Facebook

Updated Feb 13, 2015
Updated Feb 13, 2015

3.2

Front End Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Had a connection who linked me up with a recruiter. Whole process took about 2 months. Started with an initial phone screen followed by a coding challenge. Interviewed in person at a branch office, then they flew me out for an on site interview. They flew me all the way out from the midwest for a 40 minute interview that the guy was 10 minutes late for. We ran out of time halfway through me answering one of the questions which I guess is why I didn't get the internship. Kinda sucks cuz I was really on track to answer it correctly but it's their loss. Liked the free trip though.

Interview Questions
  • If you were building a search tool and wanted search results to pop up as you typed but the server call was taxing, write a function that gets called on every key down but calls the server when the user stops typing for 400ms.   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Gave resume to recruiter on campus, was set aside for a Front End position given experiences on resume. Contacted later by the Front End recruiter. Did a mostly behavioral phone interview, a coding challenge, another phone interview, then on-sites.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews were easier than expected...pretty much basic algorithm questions in JS with some HTML/CSS mixed in   View Answer
    The package was generous; didn't feel like negotiating for internship salary. I'll probably negotiate if offered full-time. Free food and housing made the overall comp higher than other offers I received.

Front End Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

The process was very quick and efficient, and took about 4 weeks, as far as I remember.

The recruiter (Facebook's own employee) was very good, kept me updated on the process throughout the different interviews etc. The same for the phone interviews, they really know their stuff.

The on-site interviewers were friendly, engaged in the interviews (except one, she was working on her laptop during the session) and they want you to succeed, it definitely feels like they are on your side.

The entire interview process was a very positive experience. I might apply again another time.

Interview Questions
    • I struggled with the whiteboard coding part of the interview. You need to be good at working with algorithms, something I haven't really worked with on that level in my +20 years of coding experience.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Recruiter reached out after applying online. A coding challenge, followed by a screen, and then on on site all day. All questions asked were totally reasonable and focused on my background/experience. No "why are man holes round questions". My interviewers were great at asking questions and holding an engaging conversation.

Interview Questions
    • They were more interested in my background than most interviews I've experienced.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in April 2014.

Process began via a phone call from a recruiter. Recruiter took down a few biographic details including education and work history, and then promised a follow-up soon. I was sent a coding puzzle, which I completed in a couple days and sent back. A few days later, I confirmed a phone interview via email.

A week after the phone interview, the recruiter called back and told me they'd like to bring me on site for one of their "university days" which included a bunch (it varies - I had 3) back-to-back interviews, each about 45 minutes long, followed by lunch, and a tour.

About a week after that, I was told of my final result via email. It's possible the recruitment team could have worked faster; I just decided to play it slow and make more deliberate moves.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was the initial puzzle, which is a sizeable project. The phone interview was mainly focused on Javascript DOM tree manipulation. On-site questions included a few quick algorithms questions (flatten an array), design/code a poll widget. All of the questions were heavy on JS, which is expected for this position.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

First phone screening included couple of Javascript Questions about functions you can perform on strings. Also CSS related questions like difference between block and inline. Followed by a kind of homework to build a layout for a calendar where events added on the calendar that collide in time can't visually collide but should take same width with the events that they collide in time with.

After that another 45 minutes interview that was a chat on my previous projects and why I wanted to work for facebook plus 2 Javascript question on Collabedit.

Interview Questions
    • Given a node from a DOM tree find the node in the same position from an identical DOM tree.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Started with an internal HR phone screen after I submitted my cv on Facebook's career website. Then typical 2 tech phone screens before I was taken to the Facebook HQ. Interviewers and HRs were all very nice, smart and passionate. I felt I had done not too bad on the on-site interview, even though I did need quite help from the interviewers and the code on the whiteboard was definitely not beautiful. The feedback turned out that I wasn't so good to get into the UI/UX team. One week after the on-site interview, I was arranged for another interview over the phone with a different team, but it's totally not my area, so it's not surprising it got busted. Generally very good experience, very nice and helpful HR people and excited to be able to visit Facebook campus.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2013.

A recruiter emailed me then scheduled a brief preliminary phone call. They asked about my experience and why I'd be interested in working at Facebook and explained the recruitment process.

The next day I was sent a front-end coding puzzle/challenge to complete, which took about 10 hours. Given a set of boxes with fixed vertical dimensions I had to implement a JavaScript algorithm that lays them out according to some specifications.

A phone interview was scheduled about a week after completing the puzzle. I spoke with a front-end engineer and coded through a few HTML/CSS/JS questions using a shared document. My thought process was emphasized more than getting syntactically-correct answers, as long as I could explain what I was trying to do.

The next day I was told I would move on to the next phase and was flown to California about 2 weeks later. The in-person interview consisted of 4 45-minute interviews, each of which were similar to the phone interview. We talked a bit about why I would like to work at Facebook and wrote code on a whiteboard. I was asked to write how I would implement visual UI features, array search/mutation algorithms, and JS performance functions.

Throughout the process the recruiters were quick to reply to my emails and open to any questions I had. However after I was told I didn't get an offer they stopped being that helpful and couldn't offer me a way to obtain feedback about my interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Given an input array and another array that describes a new index for each element, mutate the input array so that each element ends up in their new index. Discuss the runtime of the algorithm and how you can be sure there won't be any infinite loops.   View Answers (7)

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2009.

I applied for another position two months prior to being contacted about another position the recruiter felt I was more suited. The phone interview was typical recruiter conversation (CV, languages, types of projects, why I wanted to work at Facebook). I was then asked to complete a code exercise in JS or PHP. It involved sorting and arranging overlapping events on a day calendar like iCal. While I easily complete the exercise and accommodated for all stated and unstated event scenarios, I was told that Facebook was no longer interested after reviewing my code. I was quite surprised and requested additional feedback, but they did not provide it. I gave them several hours of my time to complete their test. The least they could have done was give me 10 more minutes of theirs.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Facebook?   Answer Question
    • Are you a designer or developer? You can't possibly be both. It's incomprehensible.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

A recruiter approached me through email. I had a quick online interview with typical HR questions (experience, why would you like to join, etc) and 4 very simple technical questions. The interviewer was very polite and explained the entire process. Afterwards, I received a coding challenge via email and was given 3 weeks to complete it. The interviewer garanteed I could take my time. I completed it in something like 10 hours over the span of 1 week and a half (busy week at work) and delivered the results pretty confident that I wrote clean code, with tooling, comments and even specs. After that, in half a day I received a single "no" with zero feedback. I suspect they are not measuring your ability to solve the problem, but something else, as it was pretty much solved perfectly... Anyways, I was saddened by the lack of feedback - as others pointed out, if we gave them hours of time, they could at least point what was missing.

Interview Questions
    • The coding challenge was confidential. The first technical questions were very basic JavaScript, though.   Answer Question