FTI Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.9

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

Reached out through email at first and scheduled call. Asked about my background in the industry and to talk about some of the jobs I worked on to basically see if I was qualified for the job

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging client on one of the jobs you worked on   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Washington, DC) in February 2012.

Interview

Consisted of 2 30 minute interviews. Almost all behavioral questions. Not too hard.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview

Writing sample and three back-to-back interviews. Everyone was extremely nice, so the interviews weren't too bad.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a co-worker who wasn't doing his/her fair share of the work. What did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

CME Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FTI Consulting (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

FTI's website said first-round was behavioral/traditional interview questions only. My first-round was completely technicals - no behaviorals were asked. Honestly, it was my fault for not reviewing my technicals beforehand, but I was still disappointed that I was caught off-guard. I wish the interviewer at least tried to get to know me before he started throwing technicals at me.

Interview Questions

• terminal growth rate for a mature entertainment company   Answer Question

FTI Communications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting (London, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

applied through company website, two rounds: phone interview followed by Assessment Day including two one-to-one interview, writing exercise, group discussion and role play.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview

Was originally contacted by a third party recruiter who put me in touch with the recruiter at FTI. Had the normal phone screen with the recruiter and then had another phone screen with a manager. Both were relatively straight forward and easy. I was then invited to the Chicago office where I met with two Directors. Both interviews went well. The next day, the recruiter contacted me and said the Director's really liked me, so she asked if she could contact my references as that was the last step before they give the official offer. After contacting my references, she extended me a verbal offer! She said she would send over the official (paper) offer the next day; however, I never heard from her. A few days later, I called the recruiter and she said they didn't have a project to staff me on that time, so they were going to wait a month before officially signing me. Never heard from her. A few months later, they ended up contacting a friend of mine for the exact same role. Not sure if they ever intended to give me a real offer, but if they didn't and they were merely stringing me along, they should have never asked to speak to my references as some of them were my coworkers. Also, don't make someone go through the whole process of leaving work and taking time off if you don't even have the capacity to hire them.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a situation where you exceeded your superior's expectations.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting in June 2012.

Interview

Found an employee's contact information online and asked if they had internship opportunities. Very welcoming and kind during interview. Asked about previous experience in Marketing and other job experiences in general. Wanted to get an idea of my skill set to see what I could contribute to the company. Asked about my long-term career goals.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FTI Consulting in March 2008.

Interview

Recruited on-campus; first round interview based on fit and minimal technical questions. Second round consisted of three interviews - two of which were focused on fit and one of which was focused on technical skills. Company places a premium on fit since so much work is based on deal teams and interacting with clients and referral sources.

Interview Questions

• Explain how to value a company with negative equity   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate

Data Analytics Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FTI Consulting in March 2012.

Interview

Pretty basic interview questions. Consisted of several short interviews with different employees.

Withheld Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FTI Consulting.

Interview

Applied online through their website. Was contacted a day or two later via email by a recruiter and was asked to set up a time for a phone interview. Had the phone interview and was then told that my info would be passed on to the hiring manager and I would be contacted if there was interest. A week later I was contacted again via email by the recruiter and asked for a time to do a phone interview with the hiring manager. Short phone interview with the hiring manager and was told that I would be contacted by the recruiter. Recruiter contacted me the next day and said they would like to schedule an in person interview and she would get back to me. A month later I contacted the recruiter since I had not heard anything. Was told that the position might be on hold and/or not filled. A few days later I was contacted again and now told that interviews would take place.

The in person interview was roughly 2.5 hours and consisted of 30 minute blocks with a bunch of people in the department. Arrived on time and was told they were running behind schedule. Evidently someone else was already on the 'interview course' before me and they were taking their time. Met with the first person and they were very mindful of the 30 minute time frame. Had to wait for the next interviewer, and the next, and the next. Horrible interview situation and scheduling. Never experienced something like that. Felt like I didn't have adequate time and felt that I was looked at in a bad way because the person interviewing ahead of me was long winded and I was always waiting to move on. Finished with the last person and was essentially pointed to the door (oh, turn left it's over there). Not a good experience. I didn't get an offer but that's fine because I don't think I would have taken it after the interview experience. If you're going to schedule it like that build in an extra 20 - 30 minutes between interviewees to allow for extra time.