Facebook

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Palo Alto, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2012.

Interview Details – two phone interviews, BST print by level, String manipulation

Interview Questions

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiter mailed me and wanted to know my interest in FB. He possibly found my email ID from a Programming Contest Site. It was a surprise mail because the same recruiter wanted to speak to me a year back, but never called despite scheduling times on three occasions. But this time he did call and set me up for a Phone Interview. I got passed two Phone interviews, as I was scheduled for a third one. Few days after the third, I get a thank you mail from them saying I don't have the right skill for the positions that's open now. Since I got the bad news after the third interview, I would mention that one in a bit more detail.
He called on time. He knew that I got passed two rounds and then for quite some time we discussed about the kind of things done in FB. He reminded me that he is in a very responsible position and is the right man to ask for in depth question about FB. His overall attitude was friendly. After the talking, he asked me two coding question and I had to code on Collabedit. The problem difficulties were easy, but after coding he asked me to improve on certain section of the code. There was also a requirement that the code must compile. Now, I was typing on an Web Based editor without any compile option and I am not sure if its considered a big skill to have the code compile on first type. From my part, I would say I did well if not excellent.
They mentioned they would consider me when posts open up. Not sure if this is how they mail out Reject mails, or they are considering my positive aspects of passing two phone rounds.

Interview Questions

• Write a C function to define strstr(char *haystack, char * needle) to return the first occurrence of needle in haystack. Code must compile and execute.   View Answers (4)
  • write a C function to define strcmp(char *s1, char *s2) to return negative if s1 is smaller, positive if s2 is greater and 0 if they are equal.   View Answers (2)

Palo Alto, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Facebook in May 2010.

Interview Details – I had phone interview from facebook. The engineer asked a couple of engineering questions. One is how to create class instance dynamically in C++, in other words simulating the runtime of java. The other is an algorithm problem. I can be solved by dynamic programming. Then the interviewer asked the time complexity my solution. Using master theorem, it can solved simply.

Interview Question – How to create class instance at runtime in C++   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Facebook in May 2010.

Interview Details – Watch out, this company flies you out and takes care of the hotel, but they don't mention ground transportation, and you get stuck with a pretty hefty bill if you don't know your way around.
As for the interview, they send a lot of mixed messages - the website states that you should dress business for the interview, but I was dissed by one of the staff for doing exactly that (I was overdressed!). In general, I found a lack of mature, objective questions and comments from some of the interview team, who were more interested if I fit in than whether I could do the job. It felt like I was back in high school and I was expected to be cool enough to be allowed into the "A" group.
The pay and benefits are good, and I'm sure it's a good place to work if you're good at being part of the "A" group. I think this company needs some maturity and consistency.

Interview Question – Do you always dress like that?   View Answers (4)

San Jose, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2010.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews that were pretty basic and standard. There were a lot of questions about how does Facebok work, experience using Facebook, etc. After a couple of weeks I went to Facebook's campus and had 3 in-person interviews. 2 of the 3 were technical interviews. Both of the technical interviews involved problem solving and drawing solutions on a whiteboard. The other interview was a business development type interview. That one involved a lot of questions about how I thought Facebook could improve, how could they monetize, etc. In all the questions were fair and the people I met with were very nice. It would have been an exciting opportunity, but unfortunately, it didn't work out.

Interview Question – How does FB work   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Palo Alto, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in June 2009.

Interview Details – The recruiting department is incredibly cool. After the interview the recruiter actually called me to tell me my skills were NOT good enough. This is very unusual in the job hunting world.
Also, facebook doesnt really care about a degree if you have experience even if they say they require one.
However, without computer science knowledge you will fail the interview.

Interview Question – Pass a list of word to a function
[car, rats, arc, star]
and have the function group the words which are anagrams of eachother.
  View Answers (5)

Bangalore (India)

Interviewed at Facebook

Interview Details – mail communication at an event for women hiring. The Indian woman interviewer told my company that I have appeared for their interview since she saw many good product related contributions. She rejected me for my past companies and lack of American accent. My manager and the hiring manager then wanted to throw me out of the company and convinced the interviewer to tell the HR that I have revealed confidential information to fb during interview. HR asked me to leave the company saying it was an elimination of role and gave me 3 months basic pay, and was telling me about some confidentiality policy.

Interviewed at Facebook

Interview Details – I was contacted by an employee through LinkedIn, who performed a phone screening before setting me up with a member of their technical team for a technical phone interview. I passed the technical interview and they invited me to interview on site. The interviews were 100% technical and the answers were very challenging.

Interview Question – Questions were all similar in nature to others described. Variation on standard algorithms and data structures.   Answer Question

Engineering

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in November 2011.

Interview Details – I completed the coding challenge from Facebook on interviewstreet.com. Recruiter contacted me after 3 days to say I completed it successfully and whether I'd like to arrange a screening interview. Afterwards we scheduled an 45-min interview with engineer. There was another coding challenge there which I haven't completed successfully and I haven't gotten any feedback after interview.

Interview Question – Given an unsorted array of integers, find a 3-element subset that sums to zero   View Answers (2)

Engineering

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2011.

Interview Details – They had a HR person screened me. Asked a few things about why I want to work for FB, what improvements, and am I familiar with the engineering processes etc. There was a list of 6 to 8 questions.

When I asked if he read my work samples, he was totally bewildered.

The sad thing is he forgot to asked the last question on the list. Actually called me back to complete the interview.

Very young chap who sounded VERY INEXPERIENCED.

I kind of wished I spoke to the technical team instead.

Interview Question – What will you do to improve FB?   Answer Question

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!