour, the second round consisting of a few in a row with a longer duration of time for each. All very laid back and really focusing on who you are as a person it seemed.

Interview Question – None were terrible, all straight forward interview questions that you would expect - why do you want to work here, etc.   Answer Question

Consultant (Restructuring Group) Interview

Consultant (Restructuring Group)
Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the Restructuring team while at school by phone without having applied to the job. They invited me to dinner, having found my resume on my college Career Center's website. At dinner we had the opportunity to meet some of the members of the Restructuring team, hear a little bit about the work, and begin to forge relationships with the group. After the dinner, I officially applied for the position through the Career Center's website at my University.

I was then contacted shortly after asking me to interview on campus. The interview was very calm and natural, essentially walk me through your resume, but also asking two standard financial statement questions (If AP goes down, what happens to cash? If depreciation decreases, what happens to EBIT?)

Shortly after the interview I was contacted again by the company asking me to come in for an office visit, with three other applicants. They took us out for dinner in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet with and learn about some members of the Restructuring group and what work they do. After that there was a social with all FTI applicants across all departments of FTI where there was additional opportunity to meet FTI employees and learn about the company and its culture.

The next morning was the office visit. It began with a presentation about the firm. After that were three interviews with different members of the Restructuring team. These again were essentially behavioral interviews with one or two basic questions about the financial statements. There was one interview that incorporated a standard consulting brain teaser (How many nuclear warheads exist in the world today?) but it was only to see how the thought process occurred and the answer was not overly relevant.

Finally they took us out to lunch in Chicago where we again had the opportunity to meet members of the Restructuring group. The group's culture was easily determinable from all the networking opportunities, and it was clear that fit was the most important part of the interviewing process, as almost every member of the restructuring team was able to spend meaningful time with all of the applicants.

After lunch there was additional time before the Official HR closing which included all the applicants across all business units, so we had an additional interview with the fourth interviewer. Again the structure of this interview was behavioral with one or two technical financial statement questions. (If you were assigned to a company that was nearing bankruptcy, how would you first check their current financial stays?) -- This question was less cut and dry and more difficult, but again it was more of a thought process question as opposed to an answer based question.

Interview Question – Why should we give you the job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details – On Campus Interview - very casual 2 half hour interview with directors at various offices. No case questions; this interview is purely behavioral/fit. Interview also helped clarify job function as intern since the website and description on the career site were not very clear. Would advise doing research on the company before going into the interview

Consultant Interview

Consultant
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details – I initially met with consultants and senior consultants, then with directors and MDs, and finally with the SMDs of the groups I'd potentially be joining. Then more SMDs wanted to meet with me. Lots of interviews.

Interview Question – They asked me a lot about projects I'd worked on at previous jobs, even though the projects were several years back and I had been very junior level and only peripherally involved, and for a very short time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were absolute snakes - they told me I'd be brought in as an experienced hire, but bumped me to 1st year consultant. They axed first year consultant bonuses and the employee stock purchase plan after I began, even though the company was having a record year. Greedy, old-school accountants who think it's okay to treat people that way just because they were treated that way.

Senior Director Interview

Senior Director
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was actually very pleasant. It started with a couple of phone calls in which I was invited to do most of the talking. There's a lot of focus on the candidate's background and not quite as much about the company's day-to-day operations as I would have liked to have seen. Once I got there, I can kind of see why they didn't have a lot to say. You are very much on your own with no training.

Interview Question – How to you value a corporation? This one is so open ended, I had a hard time encapsulating the right answer given the narrow focus of the financial job I was applying for at the time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Senior Director Interview

Senior Director
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview Details – Saw an online ad, sent in my resume and had an initial phone interview with HR that lasted about 15 minutes. Was scheduled to have another phone interview with the principals but that was changed to an in person interview with both the managing director and the senior managing director. The discussion with the managing director was straight forward, no real challenging/difficult questions. I had to wait about 45 minutes for the discussion with the senior managing director, even though I was told it would be only 5-10 minutes. No real challenging questions during this discussion either.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. Asked about experience related to crisis communications, communications plan, coalition work and experience working with clients.   Answer Question

Healthcare Analyst Interview

Healthcare Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at FTI Consulting in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted for a phone interview about two weeks later. I didn't pass this interview, but if you did you can expect to do an Excel based test.

Interview Question – Not too difficult.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FTI Consulting in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied for summer internship through campus career center. Was selected for first round (1:1 interview with senior analyst). Asked about courses (econometrics specifically) and asked for details about projects, and some specific questions about regressions. Rest of the interview was behavioral questions. Interviewer was not that personable, and did not feel like I connected.

Interview Question – Tell me about an experience where you had to work with someone who was extremely difficult.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university - interviewed at FTI Consulting in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interviewer asked a technical question about SQL in the first round interview, did not expect to answer that and answered it incorrectly. Make sure you prepare some basica SQL knowledge even they said the first round interview questions are all behavioral-based in the pre-night event.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to word with someone who is really difficult.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FTI Consulting in November 2013.

Interview Details – Cv and covering letter application followed by an online maths test which wasn't too hard. Then invited to an assessment day with a very difficult non calculator maths test, verbal reasoning test and writing test along with a group task.

Final stage is 3 1 to 1 interviews and an excel case study assessing the loss to a business from the breach of contract by another. Interviews were 1 CV, 1 based on the case study and 1 with a Senior MD where they can cover anything they like.

Interview Question – Maths test is very hard, prepare with GMAT style questions   Answer Question