Facebook Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Great process. The recruiters are extremely professional and friendly and they established the expectations of the interviewing process like in no other company I've applied for.

I had a first 30 min screening interview and after that I had a round of 5 1:1 interviews with employees, testing me on math, quantitative analysis skills, software engineering questions and SQL. Everyone was friendly and non intimidating during the process.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview

First there are two rounds of phone interviews, followed by five rounds of interviews at MPK headquarter. The recruiter is super helpful and recommend books like 'Data Science Interviews Exposed' to me. During the phone interview, I was asked to answer some SQL questions in codedit website. So be prepared. The onsite visit is more casual. Only two rounds of technical questions, most of them can be found in the book the recruiter recommended.

Interview Questions

• Three ants are sitting at the three corners of an equilateral triangle. Each ant starts randomly picks a direction and starts to move along the edge of the triangle. The probability that none of the ants collide = [ ? / ? ] Follow-up: k ants are sitting at the k corners of an equilateral polygon. Each ant starts randomly picks a direction and starts to move along the edge of the triangle. The probability that none of the ants collide = [ ? / ? ]

Count how many trailing 0 in (100!)

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview process is long and drawn out. As expected, of course, for large tech companies these days. Unfortunately, data science interviews do not necessarily reflect the ability of applicants to do the job they are applying for, and do not reflect a normal day's work. More challenging questions about coding than would make sense for anyone with an analysis/stats background. Instead difficult questions should be focused on problem solving skills

Interview Questions

• Write a sorting algorithm for a numerical dataset in Python.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Was contacted ~month after employee referral.

Brief On-Site (because I was local, mostly this is a single 45-minute phone screen): I had two 30-minute interviews - one was mathy (prob/stats) and the other was SQL.

Recruiter got back to me in 24-48 hours, invited back for on-site.

On-site was 5 interviews: 2 Analytics (prob/stats/brainteasers), 1 SQL, 1 Product, 1 (basic) programming

Interview Questions

• If we were testing product X, what metrics would you look at to determine if it is a success?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me via Linkedin. Two weeks later, I had a forty-five minute phone screen, with focus on SQL and probability questions. Two weeks later I had the onsite with six 30-minute interviews, with focus on SQL, probability, and product management. I ended up not getting an offer, rejection arrived in four days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Consider a game with 2 players, A and B. Player A has 8 stones, player B has 6. Game proceeds as follows. First, A rolls a fair 6-sided die, and the number on the die determines how many stones A takes over from B. Next, B rolls the same die, and the exact same thing happens in reverse. This concludes the round. Whoever has more stones at the end of the round wins and the game is over. If players end up with equal # of stones at the end of the round, it is a tie and another round ensues. What is the probability that B wins in 1, 2, ..., n rounds?   9 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me to set up a series of phone interviews. I then had 3 phone/computer interviews with different types of employees. Had I passed the phone interviews, the next step is an onsite with 5 interviews. In general this was my first interview of this type and I was not well prepared.

Interview Questions

• Multiple probability and statistic questions, multiple algorithm programming questions, multiple database questions, multiple product information questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

First a screening phone call, then half-hour onsite, then 5 half-hour interviews. Almost all SQL & data analysis questions. Some logic/probability questions at the end. Very smooth & good communication. Not much else to say.

Interview Questions

• They described a transactional table, ask for SQL on whiteboard to generate a fact table.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This is probably one of the worst experience of my life in interviewing for a data scientist position. The recruiter reached out me and asked me to study a laborious list of Python, R, SQL, hive, statistics and probability. The recruiter scheduled the phone interview which they constantly kept rescheduling, very unprofessional ofcourse! The interviewer arrived on to call and started with the word "kool" and asked me to open the coderblock. He didn't even care to ask what my name was. He rushed on to the first interview question and asked me a probability question and i gave the answer within a minute. Pat came the reply! Wrong answer! (Even though it was 100% right answer). The interviewer kept pushing me that my answer was incorrect. And he started suggesting me to proceed in his own way and he consumed almost 25 minutes on this. Then he asked me a basic SQL question which he tried to complicate it by not providing the list of values in the table and just complicating that it is tough question. He kept changing his stance on how a record looks and what is the unique key. Then he asked me do you have any questions. He tried to act "kool" as if he has invented the world. I asked him what tools do you use? He kept saying we use hive, python etc and tried to act like he was "uber" cool. I would strongly recommend not to go forward with the recruiting process as you will probably waste your valuable time.

Interview Questions

• Pick up a coin C1 given C1+C2 with probability of trials p(h1)=.7, p(h2)=.6 and doing 10 trials. And what is the probability that the given coin you picked is C1 given you have 7 heads and 3 tails?   3 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Applied online, which takes more than two month that a recruiter contact me. After contacting me, everything moves very fast. My recruiter set up the phone call in two days, and one day after the phone interview, I got the updates that I can have an onsite interview.
    Five onsite interviews, one is really horrible. The interviewer did not respect the interviewee, maybe I was not answering the question correctly. But he should not only focus on his computer and seemed that he did not want to talk. Later I asked a question which should be very basic question, he just simply answer:"this is internal question, I do not want to answer." God, horrible experience.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Reached out by a recruiter to go over my background, interests. Followed up with one phone interview, and an onsite with 5 people (Data Scientists, analysts, managers), and a campus tour.

Questions are not difficult- preparing machine learning high level questions (standard questions, not very academic focused); SQL querying; Probability and game theory puzzles, Statistics 101.

HR sends you a standard email on what to expect in the interview - it is more like a formality, if you're a Data Scientist, this is stuff that you do in your day to day work.

Interview Questions

• I can't share specific questions, but they're generally around what metrics you would look at for a particular product, how would you interpret them, etc.   Answer Question

1. HR is not responsive at all. My onsite wasn’t coordinated well, you have to follow up multiple times to get updates on the interview. They promise a particular date by when decisions would be made, but never get back by the promised date. This particular HR also trash talked about many big tech companies in the Bay Area, and why FB is better than them. She went further ahead to discuss personal details about some specific candidates (highly unprofessional)
    2. I enjoyed the telephonic interview, the person showed interest in knowing more about my background, having a conversation. The onsite interviewers were terrible, it seemed they were following very specific rules laid out to them
    3. There was very little time at the end of in person interviews to ask questions about the job, projects, team, etc. They have 30 mins per interview, and they keep asking you questions without providing much information about the job
    4. Some Data Scientists interviewing you seem very inexperienced. They have less than a couple years of experience and they couldn’t hold a conversation. The questions asked were not framed well, I had to ask multiple clarifying questions to understand what was being asked
    5. One of the interviewers came totally unprepared and spent the first 10 minute trash talking and staring into his laptop, and then said - “I think I found a question that I can ask you. I haven’t read it completely, so I shall walk to the board with my laptop, to make sure I get it right”

Overall, the inexperience/lack of preparedness of data scientists and non responsiveness of the HR made the experience very bad.