FXCM

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at FXCM in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed with human resources and another phone interview with a project lead. I was invited for an in person interview and met with two managers, one via webcam. Interview questions were rather standard. They are looking for people who are especially interested in financial markets, and previous knowledge of or experience in FX is not necessary.

Interview Question – Several questions about you would explain financial concepts or events to clients.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FXCM in June 2013.

Interview Details – This place is a nightmare... First an initial screening interview with an HR rep who I could tell didn't have a clue what was going on. She may have been new at the time, or at least I hope she was, because I could tell from our conversation that I knew more about the company than she did. I asked diligent questions which she didn't have the answers to.

After the initial screening I was scheduled for a phone interview with the team lead for the department. He asked typical interview questions and was very nice. It went well and a few days later I got a call from HR letting my know that they wanted to schedule an interview via web conference, this time with the team lead and VP of sales. This is the final round of interviewing. Again, it was a pleasant interview with the team lead, but the VP was incredibly rude and intimidating. He hardly ever even looked at me (the camera) when he asked me questions or when I was answering them. He seemed like he would have rather been anywhere else in the world than sitting in that room interviewing me. From the first moment of the interview he gave me the impression that I was a complete waste of his time. He couldn't have been more un-enthused. This made me very uncomfortable, and thank goodness it was a webcam interview and he couldn't see that he had me sweating bullets! When he turned the questioning over to me, I asked what the worst part of his job is and his response told me that he doesn't like seeing everybody "burned out" all the time. Clearly, employee morale is very low.

About 2.5 weeks later, I got a call and email from the HR rep telling me that they went with another candidate. This was after I followed up with a call and email to HR about a week after the final interview. It was a total waste of about 5 weeks of my time. I would have never bothered interviewing here if jobs weren't so hard to come by these days. It was a blessing I didn't get this job.

It was pretty clear to me throughout the process that the incompetence at this company is widespread. If I wanted to waste even more of my time on this company, I would continue to write a long, detailed review like others have. But instead, I'll just say the following: All the horrible reviews on this site are accurate. Avoid this place like it's the plague.

Interview Question – After telling the VP that I trade options, he asked me to explain how they can mitigate risk, and to do so in lay terms. He basically told me I failed because I started talking about the Greeks which the layman doesn't understand.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FXCM in August 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted resume and cover letter via my school's OCR. I received an e-mail roughly two weeks later asking for a phone interview.

The phone interview was a basic screening; resume walk-thru, why FXCM, etc. I also had to demonstrate an example of how economic events affected the Forex markets.

After passing the first phone interview, I was scheduled for a second phone interview with a team lead in San Francisco. This phone interview was another behavioral interview, with the interviewer asking why I wanted to work at FXCM and my resume. This time around I did not pass, and I assume it was because I was on the fence in terms of career aspirations. FXCM really stresses that they are looking for people that will be around for the long haul.

Interview Question – Demonstrate your knowledge of how economic events affect the Forex markets.   Answer Question

Interviewed at FXCM

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with HR. It was not too challenging and fairly pleasant. Second technical phone interview was setup the day after the initial phone interview, to take place the following week with a Department Head in Sales. Between the first and second interviews I was informed about how shady the company was and how unhappy its staff are. It was not going to be a fit for me so I decided to withdraw my name from consideration.

Interview Question – They want amateur economists that they can pay pennies. The reason that I say this is because in the initial HR interview I was asked about recent global activity that affected the MKTs, asked to talk about a business or stock that I was following, and told that pay was 40-45k (I would not have expected any more than 40 from the conversation).   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FXCM in September 2012.

Interview Details – The Interview process consisted of a quick phone interview. After the phone interview, I was invited into the office for an in person interview. The interview started with a webcam interview with the hiring manager in Texas for about 30 minutes. Next was an interview with two hiring managers.

Interview Question – What economic term can you explain in terms that anyone can understand?   View Answer

Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at FXCM in July 2012.

Interview Details – I had 3 total interviews: One with HR, one with the manager, and one with his manager (VP). The 3rd interview actually consisted of all three, one after the other. The woman in HR was very nice and asked easy interview questions: Why FXCM? What qualifies you?, etc. The manager asked slightly more probing questions testing market knowledge, previous experience, etc.

What really surprised me was the incompetence of the VP during the process. Like a good interviewee, I brought multiple copies of my resume, dressed in sharp suit, remained polite, but the VP was very disrespectful. During the end of the interview he mentioned that "honestly, [he] did not even look over [my] resume because I didn't see anything applicable to this job on it." I had customer service experience, an degree in Economics with a 3.97+ GPA, previous trading experience on it, and I had impressed the first two interviewers with what was on my resume. The VP instead asked an analytical brain teaser question not suitable for a representative position, and later in the interview asked that I "convince him of something". After arguing that the rental market may be a good investment right now, the VP stated: "I'm not convinced. Convince me of something else." Towards the very end of the interview, another manager interrupted twice to say we were taking too long, and that he wanted to use the room. All of these events made me uncomfortable there, and the VP only asked if I had questions after he said we were taking too long. Two weeks later I found out I was not hired. I honestly felt that the VP was more interested in making me feel intimidated and uncomfortable than he was evaluating me for the job I was interviewing for. I really felt like I wasted a great deal of time even considering working for this company. While I apparently couldn't convince the VP of anything, hopefully I can at least convince anyone reading this to be careful and skeptical if you're considering working for this company.

Interview Question – The brain teaser: You have 9 rubber balls, and a scale. One of the rubber balls is weighted less than the others. You can use the scale twice. How do you find which ball is weighted differently?   View Answers (2)

Financial Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FXCM.

Interview Details – I had a 3 tier interview process:

1st interview was over the phone with an HR/Admin generalist.

2nd interview was with the manager of the team(s). Questions consisted of prior experience, why I'd be great for this position. Just general feeler type questions.

3rd interview was with head of the office. Asked why I wanted to work for FXCM. Asked some basic market questions. Stuff you can get by reading Dailyfx for a week prior to the interview.

Interview Question – I was asked why I thought manhole covers were round...

Frankly i felt it rather contrived. This is not an analyst position. Its for a glorified sales/call center job. I think it's more important to see how I handle stressful situations or upset clients.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – LOL. There is no negotiation of salary. You get 40k a year and potential quarterly bonuses. If you do well, you get raises at your anniversary. But from what I hear from old timers, raises were 10-25%. Those days are gone.

Financial Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FXCM in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter of FXCM after applying for the position on their website. The recruiter set up an initial phone interview which was a combination of information and personality. This interview was very common and easy. At the end of the session, she asked me to set up a time for another interview with an HR hiring manager. This interview took place about 1 week later, consisting of questions regarding market knowledge, personality and situations. This was a relatively easy interview due to the fact that I had been trading currencies with FXCM for approximately 4 years during undergrad so I knew a great deal about the FX market as well as advanced knowledge of all FXCM's products and software. I was contacted a week later to set up an interview with a team leader for the office I would be working out of, and the US VP for financial services. The first part of the interview was with the team leader who was a really nice guy and very professional and I can honestly say this was an enjoyable experience. The next interview with the VP was a complete nightmare and the worst interview I have ever had in my life. First, he was extremely rude and made it seem as if he really didn't want to be there and it was wasting his time or something. He asked me very vague questions which were difficult to find a correct answer and I wasn't even quizzed on the letter I was instructed to read. If this is the incompetency at this high a level in the company, then FXCM does not have a good future. I would really warn anyone from working here, since they are very disorganized, low pay, and upper level management seems completely obtuse as to what their role is. This whole process took about 1 month and was a complete waste of my valuable time. Who confidently goes through 4 interviews and doesn't get an offer? Well I guess I did....

Interview Question – Explain the recent weakness in the Euro.   View Answer

Worked for FXCM? Contribute to the Community!