Facebook

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details – So i had 4 back to back interviews with all managers. The interviews were all extremely technical and the interviewers were pretty straight forward, weren't excessively nice or mean.
The interview went through lunch hour and they din't offer me lunch and I was so hungry through half af all my interviews which kinda sucked.

Interview Question – A lot of SQL questions. General knowledge about how you would handle large amounts of data.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Extremely straightforward. The recruiter was extremely nice and I tried to negotiate but I couldn't because the offer was already pretty up there.

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Overall, Facebook's interview process was slow and uncoordinated.

I was referred, but dealt with their internal recruiters throughout the process. After chatting with one of their recruiters, I was told they'd schedule an initial screening interview. Since I was local, this was done at their headquarters instead of over the phone. This screening was actually 3 one-on-one interviews and took over two hours. These were pretty basic questions, and none were too difficult.

I passed the screen and went back for another round of one-on-one interviews. These questions were tougher. One was about scaling an app I'd written up to Facebook scale. Since I don't have a ton of experience working at scale, I don't know if I flubbed it or not. One was about processing log files of events to determine a user's current status. And one was about splitting strings up using a dictionary (search for "Retiring a Great Interview Problem" if you want the details) that I eventually worked though.

After that, I was asked back to a third round of one-on-one interviews. I was told this one would be quick, but it was just as long as the others. Most of the questions were actually about work I'd done previously and data visualization.

After this, I received a call from a recruiter who sounded excited, saying they were going to do a background check on me, and that I should expect to hear back when the hiring manager returned from vacation. But that time came and went, and I was eventually told (via email) that the position had been filled, so I didn't get an offer.

I'd like to draw special attention to how slow this process was. After my initial contact with a recruiter, it took 2 weeks to schedule and do the screening interview. It took another 2 weeks for them to get feedback and schedule a second round. After the second round, it look another 3 weeks to get the third round scheduled. And then it was another 2 weeks before I heard back. I had nearly wide-open availability, so the only thing holding things up was Facebook.

I'd also like to draw attention to how uncoordinated the recruiters were. My initial contact was with one recruiter. After chatting with him, he handed me off to a second recruiter. She scheduled the second interview, after which i was handed off to a third recruiter. And after that, the email saying the position had been filled came from a fourth recruiter. Meanwhile, the recruiters that scheduled the interviews helped escort me around on site were different than any of these. It was very, very difficult to keep track of who to contact with questions, updates, and thank yous. I also think the job title of I was applying for changed at least once during this process, which led to a little confusion in the actual interviews, though all recruiters involved assured me it was the same position.

More uncoordination: they asked me to fill out an application form, and I did so and turned it in at my screening interview. They then asked from this same form at every subsequent interview, and even once over email, and I had to keep reminding them I'd already done it.

Also, just a gripe. All three of my on-site interviews were scheduled to begin in the morning, and they all lasted well past noon. I was only offered lunch once.

Interview Question – They asked how I'd scale a web app I'd previously developed in my spare time up to Facebook scale.   View Answer

Menlo Park, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in April 2013.

Interview Details – The recruiters were really nice. They planned well through out the process and communicated so well during the process.

But, the callous attitude of interviewers always bothers me. I was asked to show up around 10am and I reached the place 9.45am. But, the interviewer did not show up until 10.40am. No apologies and he did not even feel bad about it.

He threw a training book and told me to solve a design/data modeling problem. He himself did not have clue about the answer and he was looking at the answer in the back of the book. He asked random question and manager asked one question thinking as he solved every problem in the earth. That totally put me off.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. They are all standard questions.   Answer Question

Data Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – I have a phone interview at first. Before this, I asked the recruiter whether I cold apply to two positions. I was told not for now. Then, they arrange an phone chat for me.

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – HR Screening, then technical Phone interview, based on questions related to Python and SQL

Interview Question – The questions were pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!