FXCM Interview Questions

2.8

Financial Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at FXCM in September 2012.

The Interview process consisted of a quick phone interview. After the phone interview, I was invited into the office for an in person interview. The interview started with a webcam interview with the hiring manager in Texas for about 30 minutes. Next was an interview with two hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    • What economic term can you explain in terms that anyone can understand?   View Answer

Financial Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at FXCM in July 2012.

I had 3 total interviews: One with HR, one with the manager, and one with his manager (VP). The 3rd interview actually consisted of all three, one after the other. The woman in HR was very nice and asked easy interview questions: Why FXCM? What qualifies you?, etc. The manager asked slightly more probing questions testing market knowledge, previous experience, etc.

What really surprised me was the incompetence of the VP during the process. Like a good interviewee, I brought multiple copies of my resume, dressed in sharp suit, remained polite, but the VP was very disrespectful. During the end of the interview he mentioned that "honestly, [he] did not even look over [my] resume because I didn't see anything applicable to this job on it." I had customer service experience, an degree in Economics with a 3.97+ GPA, previous trading experience on it, and I had impressed the first two interviewers with what was on my resume. The VP instead asked an analytical brain teaser question not suitable for a representative position, and later in the interview asked that I "convince him of something". After arguing that the rental market may be a good investment right now, the VP stated: "I'm not convinced. Convince me of something else." Towards the very end of the interview, another manager interrupted twice to say we were taking too long, and that he wanted to use the room. All of these events made me uncomfortable there, and the VP only asked if I had questions after he said we were taking too long. Two weeks later I found out I was not hired. I honestly felt that the VP was more interested in making me feel intimidated and uncomfortable than he was evaluating me for the job I was interviewing for. I really felt like I wasted a great deal of time even considering working for this company. While I apparently couldn't convince the VP of anything, hopefully I can at least convince anyone reading this to be careful and skeptical if you're considering working for this company.

Interview Questions
    • The brain teaser: You have 9 rubber balls, and a scale. One of the rubber balls is weighted less than the others. You can use the scale twice. How do you find which ball is weighted differently?   View Answers (2)

FX Broker Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at FXCM in June 2012.

Was a very simple interview that consisted of basic fit questions asked by a member of HR. Then, she hands you a document highlighting the mornings market news and your asked to read it. After that, the hiring manager comes and introduces himself and asks further fit questions and also walks through your resume. Finally, he asks you a few basic questions about the market to gauge if you follow the market. As long as you brush up on what's going on in the economy starting a week before, particularly anything related to the currency market, and can articulate yourself, you'll do just fine.

Interview Questions
    • Name me a big news event that contributed to major market movement recently and why you think that is.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at FXCM in May 2012.

I applied to FXCM online and a few days later received an email to set up an interview. The phone interview was pretty basic, asking me questions about my resume, and my interest in FXCM and the foreign exchange market. I felt like it went well, but a few days later received an email saying that they had decided to pursue other candidates.

Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FXCM in March 2012.

First FXCM called me for the initial phone screen in which they asked me about my resume. They told me some administrative things such as the salary and the hours/week that the position entailed. Afterwards, they set up an on-site interview with me for the following week. This interview was actually rather tough. First, I spoke with an HR representative who asked about my resume, how I heard about the position, and why I thought I was suitable for this position; she also gave me something to read in 10 minutes and I was to be asked about it by someone else. Then I spoke with the person whose team I would actually be working for. He asked me about the article what I thought it meant, what has happened recently in the markets, what is going on in Europe, what affects interest rates, about different types of analyses, spoke to me in a foreign language in which I responded, and basically tested to see if I knew how different markets affected others around the world. Sometimes he asked me about specific examples, but I did not know those in particular. Overall, it was a pretty challenging, yet positive, interview process in which I had to think about my answers quite a bit.

There is no negotiation.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FXCM in September 2011.

Phone interview, then I went into the office and met with a HR representative. It was all "fit" questions. Then a manager came in and gave me a few technical questions about the markets and specifically the currency markets. Know your stuff. Know what currencies are doing and why.

Interview Questions
    • Why is the euro weak against the dollar   View Answer

Ops Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at FXCM in July 2011.

There were three levels of interview. Starting from the team leader level/VP who then determines if candidate is worthy to pass onto MD for second round of interview. If candidate gets past the second round, they are interviewed by the COO, David Sakhai.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FXCM in May 2011.

The interview process was relatively easy, and because the San Francisco office is small, I was only interviewed by a few staff. I was treated well throughout the interview process and got a good feel for the company during the onsite interview. The phone interview was relatively short, and more based on experience than personality.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at FXCM in March 2011.

I applied online. I received an email requesting a phone interview. The interview was standard - asked for work history, education history, etc. They described the opportunity and it was not a fit for my experience. The work culture did not sound like a fit.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a question about my customer service experience even though I was applying for an analytical position.   View Answer

Not a good fit for the job.

FX Financial Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at FXCM in September 2010.

Initial phone interview was for a back office support position and I quickly turned it around to indicate my preference for a front office sales role, which they reacted positively to, a good sign that they want to place you were you will be most productive. I was asked to goto the NY office the next week for a series of interviews. Met with HR first, mostly behavioral + fit questions (vanilla "what is your biggest weakness", what do you offer to the company, bring to the table blah blah) no problem there. The firm values ENERGY so you must show it in the interview, enthusiasm was key. Next I met with the sales team 1.1 individually. Asked about my background, why forex, what does the company do, what do you know about forex, what is a CFD product, what new regulations will affect the currency markets. I related coursework, papers i wrote,to the position as well as some front office desk internships in finance. I spent the afternoon there for a total of 4 1 on 1 interviews. Not too challenging but some of the sales guys did try and throw me off with "you don't have any sales experience" (like any interns actually EVER do in finance) so why should we hire you. Must be willing to go the extra mile, the company is going public and expanding so it seemed like a good opp. Pay is terrible. The next week the Managing Director of the FX Sales team called to interview me via phone. Pressed me a bit on market knowledge, "what can you tell me about FXCM"..."why should you trade forex vs equities ect." "what is your long term view on the USD?" IF you enjoy the market and are well read and informed you will do fine. I pressed her a bit on the companies average age (27) and asked if it was an indication that people leave for some reason which she seemed to like that i pressed her for more info.

Was offered the position via phone the next week, upon acceptance they ask you to come in and start studying for the Series 3 before a 2 week training period in Dallas before you start on the customer service side in training for 6 more months.

Interview Questions
    • What is your long term view on the dollar?   View Answer
    • What can you tell me about our company?
      Why should we hire you?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation on pay. Was able to push my start date back 1 week.