Facebook Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

Recruiter reached out to me via Linkedin. Two weeks later, I had a forty-five minute phone screen, with focus on SQL and probability questions. Two weeks later I had the onsite with six 30-minute interviews, with focus on SQL, probability, and product management. I ended up not getting an offer, rejection arrived in four days after the interview.

Interview Questions
  • Consider a game with 2 players, A and B. Player A has 8 stones, player B has 6. Game proceeds as follows. First, A rolls a fair 6-sided die, and the number on the die determines how many stones A takes over from B. Next, B rolls the same die, and the exact same thing happens in reverse. This concludes the round. Whoever has more stones at the end of the round wins and the game is over. If players end up with equal # of stones at the end of the round, it is a tie and another round ensues. What is the probability that B wins in 1, 2, ..., n rounds?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

Recruiter contacted me to set up a series of phone interviews. I then had 3 phone/computer interviews with different types of employees. Had I passed the phone interviews, the next step is an onsite with 5 interviews. In general this was my first interview of this type and I was not well prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Multiple probability and statistic questions, multiple algorithm programming questions, multiple database questions, multiple product information questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

First a screening phone call, then half-hour onsite, then 5 half-hour interviews. Almost all SQL & data analysis questions. Some logic/probability questions at the end. Very smooth & good communication. Not much else to say.

Interview Questions
    • They described a transactional table, ask for SQL on whiteboard to generate a fact table.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

This is probably one of the worst experience of my life in interviewing for a data scientist position. The recruiter reached out me and asked me to study a laborious list of Python, R, SQL, hive, statistics and probability. The recruiter scheduled the phone interview which they constantly kept rescheduling, very unprofessional ofcourse! The interviewer arrived on to call and started with the word "kool" and asked me to open the coderblock. He didn't even care to ask what my name was. He rushed on to the first interview question and asked me a probability question and i gave the answer within a minute. Pat came the reply! Wrong answer! (Even though it was 100% right answer). The interviewer kept pushing me that my answer was incorrect. And he started suggesting me to proceed in his own way and he consumed almost 25 minutes on this. Then he asked me a basic SQL question which he tried to complicate it by not providing the list of values in the table and just complicating that it is tough question. He kept changing his stance on how a record looks and what is the unique key. Then he asked me do you have any questions. He tried to act "kool" as if he has invented the world. I asked him what tools do you use? He kept saying we use hive, python etc and tried to act like he was "uber" cool. I would strongly recommend not to go forward with the recruiting process as you will probably waste your valuable time.

Interview Questions
    • Pick up a coin C1 given C1+C2 with probability of trials p(h1)=.7, p(h2)=.6 and doing 10 trials. And what is the probability that the given coin you picked is C1 given you have 7 heads and 3 tails?   View Answer

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Applied online, which takes more than two month that a recruiter contact me. After contacting me, everything moves very fast. My recruiter set up the phone call in two days, and one day after the phone interview, I got the updates that I can have an onsite interview.
    Five onsite interviews, one is really horrible. The interviewer did not respect the interviewee, maybe I was not answering the question correctly. But he should not only focus on his computer and seemed that he did not want to talk. Later I asked a question which should be very basic question, he just simply answer:"this is internal question, I do not want to answer." God, horrible experience.

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Reached out by a recruiter to go over my background, interests. Followed up with one phone interview, and an onsite with 5 people (Data Scientists, analysts, managers), and a campus tour.

Questions are not difficult- preparing machine learning high level questions (standard questions, not very academic focused); SQL querying; Probability and game theory puzzles, Statistics 101.

HR sends you a standard email on what to expect in the interview - it is more like a formality, if you're a Data Scientist, this is stuff that you do in your day to day work.

Interview Questions
    • I can't share specific questions, but they're generally around what metrics you would look at for a particular product, how would you interpret them, etc.   Answer Question

1. HR is not responsive at all. My onsite wasn’t coordinated well, you have to follow up multiple times to get updates on the interview. They promise a particular date by when decisions would be made, but never get back by the promised date. This particular HR also trash talked about many big tech companies in the Bay Area, and why FB is better than them. She went further ahead to discuss personal details about some specific candidates (highly unprofessional)
    2. I enjoyed the telephonic interview, the person showed interest in knowing more about my background, having a conversation. The onsite interviewers were terrible, it seemed they were following very specific rules laid out to them
    3. There was very little time at the end of in person interviews to ask questions about the job, projects, team, etc. They have 30 mins per interview, and they keep asking you questions without providing much information about the job
    4. Some Data Scientists interviewing you seem very inexperienced. They have less than a couple years of experience and they couldn’t hold a conversation. The questions asked were not framed well, I had to ask multiple clarifying questions to understand what was being asked
    5. One of the interviewers came totally unprepared and spent the first 10 minute trash talking and staring into his laptop, and then said - “I think I found a question that I can ask you. I haven’t read it completely, so I shall walk to the board with my laptop, to make sure I get it right”

Overall, the inexperience/lack of preparedness of data scientists and non responsiveness of the HR made the experience very bad.

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

applied through an employee referral.
    didn't hear from the HR for months until the referral asked again.
    contacted by HR for phone screening. went through resume and asked about previous experience, projects worked on, desired position, etc.

Then a phone interview. An employee called, chatted a little bit, and then went to technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • business sense:
      There are two types of cars A and B. The number of people in US who use A
      and B are the same. They drive the same distances each month.
      Now there are two new technologies, X and Y (of equal cost).
      If apply X, mpg of A would increase from 50 mpg to 75 mpg;
      If apply Y, mpg of B would increase from 10 mpg to 11 mpg.

The goal is to decrease the dependence on foreign oil, or to decrease the
      consumption of gasoline.

Question: which technology would you apply?
      Follow up question: after applying the technology of your choice, assume
      there's money available for research on new technology, which car would you
      choose to conduct research on?

View Answers (3)
    • data question:
      dialoglog
      (userid int
      appid int
      type char , a flag either "imp" or "click"
      ds timestamp

How would you access the quality of app?
      How to compute click-through rate (in mySQL)?

View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I came in contact with Facebook employees at a conference and was invited to a recruiting event the next evening. I originally had a phone screen with a recruiter for a position that was too technical for me, but she was still interested in me and encouraged me to check out other jobs listed on the site.

I did find the Data Scientist position fit my qualifications, and let her know. From that point, the process took about 3 weeks. After another recruiter screen for the second position, I had a technical phone screen and was then invited to fly down to Menlo Park for an in-person interview.

I was definitely challenged in the in-person interview with fairly difficult math, probability, statistics, and SQL questions. I wasn't able to solve every problem, but they are mostly interested in how you think about it and how far you get. I did email the solution the next day for the one I didn't completely solve.

The recruiters did prepare me fairly well for what to expect, and I enjoyed that the interview was almost exclusively technical. No 'tell me about a time when...' questions.

Interview Questions
    I did not choose to negotiate as it was already the strongest offer I had of three.

Data Scientist Interview

Was contacted through email and then had our initial phone call. After that, the interviewing process became a total mess. The recruiter frequently did not respond for days, handed me off to another recruiter, and scheduled interview times which I explicitly said were not possible for me. I understand they are busy during recruiting season but this showed a lack of care for the candidate in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • I got tripped up by a question on probability and game theory during my second phone interview.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter and she set up a technical interview for me. But the interviewer was late for about 15 minutes for the phone interview. Then we rushed to coding questions. He gave me some question and asked me to code. I would say these coding question looked simply but it is difficult to get them right without bugs in one time.

Interview Questions
    • I would say the question was expected but there were tricks. It would not be easy to get them right in one time under the interview setting.   Answer Question