FXCM

Updated Nov 21, 2014
Updated Nov 21, 2014

2.8

Multimedia Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FXCM in November 2013.

Was contacted very soon after submitting my application online by an internal recruiter. Had a 20 minute phone interview with said recruiter. Phone interview contained soft questions about my past experience. This was followed up by a one hour interview with the hiring manager where experience and ability was further discussed along with what the job would entail. Nothing too difficult to answer. I was asked to create a 30 video spot based on a voice over that was prerecorded. I was given 3 days to complete this assignment. The creation of the spot took about 6 hours to complete. In my opinion, its a little out of the ordinary to create such a piece for a prospective company. My merits have usually been judged on my past work presented in my portfolio. A week or two went by and I finally got an answer. I was told that I submitted a great piece one they felt "lead the pack", but the company recently instated a hiring freeze and could not hire at the time. I was told they would revisit the hiring for the position at the beginning of the year. Haven't heard from them, but I could care less. I felt like the people I dealt with were overall good people.

Interview Questions
    • Would you create a video based on a voiceover we provide?   Answer Question

Broker Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FXCM.

I was contacted by HR in the New York location to set up an interview. They were prompt to setting up a phone interview and then the subsequent in person interview. The in person interview consisted of a conversation with a team lead in both departments you would be rotating in. They are looking for a genuine person who has knowledge of the company and the market in general.

Interview Questions
    • The effects to the dollar if there were financial turmoil in another country.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FXCM in October 2013.

Interviewed with human resources and another phone interview with a project lead. I was invited for an in person interview and met with two managers, one via webcam. Interview questions were rather standard. They are looking for people who are especially interested in financial markets, and previous knowledge of or experience in FX is not necessary.

Interview Questions
    • Several questions about you would explain financial concepts or events to clients.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FXCM in August 2013.

Submitted resume and cover letter via my school's OCR. I received an e-mail roughly two weeks later asking for a phone interview.

The phone interview was a basic screening; resume walk-thru, why FXCM, etc. I also had to demonstrate an example of how economic events affected the Forex markets.

After passing the first phone interview, I was scheduled for a second phone interview with a team lead in San Francisco. This phone interview was another behavioral interview, with the interviewer asking why I wanted to work at FXCM and my resume. This time around I did not pass, and I assume it was because I was on the fence in terms of career aspirations. FXCM really stresses that they are looking for people that will be around for the long haul.

Interview Questions
    • Demonstrate your knowledge of how economic events affect the Forex markets.   Answer Question

FX Sales Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FXCM in July 2013.

Phone interview than face to face interview the following day. First person I met with tested market knowledge from a global macroeconomic standpoint. Walk through resume. Why a good fit for sales.

Financial Service Representative Interview

Initial phone interview with HR. It was not too challenging and fairly pleasant. Second technical phone interview was setup the day after the initial phone interview, to take place the following week with a Department Head in Sales. Between the first and second interviews I was informed about how shady the company was and how unhappy its staff are. It was not going to be a fit for me so I decided to withdraw my name from consideration.

Interview Questions
    • They want amateur economists that they can pay pennies. The reason that I say this is because in the initial HR interview I was asked about recent global activity that affected the MKTs, asked to talk about a business or stock that I was following, and told that pay was 40-45k (I would not have expected any more than 40 from the conversation).   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at FXCM in June 2013.

This place is a nightmare... First an initial screening interview with an HR rep who I could tell didn't have a clue what was going on. She may have been new at the time, or at least I hope she was, because I could tell from our conversation that I knew more about the company than she did. I asked diligent questions which she didn't have the answers to.

After the initial screening I was scheduled for a phone interview with the team lead for the department. He asked typical interview questions and was very nice. It went well and a few days later I got a call from HR letting my know that they wanted to schedule an interview via web conference, this time with the team lead and VP of sales. This is the final round of interviewing. Again, it was a pleasant interview with the team lead, but the VP was incredibly rude and intimidating. He hardly ever even looked at me (the camera) when he asked me questions or when I was answering them. He seemed like he would have rather been anywhere else in the world than sitting in that room interviewing me. From the first moment of the interview he gave me the impression that I was a complete waste of his time. He couldn't have been more un-enthused. This made me very uncomfortable, and thank goodness it was a webcam interview and he couldn't see that he had me sweating bullets! When he turned the questioning over to me, I asked what the worst part of his job is and his response told me that he doesn't like seeing everybody "burned out" all the time. Clearly, employee morale is very low.

About 2.5 weeks later, I got a call and email from the HR rep telling me that they went with another candidate. This was after I followed up with a call and email to HR about a week after the final interview. It was a total waste of about 5 weeks of my time. I would have never bothered interviewing here if jobs weren't so hard to come by these days. It was a blessing I didn't get this job.

It was pretty clear to me throughout the process that the incompetence at this company is widespread. If I wanted to waste even more of my time on this company, I would continue to write a long, detailed review like others have. But instead, I'll just say the following: All the horrible reviews on this site are accurate. Avoid this place like it's the plague.

Interview Questions
    • After telling the VP that I trade options, he asked me to explain how they can mitigate risk, and to do so in lay terms. He basically told me I failed because I started talking about the Greeks which the layman doesn't understand.   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at FXCM in May 2013.

Phone Interview, just to confirm whatever you wrote on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing actually asked, mainly focus on my programming skill.   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at FXCM.

The process starts with a telephone interview with the HR specialist. Once you've been vetted via telephone, you'll be invited to an in-person interview. I was asked to come in for the interview only 2 days after the phone interview.

The interview consisted of a portion with the HR specialists, a portion with the managers for the department and any other specialized team members (depending on the position applied for).

I received the job offer 3 days later.

Interview Questions
    • The managers mostly wanted to get an idea of the kind of personality I had. They didn't ask any questions about my previous work experience or qualifications for the position.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at FXCM.

Initially met one of the managers during a presentation at school where I turned in my resume. What followed was a quick prescreen phone interview that lasted about 15-20 min. where they asked the most basic questions such as periodical I read, sources of information and my experience in investments.

I then had an appointment to interview in their San Francisco office with the same manager I meet. I was initially interviewed through a teleconference monitor by someone from Dallas and then the manager afterwards. Not really technical outside of testing your knowledge of current events and the global economy. It mostly surrounded behavioral questions and getting to know you personally (teamwork, initiative, communications.. etc). Altogether it took about 1 1/2 hours. The office was small although it had a pleasant atmosphere to it with all the co-workers appearing very friendly and down to earth. I got to meet a couple after the interview. I enjoyed the whole interview process as it was completed relatively quick and everyone was very welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me what is going on in the global economy right now. (Both spent some time on this topic)   Answer Question
    • What do you not like to do in a job.   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a situation where you were able to persuade someone. (emphasized this was a main job skill)   Answer Question