Facebook

Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

I was contacted by Facebook recruiter via Linkedin inmail. I replied back and we scheduled a phone call with the recruiter. The recruiter also sent me a link to the job posting she was trying to staff and a few opencompute.org links.

Few days later we had the phone call. The recruiter asked me some basic technical questions like: What do you look at PCB design review? What is your experience with voltage regulation?... Later in the call the recruiter mentioned she will need my resume and they want me to do Hardware Practical Test. I agreed

I took me a few days to get my resume ready during which I was pinged by the recruiter to make sure I am still in business. I thought it is a good sign and that they want to move fast. After few days I sent the resume and we scheduled the Hardware Practical. The format of the Hardware Piratical is that they send it to you over email and you should reply with a solution within an hour. See the exact monostable circuit question below.

I fully and timely solved the Hardware Practical. I tested my solution in circuit simulator. I documented my solution. I printed it out and verified that it meets the requirements. After sending the solution I have not heard from them for a week. It was surprising as it is probably a question they have sent out many times so they should be able to check it quickly. It is not like the final go hiring decision. In between the recruiter called me and asked me some more questions , how you troubleshoot a signal integrity issue and what interfaces are you familiar with DDR, PCIe, SATA ect....

I always feel awkward when the recruiter is asking me technical questions. Especially open ended ones. Can we really develop technical discussion there or do I need to match some pattern that Facebook Engineer gave to this recruiter?

After a week I got an email that I am not a fit. It was surprising as I am very confident about the Hardware Practical solution. She also did not provide any clue as to why I am not a fit, over qualified? Not relevant experience? Hardware Practical? Something else?

Overall experience is negative. I would expect Facebook to be more open, professional and prompt in their communication with candidates. Also IMHO making the recruiter ask technical question is not the best idea.

Interview Questions
  • Design a circuit with 0V to 3.3V step at the input and negative 1ms pule at the output.
    Input: ___|----- CIRCUIT Output: -----|_____|------

in,the,circuit,that,are,switching.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Hardware Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Initially contacted from recruiter within the company, after that I had a phone screening that consisted of some technical questions. Next, it was an on-site interview which consisted of one on one meetings about 45mins each, including a lunch. Most questions were problem solving (regarding HW validation) and some behavioral.

I didn't really like some of the people who interviewed me. One was very rude, on his phone the entire time. He may have been taking notes but it is polite to state that and make the person interviewing comfortable. This person was also very arrogant and I didn't feel like he was even listening to my responses. Another guy who interviewed me kept asking me about CPU pipeline after I told him I don't know anything about the topic. I'm not sure why he was stuck on it. I told him I have a better understanding of the platform than I do CPU pipeline and drew him a block diagram of an entire system/platform.

Only a couple of the folks interviewing me actually seemed like high caliber people. One was from manufacturing (works with ODM/OEM on QA) and the other was the PM (program manager). The rest seemed very junior, including the tech recruiter.

I felt like I was at a college campus and I could see how egos could be running wild here, as if it were a popularity contest.

Interview Questions
    • If I give you some DRAM, NVM (Flash) Memory, and a HDD, how would you perform a QA on it.   Answer Question

Seemed like it could be a very chaotic place to work, with very limited senior people.

Hardware Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

After initial email contact, talked on phone with HR person on detail of the position.
    Next step was to set aside a 1 hr time slot to do a "hardware design practical" test.
    Unfortunately, I was not invited to continue with the job application process after the design practical exam.

Interview Questions
    • Hardware design practical test question that is irrelevant to the job description.   View Answer