Facebook IOS Engineer Interview Questions

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a Facebook recruiter via Linkedin. She invited me to a Facebook conference in Chicago, however, it was clear that the point of the conference was to interview potential candidates. We scheduled an initial phone call, which she called in to 10 minutes late. We talked about the event, what my career goals are, if I was willing to relocate, and then she eased in 5 basic iOS questions. I answered enough of the screening questions correctly and we scheduled a 1:1 interview. The recruiter sent me an email full of links to prepare for the interview. She also told me to look on Glassdoor for interview questions. Some of the email links were broken, and only a few of the resources/reviews proved to be very helpful. I attended the conference, which was just a few hours long, and had a 1:1 interview the next day. The interview was scheduled to be only 45 minutes, and we basically went straight into technical questions. There was only time for 2 questions and they involved writing code in a text editor that had code completion, it wasn't Xcode and was a little awkward to use. The questions were somewhat difficult, and would either require memorization of the Foundation framework or you would have had to have implemented that code recently in a real application to answer correctly. After that, there was a whole 3 minutes for any questions that I had before I was hurried off and the next candidate was processed. After the interview, I spoke with the recruiter briefly about how it went, and immediately knew there would be some somber news coming. The recruiter scheduled a follow-up and called me back later the next week (15 minutes late) to give me the feedback from the interviewer. The feedback was not constructive, or helpful in any way. In fact, it didn't seem like any thought was put into it at all. I would even say it was on the border of disrespectful, but you can probably get away with that when you are young, important, and working for Facebook. The feedback could have been "buzz off" and I would have taken it equally as well.

Interview Questions

• How could you cancel a block in the operation queue after it has been dispatched?   2 Answers
  • How would you copy a custom object like a "Node" from a search tree in Objective C?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

IOS Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn and asked for a CV. After a week or so, they contacted me back asking to answer general questions (regarding relocation possibilities, etc.) and four technical easy questions: Views: A square subview is centered when viewed in landscape. When the device is rotated to portrait, the square ends up closer to the top-right corner. What's wrong? Memory: What memory management policy do you use for an object's delegate? Why? UX: When would you use a home-screen navigation or tab-bar navigation? Understanding of platform: What is toll-free bridging? After that, they've arranged a skype interview with Facebook engineer. The guy was iOS-developer and after briefly asking about my past experience, started with questions like follows: -how will you describe iOS manual memory management for a new developer in few words? -how would you implement call for canceling queued blocks with dispatch_after? -Given a set of 2D points, some integer k, find the k points closest to the origin, (0,0).

Interview Questions

• -how would you implement call for canceling queued blocks with dispatch_after?   1 Answer

IOS Engineer Interview

Interview

Got in touch with a recruiter through a friend, and they passed me along to a mobile recruiter. I had 2 technical phone interviews—one more general CS stuff, and the other specific to iOS. After that, they flew me out to Facebook HQ, where I interviewed with 4 members of the iOS team.

Interview Questions

• Lots of standard challenge type questions.   1 Answer