FXCM

55 candidate interviews

Client Service Representative Interview

Client Service Representative
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FXCM in July 2010.

Interview Details – One interview which consisted of interviewing with five market specialists. Do not try to talk about something you do not know, because they will call you out on it. Give you an article to read and interpret; basically you read it and they say , "go". Must be able to articulate your skills and make sure you show them why you stand out.

Interview Question – To read an article   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No.

Sales Interview

Sales
Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FXCM in September 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview, then I went into the office and met with a HR representative. It was all "fit" questions. Then a manager came in and gave me a few technical questions about the markets and specifically the currency markets. Know your stuff. Know what currencies are doing and why.

Interview Question – Why is the euro weak against the dollar   View Answer

Market Research Analyst Interview

Market Research Analyst
Dallas, TX

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FXCM in March 2012.

Interview Details – First FXCM called me for the initial phone screen in which they asked me about my resume. They told me some administrative things such as the salary and the hours/week that the position entailed. Afterwards, they set up an on-site interview with me for the following week. This interview was actually rather tough. First, I spoke with an HR representative who asked about my resume, how I heard about the position, and why I thought I was suitable for this position; she also gave me something to read in 10 minutes and I was to be asked about it by someone else. Then I spoke with the person whose team I would actually be working for. He asked me about the article what I thought it meant, what has happened recently in the markets, what is going on in Europe, what affects interest rates, about different types of analyses, spoke to me in a foreign language in which I responded, and basically tested to see if I knew how different markets affected others around the world. Sometimes he asked me about specific examples, but I did not know those in particular. Overall, it was a pretty challenging, yet positive, interview process in which I had to think about my answers quite a bit.

Interview Question – Tell me about europe.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation.

Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at FXCM in July 2012.

Interview Details – I had 3 total interviews: One with HR, one with the manager, and one with his manager (VP). The 3rd interview actually consisted of all three, one after the other. The woman in HR was very nice and asked easy interview questions: Why FXCM? What qualifies you?, etc. The manager asked slightly more probing questions testing market knowledge, previous experience, etc.

What really surprised me was the incompetence of the VP during the process. Like a good interviewee, I brought multiple copies of my resume, dressed in sharp suit, remained polite, but the VP was very disrespectful. During the end of the interview he mentioned that "honestly, [he] did not even look over [my] resume because I didn't see anything applicable to this job on it." I had customer service experience, an degree in Economics with a 3.97+ GPA, previous trading experience on it, and I had impressed the first two interviewers with what was on my resume. The VP instead asked an analytical brain teaser question not suitable for a representative position, and later in the interview asked that I "convince him of something". After arguing that the rental market may be a good investment right now, the VP stated: "I'm not convinced. Convince me of something else." Towards the very end of the interview, another manager interrupted twice to say we were taking too long, and that he wanted to use the room. All of these events made me uncomfortable there, and the VP only asked if I had questions after he said we were taking too long. Two weeks later I found out I was not hired. I honestly felt that the VP was more interested in making me feel intimidated and uncomfortable than he was evaluating me for the job I was interviewing for. I really felt like I wasted a great deal of time even considering working for this company. While I apparently couldn't convince the VP of anything, hopefully I can at least convince anyone reading this to be careful and skeptical if you're considering working for this company.

Interview Question – The brain teaser: You have 9 rubber balls, and a scale. One of the rubber balls is weighted less than the others. You can use the scale twice. How do you find which ball is weighted differently?   View Answers (2)

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FXCM in September 2012.

Interview Details – The Interview process consisted of a quick phone interview. After the phone interview, I was invited into the office for an in person interview. The interview started with a webcam interview with the hiring manager in Texas for about 30 minutes. Next was an interview with two hiring managers.

Interview Question – What economic term can you explain in terms that anyone can understand?   View Answer

Operations Associate Interview

Operations Associate

Interviewed at FXCM

Interview Details – I was contacted by a human resources representative who was very friendly and conducted a phone interview. I was contacted a week later for a live interview. The live interview was composed of two sessions. The first session was a one on one interview with the division vice president. The second session was a panel/group interview with two vice presidents of the department. There was also a computer skills exam and an application exam. After the interview sessions, I was informed that I would be notified within 2 weeks if I qualified for the position.

Interview Question – Please provide information on a project/case/situation that you worked on very hard and failed. Also, describe why you think it failed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The base pay is nonnegotiable.

FX Sales Associate Interview

FX Sales Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at FXCM.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by three FXCM employees: first, by a language specialist, then by a team lead, and last by the VP of the office. I did extensive research on the company and on currency trading in general; as such, I was prepared.

Interview Question – The pace of the questioning was quick.   View Answer

FX Sales Associate Interview

FX Sales Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FXCM in January 2013.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview to start with, then was scheduled for an in-person. Was interviewed by two managers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a challenge with a co-worker. How did you solve it?   Answer Question
  • Explain a common technical indicator used in trading in easy an to understand format.   View Answer
  • What was the last trade you made?   Answer Question

Broker Intern Interview

Broker Intern
Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and interviewed at FXCM.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR in the New York location to set up an interview. They were prompt to setting up a phone interview and then the subsequent in person interview. The in person interview consisted of a conversation with a team lead in both departments you would be rotating in. They are looking for a genuine person who has knowledge of the company and the market in general.

Interview Question – The effects to the dollar if there were financial turmoil in another country.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FXCM in June 2013.

Interview Details – This place is a nightmare... First an initial screening interview with an HR rep who I could tell didn't have a clue what was going on. She may have been new at the time, or at least I hope she was, because I could tell from our conversation that I knew more about the company than she did. I asked diligent questions which she didn't have the answers to.

After the initial screening I was scheduled for a phone interview with the team lead for the department. He asked typical interview questions and was very nice. It went well and a few days later I got a call from HR letting my know that they wanted to schedule an interview via web conference, this time with the team lead and VP of sales. This is the final round of interviewing. Again, it was a pleasant interview with the team lead, but the VP was incredibly rude and intimidating. He hardly ever even looked at me (the camera) when he asked me questions or when I was answering them. He seemed like he would have rather been anywhere else in the world than sitting in that room interviewing me. From the first moment of the interview he gave me the impression that I was a complete waste of his time. He couldn't have been more un-enthused. This made me very uncomfortable, and thank goodness it was a webcam interview and he couldn't see that he had me sweating bullets! When he turned the questioning over to me, I asked what the worst part of his job is and his response told me that he doesn't like seeing everybody "burned out" all the time. Clearly, employee morale is very low.

About 2.5 weeks later, I got a call and email from the HR rep telling me that they went with another candidate. This was after I followed up with a call and email to HR about a week after the final interview. It was a total waste of about 5 weeks of my time. I would have never bothered interviewing here if jobs weren't so hard to come by these days. It was a blessing I didn't get this job.

It was pretty clear to me throughout the process that the incompetence at this company is widespread. If I wanted to waste even more of my time on this company, I would continue to write a long, detailed review like others have. But instead, I'll just say the following: All the horrible reviews on this site are accurate. Avoid this place like it's the plague.

Interview Question – After telling the VP that I trade options, he asked me to explain how they can mitigate risk, and to do so in lay terms. He basically told me I failed because I started talking about the Greeks which the layman doesn't understand.   Answer Question

Worked for FXCM? Contribute to the Community!