Facebook Data Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2015

3.7

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

There were 2 Telephonic round(1 coding+1 sql)(45 mins each with a break of 15 mins in between) You will be asked to code. Interviews would start with basic introduction and they would ask you to code in your preferred language(but Python is preferred). sql questions are My sql based. Regular questions but answers expected are the most optimized way. They would expect simple questions to be answered in a particular way.

Interview Questions

• 1) Given a number and a array. Python code to find sum of any 2 numbers in a list is equal to a given number. 2) sql question mostly on case when, joins ex: Q3: delete all dupliactes from a table in one query 3) Mostly the interviewer was cornering me by asking not to use regular ways, so he was expecting the answers in a particular way, ex: can't use joins, sub query etc which made very simple questions tough   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview process was long with a wait time of 2 weeks between each round. Started off with 2 initial screening rounds and then 6 45-minute on-site interviews. 4 of the 6 interviews were highly technical(SQL, R and Python). Didn't get an offer but overall a fair process and got to share knowledge with some very smart folks.

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

HR phone interview still in process, find the hiring manger in Linkedin and submit the application. General description on current job and the requirement of Facebook data engineer position. Then the HR says need to talk with hiring to valid my ability and decide whether go to next step

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Facebook's culture of moving fast spills directly into recruiting and the interview process. The recruiters are very reachable and friendly, and provided great technical and cultural preparation for the interview process. I have interviewed with many competitors during my job search but Facebook is always a step ahead, and provided the best attention and service. There were two phone screen interviews that focused mostly on technical programming in working with data that required a SQL and a scripting-language approach to solving the problem. The on-site interview was scheduled with 6 interviewers. The structure of the interview revolved around having 2 Jedi, 2 Ninja, and 2 Pirate interviews. At Facebook, Jedi interviews are mostly based around cultural fit questions, Ninja interviews are based around technical programming skills (in SQL and scripting languages) and Pirate interviews are based around design problems. The interviewers were very friendly and set a comfortable pace for an otherwise tiring and lengthy process. In my experience and opinion, I think they are really looking at potential talent and aptitude, and I was amazed at how sharp some interviewers were in their ability to identify a candidate's lack of experience in the topic and were able to redesign their questions on the spot to better access the candidate. I came out of the interview wanting to work for Facebook even if I was not selected, but thankfully I made it through the process :)

Interview Questions

• Mostly SQL, design problems, algorithm puzzles, cultural fit questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They are fair and Glassdoor provides a good gauge for salaries

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter approached via linkedin and requested for a 30 min chat about my current roles and responsibilities and what are their expectations and probable compensations and benefits. This was followed by back to back phone screens involving SQL and python coding exercise. The HR and the SQL interviewer were superb at their job.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer in the first phone screen for SQL was very professional. He explained the questions clearly and clearly defined what he was looking for. Multiple SQL questions were asked. The interviewer in the second phone screen was equally unprofessional and very rude. He was not able to explain the question clearly and was shouting on the phone. I was very surprised and disappointed to see such people taking interviews and making hiring decisions.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Talked with a recruiter, and went to Palo Alto for an on campus technical interview. Took about 90 minutes doing whiteboard code and talking through some hypothetical experiments. Interviewer did not ask ANY questions about the type of work I currently do, projects I have done etc. Didn't seem interested in anything other than checking the boxes on the form. Seemed more like an interrogation than a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Design an experiment to test whether a feature spurs conversation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

So i had 4 back to back interviews with all managers. The interviews were all extremely technical and the interviewers were pretty straight forward, weren't excessively nice or mean. The interview went through lunch hour and they din't offer me lunch and I was so hungry through half af all my interviews which kinda sucked.

Interview Questions

• A lot of SQL questions. General knowledge about how you would handle large amounts of data.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Extremely straightforward. The recruiter was extremely nice and I tried to negotiate but I couldn't because the offer was already pretty up there.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Overall, Facebook's interview process was slow and uncoordinated. I was referred, but dealt with their internal recruiters throughout the process. After chatting with one of their recruiters, I was told they'd schedule an initial screening interview. Since I was local, this was done at their headquarters instead of over the phone. This screening was actually 3 one-on-one interviews and took over two hours. These were pretty basic questions, and none were too difficult. I passed the screen and went back for another round of one-on-one interviews. These questions were tougher. One was about scaling an app I'd written up to Facebook scale. Since I don't have a ton of experience working at scale, I don't know if I flubbed it or not. One was about processing log files of events to determine a user's current status. And one was about splitting strings up using a dictionary (search for "Retiring a Great Interview Problem" if you want the details) that I eventually worked though. After that, I was asked back to a third round of one-on-one interviews. I was told this one would be quick, but it was just as long as the others. Most of the questions were actually about work I'd done previously and data visualization. After this, I received a call from a recruiter who sounded excited, saying they were going to do a background check on me, and that I should expect to hear back when the hiring manager returned from vacation. But that time came and went, and I was eventually told (via email) that the position had been filled, so I didn't get an offer. I'd like to draw special attention to how slow this process was. After my initial contact with a recruiter, it took 2 weeks to schedule and do the screening interview. It took another 2 weeks for them to get feedback and schedule a second round. After the second round, it look another 3 weeks to get the third round scheduled. And then it was another 2 weeks before I heard back. I had nearly wide-open availability, so the only thing holding things up was Facebook. I'd also like to draw attention to how uncoordinated the recruiters were. My initial contact was with one recruiter. After chatting with him, he handed me off to a second recruiter. She scheduled the second interview, after which i was handed off to a third recruiter. And after that, the email saying the position had been filled came from a fourth recruiter. Meanwhile, the recruiters that scheduled the interviews helped escort me around on site were different than any of these. It was very, very difficult to keep track of who to contact with questions, updates, and thank yous. I also think the job title of I was applying for changed at least once during this process, which led to a little confusion in the actual interviews, though all recruiters involved assured me it was the same position. More uncoordination: they asked me to fill out an application form, and I did so and turned it in at my screening interview. They then asked from this same form at every subsequent interview, and even once over email, and I had to keep reminding them I'd already done it. Also, just a gripe. All three of my on-site interviews were scheduled to begin in the morning, and they all lasted well past noon. I was only offered lunch once.

Interview Questions

• They asked how I'd scale a web app I'd previously developed in my spare time up to Facebook scale.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I have a phone interview at first. Before this, I asked the recruiter whether I cold apply to two positions. I was told not for now. Then, they arrange an phone chat for me.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

HR Screening, then technical Phone interview, based on questions related to Python and SQL